Calling all auto electric experts - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Injuneer

Old 12-06-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Calling all auto electric experts

Went to the drugstore this morning, everything working normally. Came back out, got in car and it started as normal. Turned the radio on, and it didn't work. What's going on here? I started checking other things and found that the power windows and door locks also didn't work. Neither did the outside mirrors. I set there three or four minutes and things started working as usual. I then went to the grocery and things worked fine. Came back out and things were still working. However, on the way home things stopped working. Set in the driveway for a couple of minutes and thing began working again. Checked fuse #4 and it was OK. What could be causing the intermittent? Car is a '96 Formula with a JVC radio that's been in use for at least 5 years.
moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #2

Re: Calling all auto electric experts

Although Iím not an expert Iíll chime in since I have been troubleshooting the electrical system on a 96 z28 for the last several weeks.

I would start with the Body Control Module. Itís a pretty common problem for our cars to have bad solder joints in the BCM. The most common symptoms are loss of radio power and power windows intermittently. There are plenty of threads and even some video of removal and repair if you arenít afraid to solder. Otherwise you can get a new one for 2-300$. Itís located behind the glove box under the dash.

A real expert should be along shortly lol
Doaburnout96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doaburnout96 View Post
Although Iím not an expert Iíll chime in since I have been troubleshooting the electrical system on a 96 z28 for the last several weeks.

I would start with the Body Control Module. Itís a pretty common problem for our cars to have bad solder joints in the BCM. The most common symptoms are loss of radio power and power windows intermittently. There are plenty of threads and even some video of removal and repair if you arenít afraid to solder. Otherwise you can get a new one for 2-300$. Itís located behind the glove box under the dash.

A real expert should be along shortly lol
Thanks, I'd forgotten all about the BCM.
moparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
Super Moderator

In 1996 they incorporated the "retained accessory power" (RAP) module into the then-new BCM. The RAP function supplies power to the radio, door locks, and the power windows. I think Member "GaryDoug" has figured out the location of the problem in the BCM, and has suggestions on how to repair the circuit board.
moparman and 94Z28LS1toLT1 like this.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote