General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

ANOTHER fuel guage problem - wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:39 PM

Exclamation ANOTHER fuel guage problem - wiring?

Ok, i have a 1981 camaro, replaced engine, trans, etc (details not important I guess), when I bought the car, noticed that the fuel guage was just sitting on about 1/4 tank, would not move when I put gas in, nor when it ran outta gas (happened many times), didn't move at all when I turned off the car either. changed the instrument cluster to a different one (from the same exact type/year/etc. camaro that I have), still same thing, except it is now just shy of 1/2 tank (where the guage was when I pulled the cluster from the other car). SO, seems as if I am not getting any power to the guage (or sending unit). I checked my trusty repair manual for the wiring colors, etc. and found there should be a total of 3 wires, one is black (ground), one is tan, and one is pink/black line. Now... strange thing, there is a wire just dangling under my dash, if I hook that wire up, my dash comes alive (even the seat belt warning light turns on and buzzes), noticed that the gas guage moves as well (way way past full, even with almost empty tank). Went to the back of the car, tried to find the actual wires... black one no problem to find at all, hooked up to the frame (or soemthign under there), found a tan wire that goes to the top of the tank, well, my question is - the tan wire has a plug in, and for some reason there is a red (looks like red) wire plugged into it... the fitting doesn't appear to be the same either. When i check that wire for voltage, I get voltage. I thought maybe there is another place for that red wire to plug into, and possible to switch the wires for the correct one, nope.. couldn't find anything.

Is it possible for someone who has a 78-81 camaro to check their wiring out for me and help me get this wired up correctly... if it isn't too much to ask, maybe they can take pictures of where the wires are, what everything looks like, etc.

THanks so much in advance!

Andy
Old 09-19-2005, 12:31 PM

Re: ANOTHER fuel guage problem - wiring?

Hmm. anyone have any ideas?