General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Can an exhaust leak be dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:32 AM

Can an exhaust leak be dangerous?

I kind of got mad when replacing my oil pan gasket (since its cold out now and I was doing this at 11pm) and I disconnected my rusted exhaust with a pneumatic impact and snapped four of the six bolts. (The ones that connect to the exhaust manifold) would it be dangerous to drive with just headers? It wouldn't be for very long, just until I can afford to fix it. Also does anyone know how much it would be to get that fixed at a shop, I don't really want to work on my car because of how cold it's getting.

I'm also thinking of getting aftermarket headers, I found these > https://www.protuninglab.com/hds-cc93lt1.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adw ords&id=140848870378 < but it doesn't come with a Y pipe. Would any aftermarket y pipe work or would firestone figure that out? Should I look at headers that come with a Y pipe instead?

Last edited by ThePedro8161; 11-03-2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Another question
Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Re: Can an exhaust leak be dangerous?

When you ask a question like this, you need to provide into on the exact vehicle you are asking about. A "Signature" is a good way to do this:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/

Please add one.

I'll assume it's the 94 Z28 you have mentioned previously. And since you are asking about "aftermarket headers", I'm going to assume you currently have stock manifolds and Y-pipe, by "just headers" you mean nothing attached to the stock manifolds.

Exhaust is extremely dangerous if it gets in the passenger compartment. The carbon monoxide can kill you. Dumping the exhaust basically under the hood increases the chances of this happening. Additionally, the hot exhaust will be hitting engine components, and can damage them or even set them on fire if the engine is covered with grease and oil.

Then there is the impact on the way the engine runs. With manifolds, you will be missing at least one O2 sensor, and the other will be exposed to the atmosphere. The air/fuel ratio could get really screwed up. Run too rich and you could wash the lubrication off the cylinder walls, dilute the oil with gasoline, and damage the bearings. And at low engine load, there is always a possibility that exhaust reversion could pull in air that burns the exhaust valves.

Not a good idea.

The headers.... the primaries are 1.875" = 1-7/8". Unless you are making 500-600 HP they are not a good match, particularly to a stock or near stock engine. The ports appear to be round, the LT1 heads require D-ports. there are no emissions connections (can you run that way where you live?), they are missing critical specs like the primary tube thickness and the flange thickness. The writeup in some areas sounds like it was translated from a foreign language.... my guess is those are made in China. Might explain the price.

I seriously doubt a Firestone shop would even want to do the work involved in installing headers in a cramped LT1, and they certainly aren't going to be able to fab up a Y-pipe. You can't just use any old Y-pipe. It would need a high quality exhaust shop to build a Y-pipe. Do you require cats? Many shops won't install parts that do not meet all emissions requirements, because they can be fined for doing so.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Re: Can an exhaust leak be dangerous?

Yeah, like you said, firestone doesn't install customer supplied parts. I just sent back a wrong part, so by the time that gets here I'll have the exhaust fixed. Thanks for the info