General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

[Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 PM

Exclamation [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

What is the average price difference between a say 96-97 z28 to a 2000-02 Z28? Also how much faster is a LS1 then a LT1, is it worth the price double to get a 00-02 camaro Z28 then a 96-97 Z28? can some one give me specs, like 0-60 for LS1 and 0-60 in a LT1, also quater mile ET's. Thanks just wondering cuz i will need a loan to buy either and i will deffinitly get one or the other. also maybe some stock dyno tests comparing each other would be kool thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:46 AM

Re: LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

my stock (except for a lid) LS1 made 317 rwhp and 328 rwtq.
If read here that the lt1 will FEEL faster than a LS1, but really isnt. I think its torque peak is lower. If you check in the LS1/ls6/ls7 section of this forum there is a sticky with alot of info on the ls1.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:19 AM

you could pick up a 98 or 99 for just a bit more than a 96 97. I paid 8 for a 96 almost 2 years ago (low miles &very clean, but still) now you can pick up a clean 98, or a 99 with 70K+ miles for that price. Those LS1s are no different than a 00-02 LS1. Thats perhaps your best deal. But now the 96 97s are cheaper too, so it's a toss up.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by TJ Chapman
you could pick up a 98 or 99 for just a bit more than a 96 97. I paid 8 for a 96 almost 2 years ago (low miles &very clean, but still) now you can pick up a clean 98, or a 99 with 70K+ miles for that price. Those LS1s are no different than a 00-02 LS1. Thats perhaps your best deal. But now the 96 97s are cheaper too, so it's a toss up.
the 98-99-00 ls1 are different from the 01 02.the 01-02 cars have the ls6 intake that gives them about 10 more hp, also 10% of the fbody's in 01 and 02 got the ls6 block these are usually your freak cars(as i call them)

as for the 0-60 times the lt1 i think is a little faster but the ls1 pulls so much harder on the top end that the lt1 can not keep up, the lt1 is good for a low 14 to high 13 trapping around 98-102 and the ls1 is a mid to low 13 car trapping around 102-108 ,now i have seen some freak lt1's go low 13's and some freak ls1 go high 12's.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:40 PM

LS1 0-60 is like 5.1 sec. and LT1 0-60 is like 5.7 sec.

LS1 runs mid-low 13s. l know a guy ran flat 13 sec in his bone stock Z28. LT1 runs high 13s and low 14s.

LS1s is much much more relaible than LT1s
Old 04-04-2006, 03:49 PM

we have both in our family...a 99 and a 94 Z28...love'm both (I preffer the 94...but that's just me).

Really, with any used car it depends more on the previous owner. It's hard to find one of these cars used that has not been beaten to death. If you do find a good used one...either car is very reliable...my 94 has 107K on the clock and still runs like new. I'm also very meticulous with the maintenence...same with the 99...both are fun cars, and there are pros/cons to both...asthetics of either are subjective and that should decided only by you.

As far as making either car faster in the aftermarket...it just depends on how deep your pockets are. Either car can make loads of power...just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

My advice is find one that has been very well taken care of and go from there. However, you'll be more likely to find a good used LS1 over an LT1 simply because it was the latest iteration..."good" LT1s are becoming more and more rare (that's why I'm hanging on to mine).

Here's a link to my LT1...judge for yourself:

http://community.webshots.com/album/30114053CkHbmJWGDx

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:53 PM

I'm sure doing a search will help out. As far as reliability, the LS1 isnt much more reliable then the LT1, only thing the LT1 gets a bad rep for is the Opti. By looking at these posts there are a lot of newbs giving some mis info, like the reliability of the LT1 and the LT1 being faster to 60. The LT1 will feel faster because it peaks lower, and some say it is "torquey'er" but the LS1 has more torque under every point then the LT1 but yea the LT1 feels faster then the LS1. It really depends on how much money you have to spend, including the car. If you have 10K total then picking up an LT1 car for like 6K and spending the rest on the car would yield a faster car. 15K-20K then you can pick up a nice 10K dollar LS1 car and then you would have a faster car. If you have an unlimited budget then you can really flip a coin. There are many head and cam LT1's putting up 400RWHP, which is about average for the LS1's with heads and cam. Also parts on LT1's are a bit cheaper but the LS1 stuff is coming down. I prefer the LT1 cars because I like being the "underdog" and showing up some LS1 owners who look down upon the LT1, but it's wrong to say that the LS1 isnt a better designed engine, but either can be made extremely fast
Old 04-04-2006, 05:41 PM

Well i am trying to spend up to $12,000 that could get me a LS1? I heard that certian years for the LS1 the block can't be machined because the cylinder walls sleeves are too thin. Well when i get a Z28 wether it has a LT1 or a LS1 i am not going to go to crazy, exhaust, intake the most a cam and or heads. I just want to have fun. I like the look of the newer ones, i don't mind the look of the older ones i love both. Is it possible to get a LS1 Z28 under 80,000miles M6 with T-tops or maybe no t-tops for around 12,000? Also not being beaten to death. Thx yea i am sort of a noob at this but i am trying to learn and i like peoples opinions.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by LTBlackBird
By looking at these posts there are a lot of newbs giving some mis info, like the reliability of the LT1 and the LT1 being faster to 60.

dude!!!

to be newbie on this web site doesnt mean being newbie on cars!!!

LS1 rated 0-60mph 5.1 sec. LT1 rated 0-60mph 5.7sec. on magazines u can see this and on web sites. also l am gonna tell u one, go to autotrader.com and compare and LT1 and LS1.
about relailibty, LT1 engine and tranny rated not good for relailibty but LS1 engine rated good for relailibty!! l can tell u web site about it too..

l am not trying to be dick but thats what l see and what l believe.. Maybe l am wrong!! but l have heard a lot of problems from LT1 owners also l am an LT1 owner too!!

Erdal
Old 04-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by DIYAR21
dude!!!

to be newbie on this web site doesnt mean being newbie on cars!!!

LS1 rated 0-60mph 5.1 sec. LT1 rated 0-60mph 5.7sec. on magazines u can see this and on web sites. also l am gonna tell u one, go to autotrader.com and compare and LT1 and LS1.
about relailibty, LT1 engine and tranny rated not good for relailibty but LS1 engine rated good for relailibty!! l can tell u web site about it too..

l am not trying to be dick but thats what l see and what l believe.. Maybe l am wrong!! but l have heard a lot of problems from LT1 owners also l am an LT1 owner too!!

Erdal
Yea you are right about the 0-60 times. But also if you look on autotrader.com, which isnt even a review site, just a site to sell cars, you'll see them rated at 305hp and 275-285hp, which everyone knows is wrong. And also it is proven that LT1 T-56's are a bit stronger the LS1 T-56's. Yes, I know being new to the site doesnt mean you know nothing, obviously i even have less posts then you. I have also seen on most sites that 98-02 cars can have different ratings on reliability since they are all virtually identical. Please, if you are trying to look on sites like autotrader to get the reliability ratings for these cars then you are looking in the wrong place. Sorry, not trying to be a dick either.

Mitch
Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 PM

Also with 12K, it depends on how many miles your looking at, you can easily get an LS1 with that money, but probably no less then 70K, an LT1 then you're looking at about as low as you can find one. Depends on mileage your looking at
Old 04-04-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by LTBlackBird
Yea you are right about the 0-60 times. But also if you look on autotrader.com, which isnt even a review site, just a site to sell cars, you'll see them rated at 305hp and 275-285hp, which everyone knows is wrong. And also it is proven that LT1 T-56's are a bit stronger the LS1 T-56's. Yes, I know being new to the site doesnt mean you know nothing, obviously i even have less posts then you. I have also seen on most sites that 98-02 cars can have different ratings on reliability since they are all virtually identical. Please, if you are trying to look on sites like autotrader to get the reliability ratings for these cars then you are looking in the wrong place. Sorry, not trying to be a dick either.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

so you are saying LT1s are not 275-285hp? so how many horses they got in real then?

l am not looking for these rating on autotrader.com man.. whichever compare website u visit, u will get the same numbers!!!

l am not saying you are wrong, but l am really confused about these F-bodies.. everyone says different numbers!!!

even dynos gives different numbers!!! WTF!?!?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:48 PM

this is the BIGGEST camaro website, why would i want to go some were else? So I still need my question answered about the block LS1 not being able to be machined? thanks for the responses so far. I know from people i work with at GOODYEAR, that a LS1 is faster better avg HP on all RPM's..... see so i know some stuff, but i like the opinions along with the facts. So can people tell me what they like better allready! and answer all my questions plz....lol well thx for the responses and i am not trying to get people arguing so......

Last edited by pitbull14218; 04-04-2006 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:11 PM

I feel bad for this guy, he just wants some info and you guys just bicker, take it to a pm or soemthing. In 98 I think it could only get a small hone of .005, but the years after the sleeves are able to take a small bore, not sure of the exact specs, but its higher then .005, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The ls1 is faster, but the LT1 is still fast, trust me. I love it, if my friends aren't paying attention or they look like they might fall asleep, to just give it alittle goose and let off real quick and watch there experessions :-) And everytime you think its slow, take someone for a ride, go wot up to about 110, and you'll probably get something along the lines of damn this things fast from the people riding with you.

If you have the money for an ls1 get it, if you don't nothing wrong with an lt1, its still fast and can be made to go extremely fast.

Last edited by JimboManJones; 04-04-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 PM

What I would buy.... an LT1. Just me though. Both cars are great cars, it's just the LT1 cars are out dated. Only common probs I hear of are the opticrap, and an oil leak at the back of the intake. I only replaced one opti and had the oil leak develop at about 115K.

I don't know of many probs with the LS1. I guess since few have the wear and tear of an LT1. For the record both cars with the 4l60e, have a crap tranny for high horsepower apps. Just not the best, but they will serve their purpose.

LT1 in stock for on average is a 275hp car at the crank. An LS1 is closer to 325-350 depending on year. These cars are notoriously underrated by GM at 305 and 315. Lt's are some times but not that much.

LT cars run 14.1 and LS cars run 13.4 on average in stock form. the better top end of the LS is obvious at the track. My LT seems to peeter out at the 1/8 where the LS pulls even harder. Better heads from what I am told.

As for the lack of machine work.... I would have to guess a myth. LS cars can be machined out to more cubes than an LT. Could be wrong but I highly doubt that you can't do any bore work.

For 12k you have two options. Buy the LT1 car and do the mods you mentioned (or maitenence)with some cash to spare. Buy the LS1 car and have no money left over for mods. It depends on how bad you want to mod it.

Quick Reply: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?