General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How much will a spark plug change cost me

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 07:32 PM

How much will a spark plug change cost me

And I am pretty sure it is in need of a tune up. Planning on getting new plugs and wires, fuel filter, tune, and sea foam in the next couple weeks.

How much should I pay for a spark plug change? I dont have a garage, and have never changed the plugs on an LT1 before, so I would rather just bend over and let someone else do it. I dont want to end up spending $500 either.

Any recommendations on plugs and wires? Car is bone stock and just rolled 60K miles.

Any recommendations on other things to do to get it in tip top shape? I just changed the tranny fluid a couple weeks ago, along with the rear diff. The suspension is going to get thoroughly looked over and parts replaced as needed.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM

I can't tell you the cost of labor, but a set of stock AC-Delco wires will be fine.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:11 PM

I paid someone to change my wires once. When I pulled the engine, I found they did not change the #7 wire b/c it runs under the exhaust manifold and was apparently too difficult for them to get to.
Many run NGK TR-5s or TR-55 plugs.
MSD Superconductors are also popular, but I have read many complaints about Taylor wires.
Labor is probably between $100-200. It ain't easy.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I paid someone to change my wires once. When I pulled the engine, I found they did not change the #7 wire b/c it runs under the exhaust manifold and was apparently too difficult for them to get to.
Many run NGK TR-5s or TR-55 plugs.
MSD Superconductors are also popular, but I have read many complaints about Taylor wires.
Labor is probably between $100-200. It ain't easy.
Yeah I just got off the phone with a guy I know who works at a shop and he gave me an ear full about how much of a PITA it is. He told me I might as well upgrade to headers while I'm at it. The problem with that is I DD this car, even in the snow. I'm sure the salt would kill headers in no time.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:39 PM

Check Rock Auto for wires. They have AC Delco and Delphi. I've been using Autolite APP106 double platinum plugs. Never had one of them foul, it's always been the wires that gave me trouble.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by The Captain
Yeah I just got off the phone with a guy I know who works at a shop and he gave me an ear full about how much of a PITA it is. He told me I might as well upgrade to headers while I'm at it. The problem with that is I DD this car, even in the snow. I'm sure the salt would kill headers in no time.
I am honestly considering OTVC wires next time. Not sure why GM routed those wires that way, but there it is. From what I could tell (and the guy on the phone seemed to verify to you) you have to pull the manifold to replace that wire correctly.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

No - it can be done without removing the exhaust manifold. I bought my Formula new in 1994. Within the first month, I had replaced the plug wires with a set of 8mm Taylors. I was able to remove the nut that holds the heat shield over the #7 wire, replace the wire, and reinstall the heat shield without removing anything. Just takes patience.

Routing the wires OTVC with stock exhaust manifolds is going to be a bigger problem with burnt wires than the stock location. Even with my headers, I run the wires under the headers, and have never had a burnt wire in the 10 years since the headers were installed. Again, it takes patience and the right hardware when running the wires. Admittedly, I don't use the Opti for the plug wires (8 LS1 coils hanging behind the lower radiator support) so the under the header routing may be a bit easier, without having to route the wires around the front of the engine.