General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

95 Z28 oil leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:07 AM

95 Z28 oil leaking

Hello all I’m new to the fourms and I just copped a 95 z28. I’ve owned one in the past but this one my new one is just under 95k. So here’s my problem. Whoever had the car before had some work put into the engine, the valve covers I have are aftermarket chrome with the red Chevy Bow tie. SO here’s the deal prior to actually buying the car I checked it out top and bottom didn’t notice any leaking. Now the valve covers on it the driver side is the only side where the cap would come off if I wanted to put oil in it, isn’t it suppose to be the passenger? Anyways I ended up putting a quart of 5w20 in it by mistake. I’m thinking of just doing a oil change and changing the air filter. Car runs nearly perfect it’s just leaking oil now.*right after I added the extra quart it did smoke a bit under the hood but the next day no smoke. HELP AND ADVISE NEEDED
Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Re: 95 Z28 oil leaking

5w20 won’t hurt it. It’s a little thin at low temps, before the engine warms up. What’s your location? If you’re in the south, it won’t affect you at all.

The smoke was probably from a couple stray drops of oil that got onto the exhaust, or similar. If it stopped, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I am not sure which side is normally the oil fill side on the LT1, but there should be no ill effects from filling on either side; both heads have oil drainback passageways.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:28 AM

Re: 95 Z28 oil leaking

How much oil are we talking? I get a few drops after it's been sitting. I try to use a funnel every time so it won't make a mess or get on the exhaust which makes it smoke. Didn't really hear any exact questions, but nothing you said sounds like anything serious. My oil fill cap is on the passenger side, so that sounds weird they have it reversed. I would fix that, but that's only my opinion. I recommend the fuel filter be changed unless you know it's newer.