General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Big bang problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:19 PM

Big bang problem...

I am only titling this thread that wat because thats what I have.

Last night I went to the track. First pass started well, I got into second and tried to go into third. I missed the shift, so I clutched it and got it the second time. When I let out the clutch and pressed the gas, I heard a HUGE boom. It felt like someone had a chain rapped around my rear-end and just jerked on it when I came out if third. I immidiately pulled it into nuetral and coasted the rest of the way down the track.

I ran a second time thinking it was something I did, and it happend the exact same way again.

Rear-end, clutch, goblins? Help. I need a new clutch, the stocker is shot. I have a Spec III ready to go in. Would a bad stock clutch do that?

I am clueless. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:11 PM

Re: Big bang problem...

Transmission mount I bet.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:14 PM

That could be I guess. Any idea why it does it did it i third gear only? I just took the car out to check drivability today, and it shifted fine. I ran it to the shift light (6100) through 4 gears and it was smooth as a baby's butt. I still need a new clutch but, I'm cluless.

I will go check the tranny mount right now.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheBiz
That could be I guess. Any idea why it does it did it i third gear only? I just took the car out to check drivability today, and it shifted fine. I ran it to the shift light (6100) through 4 gears and it was smooth as a baby's butt. I still need a new clutch but, I'm cluless.

I will go check the tranny mount right now.

Thanks.
I didnt realize it was consistantly 3rd gear only. If it is absolutely limited to 3rd gear it would almost have to be the transmission.

The driveline loads up in all gears, and the problem only happening in third gear would seem to point to the transmission.

If it happenned in all gears, I'd be more suspect of different problems like the trans mount / rearend / clutch.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:43 PM

Well, new clutch goes in this weekend if all goes well. I will be able to tell something then.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 PM

i get this really bad bang/rap through my whole driveline , center consol to the rear. this is when im at WOT or close to it when my a4 shifts

it will bang when the car shifts , and do it really bad when im spinning my tires

that would be my tranny mount??

btw my mount was ripped a little last year and i never got around to changing it and with the additionof new tires this year and driving my car a little harder than usual could have contibuted to the mount going bad , i did look under the car and it doesnt look to good lol
Old 03-31-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroSS30thAnn
i get this really bad bang/rap through my whole driveline , center consol to the rear. this is when im at WOT or close to it when my a4 shifts

it will bang when the car shifts , and do it really bad when im spinning my tires

that would be my tranny mount??

btw my mount was ripped a little last year and i never got around to changing it and with the additionof new tires this year and driving my car a little harder than usual could have contibuted to the mount going bad , i did look under the car and it doesnt look to good lol
tranny mount
15 minute $15 job

*edit*
dont spin your tires anymore or go WOT, because well, that banging you hear, is your tranny smacking the floor of your car
Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
tranny mount
15 minute $15 job

*edit*
dont spin your tires anymore or go WOT, because well, that banging you hear, is your tranny smacking the floor of your car
yeah i realized that , so ive babied it the last two day slol
Old 03-31-2005, 11:23 AM

Broke many a tranny mount on my '95 and my '98... sounds like that's definitely your problem.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:38 PM

yep that was my problem

i changed to a poly mount , i do not know y everybody bit(hes about teh vibration , mine barely has any and after driving it for a while u dont even notice it , i even took it up to about a hundred and nothing

when i took it off the rubber tore right away from the mount, who like torque?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:17 PM

The vib is a lot more noticable with a M6/Aftermarket shifter.. trust me... but even still it's not that bad, and once the poly loosens up you don't even notice it.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 PM

haha yeah but a cammed motor , with polly motor mounts and tranny mount , haha forget it i hear its bad lol