General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

95 Z28 Low Oil light and ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 AM

95 Z28 Low Oil light and ABS light

Does anybody know what would cause my low oil light to come on and go back off every now and then? I've checked the oil several times and it is never low and the oil pressure is normal for a high milege LT1. It does have an oil leak though, I'm thinking it could possibly be the oil cending unit?!?

Also my ABS light is on all the time, does anybody know what would cause this to happen or how to turn it off? I've had it happen in 3 out of the 4 LT1 Camaro's I've owned but never knew what caused it to come on.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Re: 95 Z28 Low Oil light and ABS light

The "low oil" light has nothing to do with the oil pressure or the oil pressure sensor. It's related directly to the float switch that sticks into the side of the oil pan. Could be a faulty level switch, could be a loose wire, poor ground.

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/low_oil_sensor.jpg

I assume you mean the "ABS INOP" light. Usually due to a faulty wheel speed sensor, dirty sensor, corroded or loose connector. Could also be a problem with the 3rd brake light. The EBCM that controls the ABS sets codes, that can be read with an ABS scanner.

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-26-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the info man! I think the oil leak is coming from that oil float censor so that could have something to do with it. I just haven't gotten under there yet to check it out.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 AM

Idk why I was thinking oil cending unit, I forgot that it's the one that reads the oil pressure lol I meant the oil float sensor.

And the ABS INOP is the one, I hope I can just get away with cleaning them but it probably won't turn off until I have it reset I rekon. I hate that the car isn't OBD2.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Administrator

It will clear if you fix the problem. OBD-II is applicable to the engine codes. The EBCM is not part of the main computer.

You have 3 or 4 wheel speed sensors. Does your car have (optional) traction control (ASR) in addition to ABS? If it does, you will have a button on the console to turn ASR off, a large, ugly black and silver servo box sitting on the top of the driver side valve cover and RPO code "NW9" on the service parts label.

All versions have a front wheel speed sensor in the hub/bearing/spindle cartridge for each wheel. The sensor is not serviceable or replaceable. The entire cartridge needs to be replaced. ABS only cars have a single sensor on the top of the diff housing. That can be removed and cleaned. ABS + ASR cars have a wheel speed sensor on the end of each rear axle. That sensor is part of the backing plate.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 PM

It doesnt have the optional traction control so hopefully I should just be able to clean them.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Of the 3 ABS repairs I have done recently, 2 were for broken wires in the cable from the wheel to the body. The 3rd was an outright defective sensor itself. None were just dirty. You can check the sensor and cable with an ohmmeter connected to the connector pins at the body side of the cable. Unplug the connector and measure the resistance between the two pins. Compare them with the others on the car. On GM cars, you should normally have a low resistance value, or an open circuit or very high value when defective.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 AM

Alright I will for sure give that a try, thank you!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 AM

Alright so today I was sitting in the drive thru at taco bell and my oil pressure dipped down to zero and my check gauges light came on for a brief second. It usually sits at 20lbs at idle but this time it just went straight down to close to zero but when I rev it up it goes back up to normal. The guy that owned it before me said he replaced the oil pump and rod/main bearings so idk what it could be, I think it may have a faulty oil pressure sensor as well cause it should be putting out alot more than 20lbs of oil pressure with a new oil pump and bearings.

Any info would be great because now I'm scared about blowing it up or getting a knock. The guy before me did say something about the crank not measuring out to the correct size for a stock LT1 crank but I can't be sure about that.