General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

help me understand/use and pick a wideband A/F set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 PM

help me understand/use and pick a wideband A/F set up

Totally new to wideband. I have anew motor I'm putting in my car. Before it goes in I am planning on running a spray through the old motor and ensuring its good to go on new motor. New 255 fuel pump on the side. Looking to run propane on the fuel side of the wet kit. Still researching how to bump fuel preasure like a dry kit. This way its a three way dance on the spray. I want to make sure its staying in the proper A/F range. I was recomended to run a wide band instead of the narrowband I had planned to run. Problem is; more i read, the less I know it seems. So looking for some paths to take. New motor is a basic Balanced, blue printed 355, with 305 cam, gasket matched heads, intake and headers. Basic performance valve job. Computer to be sent off and programmed. 2800 stall (unless it sells) then it will be a 3500. 3:42's. Realistic basic bolt on stuff , common. Spray will be the odd shot on the track,(maybe run 30lb ls1 injectors, but read its not worth my time unless computer is reflashed for it) car is a pleasure toy I maybe put 300 a week on it. Cruise in's , track time, or enjoyable movie retriever. Looking to spray around 100-125 on the car. Any help?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

What info do you need... not sure I understand the question? You can't tune nitrous using only an A/F gauge. The fact that you are spraying with propane confuses the issue, because the stoichiometry of propane is not the same as the stoichiometry of gasoline. You will need to start it rich, and tune the fuel using the propane controls. All the time, checking all 8 plugs for signs of detonation. Once you find the sweet spot, the A/F gauge will help you stay there, and make sure it isn't running richer or leaner than you found using plug examination.

Confused about your need to raise the fuel pressure when spraying. You indicate you will be using propane for the extra fuel that the nitrous requires. What did I miss?

A 30# LS1 injector (what year LS1 used a 30# injector?) will only flow about 1 #/HR more than a stock LT1 24 #/HR injector, when run at the LT1's 43.5psi fuel pressure (vs. 58.0psi for the LS1's).
Old 05-25-2008, 12:07 PM

thank you injuneer, you answered and clairified it perfectly.
I was instructed to run same size on both the nitrous side and the gas side (using propane) use the a/f (wide band) to keep track, double check plugs. Once correct ratio is found, maintain it.
Only reason I was concerned to bump up preasure was to give a safety net for avoiding lean condition's. I do not know year of ls1 injectors, but from research since the post, it seems pointless to go through the hassle since the 225 pump will do what i require.
I'm being over protective i guess with the new motor and using spray.
Will keep you posted everyone.