General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Does Oil Lever Effect Oil Pressure (Assuming Oil Pickup Stays Submerged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Does Oil Lever Effect Oil Pressure (Assuming Oil Pickup Stays Submerged)

The oil pump is a mechanically driven pump with a pickup in the bottom of the pan. As long as the oil pickup stays submerged in oil at all time the amount of oil in the pan will not effect oil pressure correct?

A friend and I are having a little argument over it. I say that the oil pressure is not effected by oil lever (overfilling) UNLESS the oil hits the crank shaft and makes air bubbles, then the air bubbles get sucked into the pump making lower pressure..

Anyone support his idea that overfilled oil will cause high oil pressure?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 12:02 PM

As long as the pickup stays submerged in oil, the pump doesn't know where the level is. No effect on pressure.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Thank you. I agree 100%..

If you do a google search on this topic so many answers come up saying that if you fill your oil to much it will create excess oil pressure and casue problems. Seems that there is alot of people who think that - but no one has any logical explination to it. I do agree that to much oil will cause problems, but high oil pressure is not one of the problems. Perhaps because the see it leaking out of the rear main the think its pressure causing it to leak, when the rear main is not under oil pressure.

Im going to use this post to rub it in his face (so please post if you agree) - he always thinks he knows hes right about this stuff - then he picks a fight with a ASE certified tech, I prove him wrong with logics and a explination and he will not accept it because I cant find anythink in google proving my point.

** I am open to considering that some how to much oil will cause high oil pressure, but knowing what I know about motors I dont see how it could, but if someone has an explination im more than willing to listen and ponder it.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 11:53 AM

bump