General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

How To: Improved Ram Air (Hood Modification)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:06 PM

How To: Improved Ram Air (Hood Modification)

I was experimenting with my own ram air hood because after looking it over i thought it was pretty poorly designed. The entire hood is hollow. there is no seperation from where the ram air feeds from outside air and the rest of the hood and if you think about it in theory if you stop the air flow directly behind the ram air opening it has no other place to go but down threw the air box. Before I did this mod i thought about how the air would go into the hood if you think about it the air would go in threw the hood circulating insdie entire hood getting hotter. Also what air gets past the opening as it travels in will circulate back towards the incoming air working against you.

enough rambling here is the pitures:

This is a topvew picture of the mod with invisible lines drawn where things should go just to give you a better idea.

click to enlarge

In my modification I used foam pipe insulation (for 1" pipe") however you may find something better this worked well for me because you were able to push it up towards front of hood to seal up in front of the scoops on hood. I pushed it at an angle as you can see towards the corner where the headlight and nose piece meet. while doing this i noticed the hood was hollow up there as well and without doing this as well air will still get sucked in from the back of hood. In My paticular case i found it easier to take the 2 covers (grills wtever) off on the hood so i could make sure i was getting my foam where i wanted it. On under side of hood take notice to the boxed in part at the very front that the hood latch is mechanisim is bolted into you want to get your foam on each side of this box if your foam dont seal the edge of this box (hence pushing to corner) you will not have a seal.

Here is the Inside View and will prolly make alot more since and you can see the foam (barely). Thats one good thing about this you dont hurt the apearance of anything.

click to enlarge

even tho it is sloppy you can see in red where i drew how the foam will be pushed up towards the front corners of the hood. in the middle (on my hood) it comes down were mine has 2 scoops.. i used silicone here(this prolly wont be necescary on the more easy to find hoods for ram air 4th gen cars. ) its just something i did to make it work on mine. Yours may be totaly diff.. you may only use 1 long piece of foam pipe insulation where i used 2 pieces same idea same principle you want to keep the air from getting back behind the ram air box.

I have done no tests to back this up power wise. But id say it would make a pretty good increase on the amount and temp of incomeing air

all i know to tell ya is if you dont think it will work hold your hands over the ram air scoops before you do this and have someone rev... do this mod and feel how it sucks air afterwards

I may even do a video of this with some incense smoke before and after.. but for now don't have

Hope You enjoy
-Adam

Last edited by adamc; 08-28-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:17 PM

kind of reminds me of the old school ram air set ups.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator

You might want to mention the brand of the hood, since it obviously isn't a stocker. The "fix" would appear to be specific to that particular hood.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:53 AM

Does the airbox have a good seal up against the hood when its closed?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:33 PM

I am not sure what my hood is exactly its a "warbird" im pretty sure i dont think you can get them any more and it has no brand (custom) a guy that made them made his own mold i beleive. the ram air part of the hood is made the same as the 4th gen ram air hoods that came stock to use the stock ram air box. which is what im using (stock ram air box )

and yes the ram air box has a good seal with the hood. a rubber seal is glued around the edges of the box itself instead of foam seal glued around opening of hood..

but yes this should work on all forth gen cars with ram air hoods that have the ram air hooked up

*if i get time ill get some more pics of the box and hood"

Last edited by adamc; 09-01-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:11 AM

I also have a warbird hood. Me and the wife drove out to PA. To pick it up. Met the guy who made them and he seemed to be pretty cool! I think he's making custom body panels for vipers now. Any way..his shop was full of f body stuff and my hood is great! First one had a wave in it and he sent me a second one no charge. Real stand up guy. I think his site was Exotic customs.com or USexotic customs. If thats any help.