General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

99 camaro steering column wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 PM

99 camaro steering column wiring

hello im new to this so dont knw much about writing up a form/tread so please for give me and ill try to give as much info as i can...

1st off im building a ratrod.....and i got a 1999 camaro steering column w/ tilt the other day...
it has both main harnesses thats connected to the column ...blinkers, wippers,flashers and so on...even got the key with it...yay i know everythiong needs to go through the fuse boxs, but here is where i need yalls help...
i need the wiring diagram/layout of the wires coming from the column so i know what wire is what....
also gonna be using a old starter solenoid and electronic distributor one plug alternator if any this might help some to help with where they might go...
list of the wires
harness #1
2whites same pin
green
gray
purple
pink
gray w/black line
blue
gray
2pinks same pin

harness #2
green
white
purple
brown
2blue w/white line same pin
2 lightblue w/white line same pin
2 blacks same pin
light green
black

thank you hope this ok

Last edited by Thadarkone; 01-30-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Re: 99 camaro steering column wiring

All that info is in the 1999 factory service manual. Free download here:

LINK: 4TH GEN SERVICE MANUALS; 82-02 PARTS DIAG; 99-02 WIRING DIAG - Fourth Generation F-Body (1993 - 2002) - Firebird Nation
Old 02-01-2017, 07:26 AM

thank you so much for your reply but honestly i dont understand the factory wiring diagram...
so if you dont mind to help out alil more and let me know that wire is what on the column i would be very greatful i have the column wires listed above....
thank you very much.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Administrator

I don't think your request is reasonable - that is a huge amount of work. I can tell you that at the base of the steering column there are three connectors related to starting and charging, two of which are related to the starting and charging. These are shown in a drawing on page 6-678 of the manual. This does not require a knowledge of reading electrical schematics.

The harness connector pinouts (pin location, pin number and wire color) for the ignition switch and the park/neutral switch are shown on page 6-682 of the manual. This does not show the dimmer switch. (Will you even be using the dimmer stalk?). That is in another part of the manual(lighting). This does not require a knowledge of reading electrical schematics.

There would also be a connector for the PASS-key security system, the turn signals, the air bags, steering wheel audio controls, and the cruise control. Do you plan on using any of these systems, and controlling them from the steering column? If so, you need to find the harness layout drawings in the manual, and the harness connector pinout diagrams.

Sorry, but that is the best I can do. Maybe someone else has the time to sort this out for you. And in truth, if you can't read electrical schematics, I don't see how you can ever wire the column into your vehicle. Best approach might be to approach Painless Wiring to see if they can make you a conversion harness.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 PM

all im wanting to use is the
1) ignition switch
2) dimmer
3) turn signals
4) wipers
not using a ECU since its goin into a 1947 ratrod and no need to by pass the security system and the column isnt setup with radio functions so not using that...
column only has the two big harnesses like in the this link if u can get to it...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2002-CH...mtr&rmvSB=true

Last edited by Thadarkone; 02-03-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Administrator

If I can scrape up some free time, I'll see what I can do. The two long connectors don't relate to the ignition switch. The ignition switch is inside the bracket, and the copper blade lugs you see through the holes in the bracket require two harness connectors. These are available from GM in the form of "pigtails", the connector and short lengths of wire. Shoebox has the info you need on those (scroll down for part #’s:

4th Gen F-body Ignition Switch Replacement

http://shbox.com/ignsw/switch1.jpg

The white switch on top of the column with the rod connected is the dimmer switch. Again, pigtail connector required.

So what you need is pinouts diagrams:

- the face diagrams of the two ignition connectors with wire color and function

- face diagram of the dimmer switch w/ wire designations as above

- face diagram f the two long black connectors with wire designations for turn signal and wiper functions.

Basically I will have to find each of these in the manual, do a screen shot from the .pdf . You could start at the bottom of the list, me from the top. I agree it's not easy to find these in a multi-thousand page document, but sometimes you have to do it.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If I can scrape up some free time, I'll see what I can do. The two long connectors don't relate to the ignition switch. The ignition switch is inside the bracket, and the copper blade lugs you see through the holes in the bracket require two harness connectors. These are available from GM in the form of "pigtails", the connector and short lengths of wire. Shoebox has the info you need on those (scroll down for part #’s:

The white switch on top of the column with the rod connected is the dimmer switch. Again, pigtail connector required.

- face diagram f the two long black connectors with wire designations for turn signal and wiper functions.

Basically I will have to find each of these in the manual, do a screen shot from the .pdf . You could start at the bottom of the list, me from the top. I agree it's not easy to find these in a multi-thousand page document, but sometimes you have to do it.
Can you send me some of that free time?My work is short handed and I've been working 5 days a week for 2 weeks now.What retirement?Ha.I've been trying for 2 months to set some time and space available to drop the rear wheel panel on the drivers side to get a looksee at the evap setup back there,(canister and such)but no time to do it.Bla Bla Bla.My02.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

how does this look can you shine some light on it ? if this is right all i need now is the ,,,,wipers and dimmer....
Name:  turnwire_zpse0aa8931.jpg
Views: 28589
Size:  47.8 KB