General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

4th gen Lt1 93-97 how much will it be worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Re: 4th gen Lt1 93-97 how much will it be worth?

Actually, my question would be:

How do I keep my Z from turing into a pile of rust???

As of 1 month ago, the Z is retired from daily driving. I want to spend the next couple of years fixing & restoring it. After that I'd like to use it as a weekend cruiser. With that little usage, how do I keep it from rotting away?

Any storage suggestions?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by wogert
Actually, my question would be:

How do I keep my Z from turing into a pile of rust???

As of 1 month ago, the Z is retired from daily driving. I want to spend the next couple of years fixing & restoring it. After that I'd like to use it as a weekend cruiser. With that little usage, how do I keep it from rotting away?

Any storage suggestions?
If it has been driven regularily on winter roads covered in salt it is already too late. The salt gets into everything and deteriorates it. It is only a matter of time before it begins hitting it hard. You will end up having to have it completely restored at some point, with a lot of expensive metal work on the chasis.

If you want a 4th gen to keep for the long haul I would recommend finding a 100% rust free car from a dry state like Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, etc..
I got mine in Texas, and it is perfectly rust free. I can keep it for decades and not have to worry about corrosion issues. Nice 4th gens are pretty cheap nowadays, if you want one to keep and yours is salty, I'd sell it and go buy a clean one. It will be much cheaper to trade up now than to try and fix a rustbucket in 10 years.

I store mine indoors over winters by puting visqueen down on the ground, parking ontop of it, removing the battery, puting on a car cover and then I pull up the edges of the visqueen and use duct tape to wrap it around the top. I leave enough of the fabric cover exposed on top to allow it to breathe a bit. The visqueen prevents moisture from the concrete from getting into the car. It comes out perfect every spring. No problems ever.

My car is a weekend driver. I drive it maybe 3 times a week and put very few miles on it. As long as it gets a couple thousand miles a year on it there will not be any problems with it mechanically rotting away. I can see my car lasting forever, literally. I'm sure my 5 year old son will love learning to drive it in 10 more years when he gets his learners permit.

Last edited by TraceZ; 10-05-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 PM

No, mine was parked every winter....(as every F-body SHOULD be!!) :LOL:

And I'm proud to say that there is practically no rust on it, or under it.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 PM

So this thread started in 2005 and its now 2017. Did the value of the clean 4th gen lt1 cars go up??

Im looking to sell a super clean, absolutely rust free 1994 z28 auto if anyones interested. Pretty low 81000 miles. Id say eveything is 9/10 or better and 100% original (i have original radio too)

Bright red paint with T-tops
Two tone flame red interier ( original and excellent )
Lt1 5.7 and auto trans (stock)
3.23 car
A/c ( works like everything else)
American racing wheels and bfg's (i have originals)
No sign of rust on body, frame, floor, or fuel lines for that matter. Have to say 100% rust free. Very nice always out of the elements .

Any idea what its worth? Just trying to get a starting asking price... Id like to post picks but am having trouble.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by youngson616
so this thread started in 2005 and its now 2017. Did the value of the clean 4th gen lt1 cars go up??

Im looking to sell a super clean, absolutely rust free 1994 z28 auto if anyones interested. Pretty low 81000 miles. Id say eveything is 9/10 or better and 100% original (i have original radio too)

bright red paint with t-tops
two tone flame red interier ( original and excellent )
lt1 5.7 and auto trans (stock)
3.23 car
a/c ( works like everything else)
american racing wheels and bfg's (i have originals)
no sign of rust on body, frame, floor, or fuel lines for that matter. Have to say 100% rust free. Very nice always out of the elements .

Any idea what its worth? Just trying to get a starting asking price... Id like to post picks but am having trouble.

iii
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen Lt1 93-97 how much will it be worth?-20170122_163322.jpg   4th gen Lt1 93-97 how much will it be worth?-20170122_142305.jpg  
Old 02-04-2017, 10:03 PM

I would go autotrader.com and do a nationwide search for the same car with similar miles and condition to kinda get an idea of what they are selling for.Your car looks real nice and it's not heavily modified so that's good.On a side note,when I go to the wrecking yards for parts,most of the 1993-2002 Camaro and Firebirds are stripped cleaned for almost all usable parts even after the wrecking yard just posted the cars available on the web.Meaning that the f-body may still have some life in the future.Hope this helps.What state is the car in.Southern California is a great place to sell the car.My02.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
I would go autotrader.com and do a nationwide search for the same car with similar miles and condition to kinda get an idea of what they are selling for.Your car looks real nice and it's not heavily modified so that's good.On a side note,when I go to the wrecking yards for parts,most of the 1993-2002 Camaro and Firebirds are stripped cleaned for almost all usable parts even after the wrecking yard just posted the cars available on the web.Meaning that the f-body may still have some life in the future.Hope this helps.What state is the car in.Southern California is a great place to sell the car.My02.
I did autotrader and ebay and seen similar mileage/option cars 6k-8k average which seems pretty high in my opinion, which isnt a bad thing lol.

As far as modifications everything is stock besides wheels and radio and I have both. I assume its worth more completely original? Its a Michigan car believe it or not. Local chevy dealer was shocked as well as myself in underbody condition, brake lines and fuel lines are pristine. It checked out 0 problems. Must have been well kept all its life.

I was thinking of doing a le2, stall , bolt ons etc but the car is too clean to do that at this point in time IMO. Someone else can appreciate the original more than I would Thanks for your input, ill post more pic's and you will see it up for sale soon most likely