General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Finally raising my hand for help lol

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Finally raising my hand for help lol

ok so I have a 96 z28 and she's been a dream never had a problem untill this...anyways I was driving one day it got to normal operation temp and shut down and wouldn't crank untill it cooled completely down. So this is my 3rd camaro of this body style so it isn't my first optispark problem and that's the first thing that hit my mind again with these things. But I replaced the icm first and didn't do it make a long story short I've played the replacing game way to long like an idiot instead of asking for help. I've replaced the coil, icm, optispark, plugs, fuel filter and numerous hoses along the way. I just put a brand new opti in today I got 2 bad ones in a row from AutoZone and now I have fire. Pulled a plug had a nice pretty bolt of lightning and pulled the coil and check it same thing. But I'm dumbfounded and it's not crankinf up. It's acting like it wants to but it's just turning over and will blow a puff out of the throttle body. Of course I waited till the last minute to get it going again when I needed it now I'm strumped and starting to panic because i need it going and running out of time lol. Thanks in advance and sorry for the short story.

Last edited by Jwamble05; 06-11-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Re: Finally raising my hand for help lol

At any point have you scanned it for codes? ..... checked the fuel pressure? Are you sure you have indexed the cam dowel pin correctly in the Opti?

Any modifications to the engine?

Different people use the terms "cranking" and "turn over" interchangeably. I'm assuming you are indicating when you turn the key to "start" the starter cranks the engine, but the engine does not start, or even attempt to start, other than sometimes backfire.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Yea sorry starter is spinning the flywheel but not Starting up. It's stock from what I know. Call me stupid but I wasn't aware that it could go in more ways than one. I know it can go in but not line up in the splines but I spun It around untill it went in flush and the bolt holes went up tight against the block.

I had it checked for codes and all it threw was a stupid oxygen sensor.

Last edited by Jwamble05; 06-11-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Add
Old 06-11-2017, 07:42 PM

I havnt checked the fuel pressure yet had the starter go out while trying to crank it. So spent a little bit of time today tearing it out and replacing that but I have done some research on this forum and found some electrical testing ideas for relays and such I'll try tonight once I finish putting in the starter. It's been a hot mess turning into a money pit on me really fast.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jwamble05
Yea sorry starter is spinning the flywheel but not Starting up. It's stock from what I know. Call me stupid but I wasn't aware that it could go in more ways than one. I know it can go in but not line up in the splines but I spun It around untill it went in flush and the bolt holes went up tight against the block.

I had it checked for codes and all it threw was a stupid oxygen sensor.
Splined driveshaft was only used 93/94. 95-97 uses an extended cam dowel pin the drive the Opti.

Courtesy of Shoebox

http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg