General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop

Old 10-18-2017, 09:11 PM

Re: 96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop

Thanks Fred - I'll look into that software.

Appreciate the info. I have the optispark out, new IAC installed and am waiting on the new optispark. I'll post some pics of the internal of the accel that I just took off.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:26 PM

Ok so this is the Accel - 2 years of use 12,000 miles. The top seal had completely corroded away and was allowing crap in. Not a lot but enough. The contact posts & rotor look to have quite a bit of arc corrosion on them for only 12k miles. There was some kind of liquid inside the unit - not coolant - it looked like small mist bubbles here and there. Not a lot but enough to be a problem I'm sure. Not sure if you can see it in the pics. Alas it was working fine before the rebuild - but who knows now. Besides I needed the practice. It's been a couple years
Attached Thumbnails 96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171018_140554.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171018_144534.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171018_144922.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171018_145020.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171018_145034.jpg  

96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171018_145042.jpg  
Old 10-19-2017, 05:04 PM

Minor setback. Removed the fuel rail today to install the new fuel pressure regulator and one of the small orange rings on the fuel injector (just above the o-ring) snapped off and went flying into pieces. Of course no one stocks those so a full set is now on order along with new o-rings for top and bottom.

I was able to check for leaks by priming the fuel line - none were leaking. That's good.

That puts me out until next Thursday. I'll get everything back together by then and be ready to turn the key.

If anyone has any comments about the optispark (pics posted) - please feel free to share them. How bad does it really look?
(Still waiting for the new one to be delivered.)

Thanks all!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Did you have any sort of corrosion or accumulated material on the shutter wheel or the optical module? My 94 collected a lot of rust there in about 50K miles, causing roughness and a very short complete shutoff/stumble occasionally. But mine was unvented, and the rust was common, without the vent to remove the ozone.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:02 PM

Here are some pics of the rest of the parts of the opti. Have never seen that yellow goopy crap in any of my old ones before.
Attached Thumbnails 96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195053.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195101.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195110.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195116.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195358.jpg  

96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195404.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195410.jpg   96 Trans Am Stumbles & Dies in drive at a full stop-20171019_195442.jpg  
Old 10-19-2017, 11:15 PM

As you can see from the pics - the 300.00 Accel Opti does not have a mitsubishi sensor. I just opened the brand new Summit Racing brand - and it does not have the mitsubishi either. It at least has a straight flat disc and brass posts.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:50 PM

Ok got it all back together with new fuel injector seals, FPR, Summit Optispark, IAC, MAF, and ignition coil. P0336 code - crap. (I know that spells a possible bad optispark - wonderful...) - Also - fuel leaking from the back of the fuel rail by the new FPR - will take that back off shortly to see what happened there....

More this evening (I hope).
Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

The distributor shouldn't have anything to do with the P0336 code unless the engine is running wildly erratic. Check the crank position sensor on the lower part of the timing cover to see if you may have dislodged or damaged the wire or connector for the sensor. Other than the wiring, sensor, or the sensor timing ring on the crankshaft inside the cover, the only other thing to cause that code would be a change of the pcm.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Thanks Gary - I'll just replace it and see what happens. It's the factory unit from 96.

However it looks like all of this other work was in vain. Car still runs like crap - cuts out when accelerating. I know it's not going to idle under load with the ZZ9 cam until I get a tune on it. But I have got to figure out why it is now cutting out while accelerating.

The P0336 code is new - never had that before replacing the items listed in my previous post. Could have got coolant on it. I'll clean up the connector and replace the unit. The timing cover was not removed - so nothing inside should be an issue. (All brand new from the rebuild a couple months ago.)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM

However I'm reading in the forums that the low resolution from the optispark will cause this error (p0336).

New AC Delco ICM and CPS on the way.

Last edited by sncboom2k; 10-25-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:23 AM
Administrator

I'm going to ramble a bit here.....

Let me check the factory manual on the CKP code. I think that the PCM has to use the high res data from the Opti to know the RPM, so that it knows exactly when one of the 4 teeth on the crank reluctor is supposed to appear. CHECKED THE MANUAL, FOR P0336, AND THIS IS CORRECT. The PCM is comparing the known pattern of crank velocity change on an engine without misfires to the info coming from the crank sensor. These velocity changes are extremely tiny. The crank throw slows slightly on the compression stroke, and accelerates slightly on the power stroke. I think the PCM has to have higher resolution data from the cam sensor to measure these tiny changes.

On top of that, the cam sensor has its own set of irregularities with regard to rotational velocity (camshaft twist) and relative to crank velocity (timing chain irregularities).

I think the "out of range" info applies to duty cycle of the crank sensor. I THINK it may be comparing the cam and crank data to determine if there is a duty cycle error. NO, NOT A DUTY CYCLE ERROR - IT IS COUNTING HIGH RES PULSES (1 DEGREE EACH) AND MAKING SURE THE ANGLE REPRESENTED BY THE TEETH AND NO-TEETH ON THE CRANK SENSOR IS THE SAME AS THE NUMBER OF DEGREES COUNTED ON THE CAM SENSOR. WHEN THE DEVIATION BETWEEN THE CRANK ANGLE AND THE CAM ANGLE IS OUTSIDE THE RANGE OF -10-DEG TO +7-DEG, P0336 SETS

The more aggressive cam screws up the smoothness of the engine rotation, particularlyat low RPM. That can cause erroneous misfire indication, as can driving on a rough road.

Causes listedonline for P0336 include:

- loose reluctor gear
- damage to reluctor gear
- wiring issues, as Gary mentioned
- misfires
- faulty CKP sensor
- faulty cam sensor
- EXCESSIVE TIMING CHAIN WEAR
- SENSOR CONTACTING RELUCTOR
- EXCESSIVE DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE BACKLASH

All that said, I don’t think it would likely be an Opti problem, with two different Opti's.

Since P0336 does not affect how the engine runs, get the engine tuned correctly and see what happens. It may be that the cam is rendering the misfire detection useless, and the crank sensor will need to be tuned out.

Last edited by Injuneer; 10-26-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Corrected per factory service manual
Old 10-26-2017, 01:09 AM

Thank you Fred - I value everyone's advice. I'm pulling my hair out over here.

Still wondering why in the last 2 weeks the engine started cutting out on acceleration? It did not do this before and I put the old girl through some grueling runs out by our airport after the rebuild. It started happening the same time I set the idle back to 650 and tested the Accel opti for signals. I'd like to get the cutting out issue resolved before taking it in for the tune. Wondering if I should replace the TPS? I think I have a spare around here. I notice it happens when I accelerate quickly. When I accelerate slowly - it does not happen. More pedal - cuts out. Less pedal - it's fine.

On a side note - the fuel leak was caused by a "design" difference from the AC Delco version of the FPR. I bought the Delphi. The green o-ring was not wedged in between a brass fitting like the AC Delco and did not pack the gear to seal the connection at the fuel line. A trip to the auto parts store produced another o-ring, slightly bigger which fit much better with a little effort. No more leak. So for those contemplating the Delphi - know this could be an issue for you as well.

I'll test fuel pressure tomorrow to see if it went up at all. I was at 36psi while idling with the original FPR. Hoping for 40-41psi with the new Delphi.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 AM

Fred is the Cam sensor the optical bit inside the opti?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Yes, that is the purpose of the optical module and the wheel with the slots.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Have you tested the TPS with a volt meter?

And you are sure the rubber bellows does not have a tear, nd is fully over the bottom of the throttle body? I know you've indicated it’s OK.

Is the MAF sensor facing in the right direction?

Search this Thread