General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Crazy Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:50 AM

Crazy Clutch Noise

Hello all. So I replaced the clutch fork and slave cylinder on this thing (1996 Z28) a couple of months ago. All seemed to be well. After driving it for a couple of weeks, I started to notice that when I put the clutch pedal to the floor, I was getting a crazy vibration in the clutch pedal, being accompanied by a grinding noise. I did some digging around on the forums and I was convinced it was the fork hitting the pressure plate, as this was a problem many have experienced after replacing the fork and slave cylinder. I quit driving it for a little while because I wanted to fix the issue before I started driving it again. Well one day I decided to take her for a ride, big mistake. After driving for about 30-40 miles, I noticed the spot at which this noise would start, was moving, making the clutch pedal travel shorter. Eventually it got to a point where I couldn't start the car, because the pedal wouldn't go down far enough to hit the switch that allows the car to start without locking up whatever it was hitting. Now, its at the point where the noise and vibration are happening without me touching the clutch pedal at all, and if I try to push in the clutch pedal, I can feel that it's hitting something, and the car actually stalls out. It's as if something has slowly come loose and has hit a critical point. Any ideas? Did I not bleed this thing enough maybe? I'm just not sure what would do this. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Re: Crazy Clutch Noise

Sounds like the throwout bearing may be worn out.