General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car Wont Even Crank Over?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:53 PM

I took my old starter out and bench tested it. It didnt engage quite right so i assumed it was bad. Bought another starter and put it on the bench, acted exactly the same, make sure you have a good 12volt source to check it out. Requires a bit of amperage. So i really didnt need to replace the starter, the new one works better but the old one wasnt really bad. I would definitely check that anti theft relay or at least give it a quick try by jumpering it. once i found out where it was it only took 5 minutes.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:30 PM

yeah ur absolutely right...my old starter was bad...the post for the anti theft relay wire came out/loose...but i put the new starter in which was confirmed good by a bench test and it didnt solve my problem....i took a jumper button and clipped the wires to the 12V post on the starter and the other to the Anti Theft Relay wire post on the starter and pressed the button and the starter engaged with the flywheel and started my car...further confirming my starter is good now. Then i took a clip and placed it on the post for the anti theft relay on the starter and the other end of the tool lights up (or is supposed to) when touched to a ground...but it didnt light up...so thats pointing me in the direction of the anti theft relay as my problem...i also checked the clutch start switch and pulled the plug on that to test for the light and nothing...so the clutch switch is getting no power, pointing me even further towards the anti theft relay, but where is it and how do i fix it permanantly without jumpering it???
o and thanks for ur help so far shaftlhs...ur dead on so far

Last edited by khojo16; 11-16-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM

The anti theft relay is just to the right of the glovebox. You have to remove the panel under the dash and reach up. very tight squeeze for my big hands but i was able to grab it and pull it down. There are two relays, i believe the other one is for the rear hatch, I am away from home for the next month and cant check my manual. I believe it was the lower relay that is the anti theft. It had 4 wires, Yellow from ignition switch, purple to the starter solenoid, yellow/black (small gauge) from the body control module, and Brown wire from the clutch circuit. for now all i did was jumper the yellow and purple with a fuse in between. Sometime when i get back from this business trip i will do a permanent fix. If it is just the relay, you unplug it and plug in a new one. Since mine just died while it was turning over i am pretty sure it is the relay and not a wiring problem. Hope that helps
Old 11-17-2006, 07:54 PM

well i checked the relay last night and theres no power even getting to the relay...so either a wire burned out on me (unlikely i think), or somewhere between the key cylinder and the TDR there is a problem (i.e. the ignition switch)....but i duno im still lookin for more input from others...u have been a great help so far tho...thanks
Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 PM

I posted a reply on the other thread but yea im having the same issues as well right now. Im having to jump the TDR as well to start the car. havent had time to diagnose anything yet. let me know what you figure out.
You havent had your dash out recently or anything have you? If so you can hook the BCM up wrong because there are 2 plugs that fit the same connector. I did this when putting the dash back in. Absolutely stupod to have 2 connectors fit the same spot. And being close together.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:49 AM

nah when i put my new bcm in about 7 months ago i made sure to plug back the same connectors and the car has been running fine until a few days ago when i originally had this problem..so i know its not that..ill let u know if i figure something out tho...