General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Build Progress Pics--1994 PPM Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:06 AM

Build Progress Pics--1994 PPM Z28

Hey everyone! I'm a long time lurker and decided to share my build. I spent a lot of time researching, and here's what I've come up with. My budget is about $2500 overall. We dropped the cradle, and all work will be performed by me with some help from a friend who is allowing me to use his lift. Engine is currently stock with 113k on the clock. 1994 PPM Z28 M6.

Here's the parts list (I'm still looking to buy anything that doesn't say 'Purchased'). Let me know what you think:

Comp Cams 1418-16 1.6 RR
Howard's Cams 98215 valve springs (purchased)
Heads milled, valves resealed, 3-angle valve job
LT4 Hot Cam
Sealed power complete gasket kit
Cloyes timing chain 9-131
Energy suspension poly motor mounts
Speed engineering LT headers
Pacesetter y-pipe
Catalytic converter (to pass visual)
Hooker Super Comp cat-back
1le intake elbow
K&N intake (already purchased)
MGW shifter (already purchased)
AC delete
ARP head bolts
Koni shocks (F&R, already purchased)
Umi adjustable panhard and LCA (purchased)
LCA relocation brackets
Throttle body air foil (purchased)
Stainless brake lines (purchased)
Spindles and calipers from 98-02 (purchased)

My goal is a strong performer on the street with an emphasis on reliability. The hot cam is right in the sweet spot for my application, and I'm mostly convinced that I don't want to step up to 7/16" studs for the RR. If I ever decide to go with a bigger cam, it will be when I have significantly more funds with which I can work.

I have seen some fitment issues on the Speed Engineering headers--has anyone not had to take a hammer to them?

This is my very first engine build. I've received so much knowledge from all of the f-body community, I'm hopeful that I can give a little something back! I'm really excited to start reassembly in the next few weeks!

Pictures of the progress so far:

Name:  822F88EE-047C-4560-BAEA-C07363F380AF_zpsfva0gqmu.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  221.4 KB
Name:  1713B044-7DAF-4B58-AB69-EAB5FA60F357_zpsrriub1of.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  276.0 KB
Name:  7108F42D-EB98-43BB-A4CF-AE6C2768D396_zps7lmume5s.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  246.9 KB

Last edited by CaptArbitrage; 05-31-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:46 AM

Re: Build Progress Pics--1994 PPM Z28

Ah,a friend with a lift.What I wouldn't give.I would change the egr valve while the engine is out of the car because it's no fun changing it.Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Some questions on your parts list:

- why not full roller rockers, rather than just roller tips? Budget limits?

- one of the "reviews" on the Summit site for those valve springs indicates "These springs seem to be good but did not fit my LT1 without modification of the heads". Have you checked this out?

- the timing chain appears to be the double roller one for the Gen 1 SBC. Are you sure it fits the the Gen 2 LT1. Stock chain LT1 chain is non-roller.

- I'm not familiar with the Speed Engineering LT's, but did you verify they work with the Pacesetter Y-pipe?

- Exactly how strict are they where you live regarding the "visual" on the cat? The 94 single cat has to be relocated (moved further away from the engine) with LT's, and that is a violation of Federal emissions law. Does your locale enforce the Fed requirements (CA does, for example)? Do they require a CARB-EO emissions tag on the headers, because LT's cannot meet the CARB requirements?

Do you have a copy of this helpful book:

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-31-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Some questions on your parts list:

- why not full roller rockers, rather than just roller tips? Budget limits?

- one of the "reviews" on the Summit site for those valve springs indicates "These springs seem to be good but did not fit my LT1 without modification of the heads". Have you checked this out?

- the timing chain appears to be the double roller one for the Gen 1 SBC. Are you sure it fits the the Gen 2 LT1. Stock chain LT1 chain is non-roller.

- I'm not familiar with the Speed Engineering LT's, but did you verify they work with the Pacesetter Y-pipe?

- Exactly how strict are they where you live regarding the "visual" on the cat? The 94 single cat has to be relocated (moved further away from the engine) with LT's, and that is a violation of Federal emissions law. Does your locale enforce the Fed requirements (CA does, for example)? Do they require a CARB-EO emissions tag on the headers, because LT's cannot meet the CARB requirements?

Do you have a copy of this helpful book:

Amazon Amazon
I chose roller tips due to budget constraints and the fact that I am not going to be revving the engine past about 6200 rpm. I've been looking for a good used set of full SA rollers for a while, but have a tough time finding them.

I read a lot about the springs and the consensus is that they are drop-in springs that use stock hardware. I know that the dampener needs to be removed (maybe that's the issue that reviewer faced), and my shop is aware of that. Lloyd Elliot has recommended these springs in several posts that I've seen. I haven't found a single negative forum review of them.

Thank you for catching the issue with the chain. Summit brought it up when I filtered by my engine, so I'll have to go back and take a look for the correct chain.

Speed Engineering, from what I could gather from the threads they posted in, recommended the PaceSetter Y-pipe to use with their headers. I had considered going with MAC mids, but I don't want to use the other emissions equipment and they are $120 more than the Speed Engineering LTs and PS Y-pipe. I could block off the fittings, but I am drawn to how the stainless steel SE LTs look and they're cheaper.

I am aware of the stock location restriction, but have received some guidance from someone versed in the matter that installing LTs with a cat in a non-stock location will pass visual. I'm not sure if this is universally the case all over the state, but I do know that NY is less strict than CA about emissions. As far as I am aware, there is no CARB requirement for emissions equipment in NY for pre-1996 vehicles.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:22 AM

Looking good! Let me know when you want to come over and pick up those brake hoses