General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

i need some basic help, for a coolant recovery tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:24 PM

i need some basic help, for a coolant recovery tank

hi, and thanks for any advice.
I have a 1996 Formula Firebird I have owned for about 17 years now. I need to replace the coolant overflow tank. I bought a Dorman tank #603-116 and a hose from AcDelco # 16271m. my old tank has a aluminum (I think) pipe that goes into the 3/4" hole on the top, then about a 1/4" pipe that goes along under the battery. my problem is I can not get the aluminum pipe. does anyone know where I could find that? or tell me if i need to remove the old one and re-use it? if so any help as to how would be greatly appreciated. would i use silicone to seal it?
any direction would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for your help
Old 07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Re: i need some basic help, for a coolant recovery tank

Pretty sure the metal tube can be removed from the old tank. There is also a grommet where it enters. The tank is not pressurized, so there is no need for serious sealing of the opening.

That said, if you do manage to get the metal pipe out, examine it closely for pinholes. They are know to corrode, and once you have a pinhole, the vacuum that develops in the radiator as it cools, can't pull the replacement coolant from the reservoir. In the past, I've suggested using a copper tube of similar diameter, which would be easier to bend to the correct shape, but no one ever came back and told me if that worked.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 PM

thank you for the idea, I do have a problem with the coolant sometimes spilling out of the
overflow tank. that is why I was thinking of replacing it. your idea about having a hole in the aluminum pipe makes sense. I will look for that.

if anyone else has ideas, I would love to hear about replacing the pipe and plug going inside the overflow tank. thanks again
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=scottpdx2010;6993973]thank you for the idea, I do have a problem with the coolant sometimes spilling out of the
overflow tank.

Curious, are you saying coolant is escaping where the Cap screws on ?

This is not normal. How full is the Coolant Tank when cold, and when hot ?
Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM
Administrator

When you replace the lost coolant, are you adding it to the reservoir or the radiator? If the radiator is often low, and there are no leaks in the cooling system, it may be an indication that the small rubber overflow hose or the metal pipe on the reservoir has a leak, losing vacuum. If the radiator is low and you top it off, you have to bleed the air out of the system, or it can develop hot spots that boil the coolant and blow coolant into the reservoir.

Unfortunately, a blown head gasket may do the same thing.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 PM

thank you both, real good information there.
gaedbo, it is not leaking where the cap screws on, honestly I have not found the exact place it is leaking. and yes, I have overfilled it a few times, an I understand that, but it will work out until the low coolant sensor goes off. I did replace the sensor a couple months ago.

Injuneer, I think you might have it. I do need to inspect the hose. I normaly put it inside the radiator when I see the light go off and the car is cold. the overflow is always under the overflow tank. I will first bleed the line. then inspect the hose.
I do understand the head gasket, I had it replaced last year with a similar problem.
thank you all for your assistance
Old 07-22-2017, 12:37 AM

injuneer, if that is it, I have a new rubber hose, and your idea about a piece of copper sounds good. in fact I think I have the right size where I work.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:06 PM

If you have a bad portion of the factory aluminum pipe, you can salvage it by just splicing out the bad section with some rubber hose. It does not come under pressure, but just has to be water tight.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:16 PM

thank you shoebox, next week I am going to pull the overflow tank, and maybe replace it
and check the pipe as you say. thank you all for your help. I will let you know what I find out next week.

I just pray it is the recovery tank, and not my other head gasket.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 PM

thank you all, after a closer exam, I found a pin hole on the rubber hose past the aluminum pipe. the replacement hose I got had to be cut to fit, but that done I think I got it fixed. thank you all for your help.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Glad you found the problem. Thanks for taking the time to follow up.