General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

copuple ps questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 04:58 PM

copuple ps questions

Today i took my ss out for an around town drive. I noticed in a parking lot a drip under my car. looked under, there was one drip of ps fluid hanging from a hose coming from the rack. I checked the level of the resivior, which was still full. By the time i got home, 5-10 minutes, (obviously i was light on the pedal/steering) PS fluid was everywhere.

1. i tried to wipe the engine bay and underside of hood w/ soap/water rag. Will the ps fluid tear up my paint? I tried to get most of it off, but there are a lot of nooks and crannies that i could't reach. any ideas how i could get to these, or should i just let it be....its not really noticeable, and i would rather not take the hose tothe engine if possible
2. If it is just a broken hose, does the average parts store stock them, or do i have to order it from gm?

3. If i need to order the pump, do they make a performance power steering pump for our cars? Is it worth putting a new stock one back in? if im going to replace it, i might as well do it right. If it matters any, my car is mostly street/strip, i do not do autocross.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Last edited by hates rice 24; 05-12-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: adding material
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 PM

I think the hose you are refering to is called the power steering pressure line. You can get one at AZ, its not expensive. All you need is a flare nut wrench. If it's the pump you don't need a performance pump, you can get an original or get a reman at AZ. I don't think the fluid will harm your paint. I had ps fluid everywhere under my hood when my pump went bad, I haven't noticed anything afterward, I just left it, but my engine bay is filthy.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:29 PM

Thanks

thanks for the reply....one other question. The pump was full when i left, and i only drove <10 miles before it was empty. After further examination, i believe the hose has a hole in it. the pump was empty when i got home. i would assume the pump is still working being that it pushed all that fluid out that fast. would running it somewhat dry for that short time burn up the pump, or should i be ok? im hoping i could just replace the line and be on my way. Less spent on this can go into the savings fund to install my cam
Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM

I believe a reman pump is only $45 from AZ, the hose is something like $25. I think the pump will be ok, you'll only know when you get a new hose on and fill her up. Good luck.