General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Cruise control component locations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 PM

Cruise control component locations?

My cruise control doesn't work. 3rd brake light works, abs is operative, fuse is not blown, the stalk works the wipers fine, but no cruise control. In 3rd gens, I can locate most of the Cruise control components, but not in a 4th gen. Is it computer controlled and not vacuum controlled, there isn't a wire going to the TB like my GTA.

So can someone give me pics of the locations or at least where to look for things? Im prepping for an 1800 mile drive/move up to washington and I would LOVE cruise to work and let my leg rest.

Thanks guys
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Re: Cruise control component locations?

The cruise control box is on the front subframe, driver's side, right above the point where the sway bar bracket/bushing attaches. A cable runs from there, along the inner edge of the driver's fender, goes near the fire wall, curves around, and comes to the throttle body and attaches to the side of the quadrent. That is the second cable that attaches to the throttle body quadrent.

Shoebox has a photo:

http://shbox.com/1/cruise_module.jpg

If you have traction control, it gets complicated, because the cruise cable goes to the traction control module on the drivers side valve cover.

Since things vary be year, and by options on the car, it would be helpful if you added a "Signature" with basic info about your car..... not an unreasonable request after you've been here for more than 7 years
Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM

Sorry, Im used to TGO with the Sig in the avatar and deleted my 1996 Formula signature when I sold it. But there's my new one below now. My 1994 Trans Am GT auto 3.23

So there is really only 2 cables going to the TB you say?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:11 PM

And the CC box is present. I just checked. It doesn't appear to have been tampered with. Wiring is intact and so is the cable all the way to the TB. What should I check next you think? Do the CC boxes or the turn signal stock go bad?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Administrator

I really don't know much about the cruise control. I deleted mine about 5 years ago. The bracket that holds the throttle cable has two slots in it. The one toward the intake manifold is for the pedal cable, that wraps around the quadrent and has a small cylinder on the end that slips into a slot on the quadrent. The cruise cable is the one away from the manifold, and runs down to a pin on the side of the quadrent.

The 93's probably have a 3rd connection for the TV cable to the non-electronic 4L60.

I don't see any wiring diagram on Shobox's page. The control box gets the VSS signal from pin D8 on the PCM. Same pin supplies the signal to the dash/speedo. Could be the stalk, could be the wiring, could be the box itself. The power supply to the cruise box is from fuse #12 in the under hood box. Same fuse supplies the A/C compressor.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Yeah, and AC is working fine, so it rules out the fuse.

Do you know if the stalk is the same from 93-02? I know 3rd gens switched to a different style mid way through the generation, Im sure that could happen with 4th gens. My bro has a 97 T/A, it could rule out the stalk if they are interchangeable.

If nothing comes up in a week, Ill take it to the dealership and let them poke and prod.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:37 AM

The stalk is not the problem. Here is what ive checked:

-The brake pedal assembly switch is secure in its bracket, a little wobbly, but its not hindered from retracting in with the brake pedal resting on it.
-The stalk was swapped out for a working one
-The AC works great, so the fuse is fine,
-The cable from the CC module is intact from the TB to the module,
-The module itself is plugged in and looks undisturbed.
-The brake lights all light up as well and the ABS inop light isn't flashing so that rules that out.

Any last thoughts before it goes to the dealership?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:15 AM

I have some cruise info and troubleshooting stuff from the factory manual that is not on my site menu (they are not the normal site quality ).

Use this link and substitute 01 through 11 in the URL for different pages.

http://shbox.com/1/cruise_diag01.jpg
Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Well I got the replacement CC module and it still doesn't work. So off to the dealership it goes on Friday.

Things checked:

1) The brake pedal assembly switch
2) The stalk was swapped out for a working one
3) The AC works great, so the fuse is fine,
4) The cable from the CC module is intact from the TB to the module,
5) The module was replaced the brand new GM TSB Replacement part
6) The brake bulbs are all good as well

Its got to be the wiring now. And Im no good at that.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM

Does anyone have the wiring diagram from the CC stalk to the CC module in the fender area? I want to run re-wire from stalk to the module and see if that fixes my CC inop problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gtpguy
Does anyone have the wiring diagram from the CC stalk to the CC module in the fender area? I want to run re-wire from stalk to the module and see if that fixes my CC inop problem.
Did you look at post #8? It's right there in the link.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 AM

Yeah I did. Im not going to lie, thats too technical for me, but i'll give a stab at it and see what I can come up with.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Administrator

It only shows three wires from the stalk to the cruise box, shows you the colors (grey, dark blue and grey black) and tells you which pins in the connecter they are in.

At the cruise box, verify that you have 12V on the pink wire, and 12V on the brown wire. The voltage should drop to 0 on the brown wire when you push the brake pedal.