General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Transmission problems now..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Thumbs down Transmission problems now..

Ok so I finally got my 383 running good in my camaro for about a week then this past weekend I took it out for a 2 hour round trip, returned home and parked it in the garage everything fine and dandy.. Then yesterday I went to go get oil for an oil change and realized that I only have 2nd and 3rd gear when in overdrive! So what now? seriously. This is a CPT 'Race' built 4l60e that probably hasn't even seen 5k miles. Haven't driven this hard at all! From what I've read already it would appear that the transmission is in "limp mode" however there is no SES or codes coming up on my scanmaster. I've read about the solenoids going bad but figure that would throw also trigger a code right? TPS and IAC readings appear normal. VSS has already been swapped out with no luck. What do I do now? This is so irritating and the problems I have with this damn thing seem to just get worse or atleast more difficult for someone dumb like myself to fix alone.. maybe I should just sell it before it and my mind are fubar
Old 09-03-2018, 07:35 PM

Re: Transmission problems now..

For whatever its worth the 2 hour drive was mostly on the highway 80% of the time with speed up to 100mph tops. Definitely the longest trip I've made yet, but ran like a champ the entire way home. The car/trans sat for almost 2 years while the motor was built. So the solenoids aren't necessarily new... Does anyone know if they always set a code when they are bad?

Last edited by thenewkid; 09-03-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:49 PM

New shift solenoids changed nothing. voltage is present at both solenoid terminals..
I will continue to update for anyone else having this problem.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Administrator

I asked Frank at CPT (via email) to respond to this.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:04 AM

Sorry I've been offline for awhile. I've already talked to Frank, hes going to take a look at it soon as I can pull the transmission and ship it. Again.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM

For anyone troubleshooting similar 4l60e problems, mine turned out to be the band. Frank told me it was completely broken. Its relatively easy to rule out/ confirm if this is relative to your problem by applying ample force to the servo assembly (passenger side of the transmission) with a prybar or something with leverage. It shouldn't have much more than 1/16" of play if I recall correctly. Mine was close to 3/16" when I checked

However, id love to know what causes a band to go, I was told it was uncommon. Have any of you had this happen before?