General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1994 V6 Camaro over heats if I go over 75MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM

1994 V6 Camaro over heats if I go over 75MPH

As long as I stay under 75 MPH I am okay. If I go over 75 for more than 25 seconds it starts to go into the red for the temperature. Backing off and slowing to 70 will drop the temperature back down after 45 seconds.

Driving around anywhere else but the highway it will not overheat at all. It has had this issue for a while.

How do I fix this?

my car is a 1994 camaro with a V6

I read this simular post on this forum ad:https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=378615 but the owner never posted his solution.

Last edited by belcherman; 07-20-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

First thing I'd do is check coolant level/condition and make sure there are no blockages in front of the radiator.

If those are fine, then you either have a coolant flow issue or a faulty temperature sensor. If it's a flow issue, it could be the thermostat, water pump, or a clog anywhere in the lines/passages.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 AM

The most obvious thing to check is if the air dam is in place. Heating up at speed is the biggest tell tale sign of it missing. It is either a coolant flow or air flow issue.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 AM

did u check any of the things they stated on that thread? Does engine light turn on at any given time? Is it on right now?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 AM

I haven't tired the things on that thread yet. The thing is this car runs fine up to 75 MPH. I can idol in traffic a long long time and no overheat at all. It is just at 75MPH.. I also have it in the overdrive gear so the RPM's are at about 3k at 75. I would also say climbing mountains it will start to overheat as well so it is more related to the RPM i woudl say. I can be in a lower gear climbing the mountain and it will start to creep up to the red on the temp gauge. It looks like 3k and over is were it begins to heat up.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shoebox
The most obvious thing to check is if the air dam is in place. Heating up at speed is the biggest tell tale sign of it missing. It is either a coolant flow or air flow issue.
Oooh, forgot about that. Good call.

No more posts are necessary in this thread until the OP has checked the air dam and reported back.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Okay on that note, one last thing. What is the proper way to check the AIr dam on a 1994 Camaro? What places do I check? I do live in the country also so over the winter critters can get into and under your car and mess with things.

If this fixes it I will post that it did so anyone else with the same issue will know the solution.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM

The air dam is a good idea but I would assume if it were missing that it would overheat even at a constant speed of 50 mph.

My 2 cents on this is a collapsing hose. Once a specific RPM is reached, in this case at 75 mph, the pressure may be too great for a deteriorating hose causing it to collapse into itself, therefore reducing the flow of coolant through the system.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by belcherman
Okay on that note, one last thing. What is the proper way to check the AIr dam on a 1994 Camaro? What places do I check? I do live in the country also so over the winter critters can get into and under your car and mess with things.

If this fixes it I will post that it did so anyone else with the same issue will know the solution.
http://shbox.com/1/front_end_sheet_metal_camaro.jpg - courtesy of shoebox
Part #42 is the air dam. Just look under the front end of the car to see if it's there.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Wrong forum for this question... this it the LT1 (V8) Engine forum. You have a V6. You can post in General 67-02 F-Body Tech, or V6 Tech. Pick one and I'll move the thread for you.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM

I guess the one that makes the most sense. I will check for the air dam shortly.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Sorry for not paying enough attention to the engine posted in the initial posting. The same ideas given in this thread deal with the V6 as well, continue using them as you troubleshoot.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM

Location: Wichita Falls, Texas - College. DF-Dub, when not in college
Originally Posted by CstIrnFst
The air dam is a good idea but I would assume if it were missing that it would overheat even at a constant speed of 50 mph.

My 2 cents on this is a collapsing hose. Once a specific RPM is reached, in this case at 75 mph, the pressure may be too great for a deteriorating hose causing it to collapse into itself, therefore reducing the flow of coolant through the system.
why would a hose collapse if the pressure was to great for an old hose? wouldn't it explode? for it to collapse a vacuum would be needed...usually when the car is off and the coolant is cooling down?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mswezey
why would a hose collapse if the pressure was to great for an old hose? wouldn't it explode? for it to collapse a vacuum would be needed...usually when the car is off and the coolant is cooling down?
I believe you're right to a point in regards to the vacuum. But I mentioned that since that was the scenario that I went though with the lower rad hose collapsing at higher RPMs. This caused it to overheat while up to speed on the highway. I replaced that hose and the problem was fixed.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 AM

It has been a while. Okay I looked under the front of the car and I don't see anything sticking down. I don't seem to have an air dam I guess. I am not sure what it looks like on my car but when I look under i don't see anything sticking down. I have been living in the mountains and the roads are terrible in some places so I can see a time when things underneath the car could get scraped.

I guess the next step would be ??? The GM dealer for an air dam?

Quick Reply: 1994 V6 Camaro over heats if I go over 75MPH