General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1993 Camaro - Need Some Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 07:50 AM

1993 Camaro - Need Some Guidance

So, I have always been a Camaro guy. My dad had one when I was a kid (a brown 1985 IROC) and ever since then I have just loved them. My first car in high school was a 1996 3.8L A4 and after college I upgraded to a 2002 SS M6 35th Anniversary Edition LE which I daily drove for 13 years until buying my first non-Camaro a few months ago. I also purchased a plain Jane 1969 Camaro right out of high school in 2003...with grand plans for it. Sadly, those plans were never realized and for a variety of reasons that car was sold in 2019.

Back in 2019, I faced somewhat of a dilemma. I had owned my beloved 1969 Camaro for nearly 16 years and most of that time it just sat. I lacked the funds to finish the car like I wanted to and now with a couple kids and a couple jobs...I wanted something I could enjoy with less of a headache. My kids were starting to get interested in cars (ages 5 and 3 at the time) and I wanted something more turnkey which we could take to car shows and enjoy. So, I ended up selling the car for a fair price and invested some of that cash into a car that I had wanted since I was a kid...a 1993 Camaro Z-28 Indy 500 Pace Car.

Since I had always wanted one of these cars and knew a little about them, I knew that I didn't want just any Pace Car (633 made)...I wanted one of the 125 numbered festival cars. I was also looking for a driver. Something with some miles on it to keep the costs down and that had been driven so all the seals weren't dried up and waiting to fail. So, I did some searching and after several months I found what I believed was the right car.

I found the car at a dealer in Illinois and after a few weeks of back and forth questions...I made the deal and bought it. I asked a ton of questions...about the condition of everything. Body, paint, that the windows, mirrors, A/C all worked. All I got were positive answers...the car was a clear clean, straight car with no issues. When the car arrived, not surprisingly the condition was less than described. Although I really liked it, I was disappointed in it.

In many ways, I never really gave the car a chance. I came to the conclusion that other than being cool looking...it was inferior in every way to my 2002 SS and not nearly as fun to drive. I loved looking at it and I love the attention it gets (people literally take photos of it in parking lots)...but I don't really care for driving it. After a year or ownership...I listed it for sale online for a few weeks before pulling it because down deep I like it. I just went through the same thing this spring...I listed it for sale and actually turned down 3 offers of$11K on it. I just pulled the sale again because I think I need to give this car a fair chance. I realize that I haven't done anything to this car to fix the issues that disappointed me because I was mad that it was misrepresented and I was afraid that upgrades would make it less "original." But, I want to enjoy it and I don't think that fixing its issues and adding a few bolt on upgrades would do any harm. So, here are the issues that I have with it...and what I was thinking to correct it. I would love some feedback.

I have posted a series of photos below...but long story short, the car has some rough paint issues. Nothing major...but a few ugly scratches especially on the front fenders and nose. It also has a home repair to the white paint on the passenger door. The car has 74,000 miles...so the chipping around the door is to be expected and not the end of the world, but I feel that a local body shop could probably easily fix these issues. The car is also missing some trim around the rear hatch window, and those little plastic pieces in front and behind the T-Tops. The car also looks like it had some kind of screwed on mud-flaps at one time (there are holes on each fender behind the tire).

The interior is in really nice shape with the exception of the headlight switch being chipped and a couple the window and lock buttons not being right (they don't have the yellow 1993 buttons). There is also some chipping of the finish on the plastic just under the windshield. I think all these could be easily fixed with a trip to the local wrecking yard outside of the plastic under the windshield which isn't a huge deal.

The CD player doesn't work and the stereo is buggy. Probably should just put in an aftermarket stereo.

The insulation on the underside of the hood is breaking down and there is some surface rust on the engine pulleys. I think removing the insulation is probably what I will do and not worry about the pulleys for now.

The heater doesn't work (it's hot for a few seconds and then goes cold). I suspect the heater core is plugged. I've never had the coolant system flushed. I'm going to have that done at the local oil change place next time I'm there and I'm hoping that it will unplug the heater core. If not, I will replace the heater core.

The driver side door mirror doesn't work but the passenger side does. I suspect the motor is bad.

The brakes have always felt spongy...like I need to press harder than I should. I'm wondering if there a little air in the lines. I'm going to have the fluid drained, replaced, and bled. Hopefully that solves this issue.

Finally, performance stinks. I understand that I daily drove a LS1 car with an M6 for years (which I still own) and now I'm driving an M3 everyday...this car won't have the same kind of performance as those but I want to make it something I enjoy driving. I was thinking some simple bolt on upgrades wouldn't hurt. Based on what I have seen, CAI and a cat back exhaust are the most popular things to do. I'd like to maintain the factory exhaust tips (I want a stock look) but upgrading the muffler would certainly help flow and make it sound better. I can't do a full exhaust or remove the cats due to emissions laws here. I have also heard that a performance chip goes along way. Possibly install a larger throttle body too (58mm?). On top of that, a mild suspension upgrade and some lower gears might be all it needs.

I know this is a somewhat rare car...but I don't think a few bolt on upgrades would do any harm to it. Do you?

I may also look into fuel rail covers to make the engine look a little cleaner...but I do understand that 1993 are a little different than other years so this is a little challenging.

I honestly don't think it will cost more than a few thousand dollars to make this a car I really enjoy. To take away the disappointment and make me want to keep it for a long time.

I would love some advice and suggestions.

Name:  ps0oyO7.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  1.10 MB

Name:  pmFy2IX.jpg
Size:  1.47 MB

Name:  lH4eIPl.jpg
Size:  1.79 MB

Name:  4x8AUq5.jpg
Size:  1.38 MB

Name:  stNPP6b.jpg
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  sV6MwsF.jpg
Size:  1.59 MB

Name:  Czj4yq5.jpg
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  Gy6Gedc.jpg
Size:  1.42 MB

Name:  pZEZhpJ.jpg
Size:  969.1 KB

Name:  nDkZMiN.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  1.36 MB

Old 04-24-2021, 07:50 AM

Re: 1993 Camaro - Need Some Guidance

Name:  MJxRg2N.jpg
Size:  862.2 KB

Name:  IYAISrr.jpg
Size:  641.2 KB

Name:  FbJeoaI.jpg
Size:  1.49 MB

Name:  7c43z7V.jpg
Size:  1.90 MB

Name:  vvSJ0JI.jpg
Size:  1.32 MB
Old 04-24-2021, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Random thoughts.....

The missing “nose” piece on the t-top separator bar is a common problem. Replacement is hard to find. I think I saw one once and they were asking $60. Check here:

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/camaro/93-97-camaro/

Might have replacement hood insulation too.

If the picture of the hatch glass is pointing out there is no rubber strip on the front/upper edge, that's because they didn’t install it until maybe 1995 or later. My 94 doesn’t have it and I bought my Formula brand new.

You don’t need a 58mm throttle body. Stock 48mm is fine on a “bolt-on” engine. The intake manifold bores are 52mm, so you can’t put a 58mm on it unless you open up the bores. 52mm throttle body is possible. I run a 58mm making a shade under 500 HP at the flywheel, and the shop that built the engine showed me on the engine dyno that the 58mm TB was oversize even at that level. Opening the blades past ~75% did not increase measured air flow.

Consider 1.6X full roller rockers, bypassing the coolant that runs through the base of the throttle body, a small cam. Make sure the catback has a 3” mandrel bent intermediate pipe. That’s where the performance gain is. With the auto trans, base V8’s got 2.73 gears (RPO “GU2”), and the performance rear axle option (GU5) got you 3.23’s. A set of 3.73’s will really wake it up. Dealing with the vehicle speed sensor is an issue, because you have to play with gears. VSS in a 93 isn’t compensated in the ECM.

The cosmetic flaws are a shame, but most of them look like they can be corrected. It really is a great model.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by RichieB16
Since I had always wanted one of these cars and knew a little about them, I knew that I didn't want just any Pace Car (633 made)...I wanted one of the 125 numbered festival cars. I know this is a somewhat rare car...but I don't think a few bolt on upgrades would do any harm to it. Do you?
It looks from the pictures, your car is #81. If that's correct, the car was assigned to Don Ohlmeyer, who I believe was a producer for ABC Sports. The car could have also been in the Festival Parade with a VIP or celebrity, but that information is harder to find because records weren't kept of who was in what car. As for bolt on upgrades, only a true pace car purist might have problems with that, but the car is yours to modify as you wish. The only thing I would suggest is keeping any original parts taken off, so the car could be put back to how it came from the factory later. Outside of a few mechanical problems, the car looks like a good detail would solve a lot of the cosmetic issues.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Random thoughts.....

The missing “nose” piece on the t-top separator bar is a common problem. Replacement is hard to find. I think I saw one once and they were asking $60. Check here:

https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/camaro/93-97-camaro/

Might have replacement hood insulation too.

If the picture of the hatch glass is pointing out there is no rubber strip on the front/upper edge, that's because they didn’t install it until maybe 1995 or later. My 94 doesn’t have it and I bought my Formula brand new.

You don’t need a 58mm throttle body. Stock 48mm is fine on a “bolt-on” engine. The intake manifold bores are 52mm, so you can’t put a 58mm on it unless you open up the bores. 52mm throttle body is possible. I run a 58mm making a shade under 500 HP at the flywheel, and the shop that built the engine showed me on the engine dyno that the 58mm TB was oversize even at that level. Opening the blades past ~75% did not increase measured air flow.

Consider 1.6X full roller rockers, bypassing the coolant that runs through the base of the throttle body, a small cam. Make sure the catback has a 3” mandrel bent intermediate pipe. That’s where the performance gain is. With the auto trans, base V8’s got 2.73 gears (RPO “GU2”), and the performance rear axle option (GU5) got you 3.23’s. A set of 3.73’s will really wake it up. Dealing with the vehicle speed sensor is an issue, because you have to play with gears. VSS in a 93 isn’t compensated in the ECM.

The cosmetic flaws are a shame, but most of them look like they can be corrected. It really is a great model.
Thank you for the information. I meant 52mm...not 58, that as a typo. But it sounds like even a 52 is excessive at least at this time. I don't see myself doing a cam in this car. I really don't want to make any internal changes to the engine as I'd prefer to stick with bolt on things to keep it easily returnable to original. This car is a GU5 so it has 3.23s. What's your opinion on a performance chip?

Also, thanks for the information about the trim around the back window. I had assumed it was missing as both my 1996 and 2002 Camaro's had trim there.

Originally Posted by peterpar
It looks from the pictures, your car is #81. If that's correct, the car was assigned to Don Ohlmeyer, who I believe was a producer for ABC Sports. The car could have also been in the Festival Parade with a VIP or celebrity, but that information is harder to find because records weren't kept of who was in what car. As for bolt on upgrades, only a true pace car purist might have problems with that, but the car is yours to modify as you wish. The only thing I would suggest is keeping any original parts taken off, so the car could be put back to how it came from the factory later. Outside of a few mechanical problems, the car looks like a good detail would solve a lot of the cosmetic issues.
It's car #91 and based on the research I did when I bought it, it was assigned to Lee Giles/Ted Linn of WISH-TV. I don't know anything more than that. Apparently the January/February 1994 issue of Camaro Enthusiast Magazine has a lot of info about these cars in it...but I haven't been able to pick up a copy.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:35 PM

e
It's car #91 and based on the research I did when I bought it, it was assigned to Lee Giles/Ted Linn of WISH-TV. I don't know anything more than that. Apparently the January/February 1994 issue of Camaro Enthusiast Magazine has a lot of info about these cars in it...but I haven't been able to pick up a copy.
I couldn't see the lower portion of the windshield number, but knew it had to be an eight or a nine, so I took a chance and thought it was #81. The 1994 Jan/Feb Camaro Enthusiast Magazine can sometimes be found on Ebay, but not very often anymore. The information was scatter through out the issue making it hard to find all the information that pertained to one car. I took all this information and consolidated it in a spreadsheet for the Camaro Pace Cars website. You can download a pdf copy of the spreadsheet using the link posted below. the picture below shows the cover of the 1994 Jan/Feb issue of Camaro Enthusiast Magazine to help you recognize it when you see it advertised for sale.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1993 Pace Cars (Locked).pdf (986.7 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 12:14 AM
Administrator

I would recommend a mail-order tune (in the form of a new custom chip) specific to your modifications. Not some “cookie cutter” Stage 1 off-the-shelf chip. I have seen good feedback and results on PCMofNC for many years. He used to do all the chip cars for pcmforless.

https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/1986...-order-tuning/
Old 04-25-2021, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
e
I couldn't see the lower portion of the windshield number, but knew it had to be an eight or a nine, so I took a chance and thought it was #81. The 1994 Jan/Feb Camaro Enthusiast Magazine can sometimes be found on Ebay, but not very often anymore. The information was scatter through out the issue making it hard to find all the information that pertained to one car. I took all this information and consolidated it in a spreadsheet for the Camaro Pace Cars website. You can download a pdf copy of the spreadsheet using the link posted below. the picture below shows the cover of the 1994 Jan/Feb issue of Camaro Enthusiast Magazine to help you recognize it when you see it advertised for sale.
Thank you for the spread sheet. It looks like mine was the 141st produced and the 121st for the US market. I have been looking for a copy of that magazine on and off for a while...I missed one on eBay about a month ago. Is there a Camaro Pace Cars website?

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I would recommend a mail-order tune (in the form of a new custom chip) specific to your modifications. Not some “cookie cutter” Stage 1 off-the-shelf chip. I have seen good feedback and results on PCMofNC for many years. He used to do all the chip cars for pcmforless.

https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/1986...-order-tuning/
Sounds good. Thank you. That is what I will do after I get the couple other modifications I want done. Will this have any impact on emissions?

I figure that as far as performance mods go...CAI, exhaust, gears, and a chip is probably all it will need. But it sounds like chip is the last thing to do.

Do you think it will be possible to upgrade the exhaust but keep the stock tips? I love the classic black rectangular tips on these cars.

Last edited by RichieB16; 04-25-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:36 PM

Thank you for the spread sheet. It looks like mine was the 141st produced and the 121st for the US market. I have been looking for a copy of that magazine on and off for a while...I missed one on eBay about a month ago. Is there a Camaro Pace Cars website?
Yes, there were twenty cars built for Canada, so after the Canadian cars were built, the US production number will always be twenty lower than the combined US/Canadian number. There is a Camaro Pace car website and they have a discussion forum, but it is not as active as it use to be. Many of the their members post on the Facebook site Pace Car and Truck Owners page now. You should check both of them out.