General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

F-Bod Trouble Shooters: INSIDE!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:34 PM

F-Bod Trouble Shooters: INSIDE!!

Hey, my T/A does not have heat anymore. The blower is on but the air comes out with barely any heat. I just had a issue with a freeze plug. It rusted out because I had 2 much water in the coolant system. The shop fixed the plug, changed my altinator, charged my A/C. That was about 3 weeks ago. Its starting to get really cold so, I need to get this fixed ASAP. Any Idea whats wrong with my F-bod???
Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 07:45 PM

Re: F-Bod Trouble Shooters: INSIDE!!

It's doing that because you touch yourself at night.

Actually, the first thing I'd check is your heater core to make sure it's not clogged. Disconnect both heater hoses and put a garden hose on one end to make sure water flows out the other side. If it's not that... Is the temp. setting in the a/c control head manually actuated or electronically actuated? I'm not too farmiliar with f-bodies anymore, but I'm guessing they're manually actuated. I've been seeing problems with the temp. actuator in new Chevy trucks, sometimes they crap out and are stuck at whatever setting they were at.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by whitetrashT/A
It's doing that because you touch yourself at night.

Actually, the first thing I'd check is your heater core to make sure it's not clogged. Disconnect both heater hoses and put a garden hose on one end to make sure water flows out the other side. If it's not that... Is the temp. setting in the a/c control head manually actuated or electronically actuated? I'm not too farmiliar with f-bodies anymore, but I'm guessing they're manually actuated. I've been seeing problems with the temp. actuator in new Chevy trucks, sometimes they crap out and are stuck at whatever setting they were at.
The controls are vaccum operated, I think....
Old 11-12-2005, 08:14 PM

Well if it were my car I'd start tearing into the dash and checking what works and doesn't... But that's just me, I don't know if you want to go thru all that hassle.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:33 PM

You didn't mention what year it is, but if it is a 4th gen and someone has drained the coolant and replaced it, you might want to check the two coolant bleed screws to make sure they are purged of air.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:40 PM

Its a 2000. My friend at the shop I work at said we need to take apart the heater box, which is not under the dash. I thought there might be a obvious solution, common to f-bods. I guess I have to wait until monday when I can tear her up and see whats going on
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM

It sounds like what happened to my camaro when the heater core went out. I hope it's not though, because that was a MAJOR pain to replace. Not hard to do, but it's hard to REACH anything!

Good luck!
Em
Old 11-15-2005, 06:27 AM

Disconnect both heater hoses and run a hose throught it both ways to clear the cloged core. I'll bet money your core is cloged. 90% of the time you can unclog it without replacing it.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Disconnect both heater hoses and run a hose throught it both ways to clear the cloged core. I'll bet money your core is cloged. 90% of the time you can unclog it without replacing it.
That's usually the cure for most "no heat" problems. I definitley would not "start tearing into the dash", LOL!
A cable runs from the heat control **** to a mix door in the HVAC housing. All the other positions on the mode control **** are vacuum actuated.