General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

[Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Old 04-09-2006, 11:49 PM

Re: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

The T-56 is, quite possibly, the single most destructive thing known to the 10-bolt rear. If drag racing is your thing, you might think of looking for an A4, though i'll be the first to admit the M6 is damn fun (and i own an A4).
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM

Re: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

plan on drag racing a little bit. driving it as a daily driver mostly.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Well for the money and since you're not looking at a serious race car then the LT1 would be the best bet. The strength in the block's and transmissions are plenty for what you plan on doing, and the rear end will probably be the only thing you might have to worry about. I would go with an LT1, you'll have more money to put in it, and you'll be a lot happier in the long run. I honestly wouldnt trade my car for any LS1 or any other car, i might eventually by one but not trade mine for it
Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 PM

Hey pitbull, I too was/sort of still are in your position. I am hoping to get a M6 z28 this summer. I read all of the previous replies to your question and there are some really good points there. Many of the same issues were are considering are pertinent to me as well. The body style is the biggest factor. The LT1 and LS1 styles are obviously quite different externally. My preference is the LT1, but i still like the LS1 models. Another thing that was mentioned was the cost. It is very true that there are some steals out there for LT1s, while the LS1, which may have something to do w/hype are much more. I will be able to comfortably afford an LT1 and make some mods to it.
Again, in my opinion was seeing both styles in action (racing some to no avail), the LT1 does jump off the line freakin hard! Its 325lb ft. of torque all comes on by 2400rpm, where as in the LS1, i beleive it is upwards of 5000 for 335 lb ft. If you want to easily match the performance of an LS1 for chep, just get the hotcam kit, or a CC305 kam kit each will set u back close to $500, but will eadge u past a stock LS1, as they both open up in the higher rpm's like the LS1 cam.
Also, for all the ppl out there who think that the exhust sounds better on an LT1 it does
Now, lets talk about insurance. You are gonna get raped, you can't help that, unless u have the car in someone else's name (older person). I am 22 now and I check w/ a state farm agent a few months back (when i was 21) and she gave me a quote for a fictitious 1996 z28. The total was $584.11/6 months (which is alot to say the least). I also see you live in NY, as do I, so finding a nice f-body is a little harder than down south but be flexible and one will come.
In my opinion it is more cost conscious to buy n LT1 mod it, whip the LS1 guys and gain the knowledge of your car. Go for: affordability 1st, then looks and drivability and power. Good luck on your decision. Get T-Tops too cuz they rock!
-Adam
Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by BMWKillR
Again, in my opinion was seeing both styles in action (racing some to no avail), the LT1 does jump off the line freakin hard! Its 325lb ft. of torque all comes on by 2400rpm, where as in the LS1, i beleive it is upwards of 5000 for 335 lb ft.
-Adam
The curve on an LS1 is better at every rpm than an LT1. It is a little deceiving, but it's true.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:04 AM

Re: LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Originally Posted by LTBlackBird
Also, not against anyone, but on average LT1 owners are a lot smarter and a lot more down-to-earth then most LS1 owners, there are too many cocky LS1 owners thinking there cars are the ****. I prefer this site so much more then LS1tech because of that fact right there, not that there aren't nice LS1 owners, but most of them are really cocky, well not most, just a lot

Had to chime in WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TAKING ABOUT . Lt1 owners are smarter then ls1 owners . How old are you 17 ?? You should be banned from posting anymore crap like this . The problem here is YOU ARE JEALOUS , get over it . No reason to be, all camaros kick *** . Someday you will own an ls1 too. " The poor hate the more fortunate , the minority hates the marjority "

I have owned an 69 , 86, 95, 2002 camaro. Of course an ls1 is better and faster then an LT1 ! Duh it came out later and was designed to be AN IMPROVEMENT over the previous motor/ car . Get real people .

Rob

Last edited by siggs229; 04-16-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:59 AM

Re: LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Originally Posted by siggs229
Of course an ls1 is better and faster then an LS1 ! Duh it came out later and was designed to be AN IMPROVEMENT over the previous motor/ car . Get real people .

Rob
Hmmm...the lower case Ls1 is definately inferior to the upper case LS1...yeah...definately an improvemt (ha,ha).

J/K...we all know what you ment.

Seriously...if you comparing it in STOCK form...yes...the LS1 is a stronger engine...but you can build anything to go fast (even civics (ha,ha)).

Unless you're buying a new car (especially concidering that the newest camaro you can buy is now 4 model years old)...you are more or less buying a platform to build from...in that case I don't think LS1 over LT1 really matters...it's just more of which platform you want; and what kind of shape the used car you find is in...just keep that in mind.

I own a LT1...and have owned it since 97...love it, and would NOT trade it. We also have a LS1 in the family...nice car also...I wouldn't necessarily say one is "better" than the other...just different.

If you plan on racing...chances are you're not going to leave it stock anyway.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:20 PM

I'm not trying to say all LS1 owners are dicks, and I'm not saying that no LT1 owners aren't. I'm just saying that there are a lot more young kids out there getting there hands on LS1's and thinking they're god's. Literally, people call it a scaled down version of God. I have plenty of LS1 friends, been around plenty of LS1's and yes the LS1 is a better motor. And yes i will own one, but I'll never get rid of mine. The LS1 is a lot more advanced but both can make some serious power, its just there are more, young, stock LS1 owners running around thinking they are the greatest then there are LT1 owners. Please sir, I too know what I am talking about, I apologize for offending anyone on here but in all honesty it is the truth. It's not because of the motor's, it's because of the attitudes and ignorance of a lot of the owners. And please sir, I am not jealous.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:38 AM

So why say anything then? It's just retarded to group people together based on the engine in their car.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:21 AM

All I was saying is that I have run into a lot more jack *** LS1 owners then LT1 owners, but I'm not giong to judge you buy the motor you have it's just an observation that I have made. Nothing against the LS1 or any of the owners and no I'm not trying to stereotype all like this but I have had my fair share of personal encounters. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:33 PM

The LS1 has better gains from bolt-ons, especially a cam, you easily can have 350 RWHP with a cam from an LS1, even as much as 400 RWHP with a big nasty cam.
There are many cam only LS1 cars that have eclipsed 450rwph. There are a few heads/cam LS1 cars that have reached the 500rwhp mark on stock displacement.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:35 PM

All I was saying is that I have run into a lot more jack *** LS1 owners then LT1 owners, but I'm not giong to judge you buy the motor you have it's just an observation that I have made. Nothing against the LS1 or any of the owners and no I'm not trying to stereotype all like this but I have had my fair share of personal encounters. Sorry if I offended anyone.

You pretty much did stereotype though. Personal encounters are not always the golden rule to live by.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 PM

Well being a LT-1 owner LS-1 cars are a little faster but 12,000 to spend go LT-1 buy heads and cam and then judged for yourself because parts for the LS-1 are still real pricey for the same parts.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 AM

I would say LS1s are alot faster. A stock LS1 is usually good for around 350hp at the motor, regardless of whether it is a Vette or an Fbody, and regardless of how they advertised it. Having a friend with an LT1 that I am regularly in, and owning an LS1, the LS1 is alot faster.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:57 AM

I get what he's saying though. I payed $10k for mine and that's only cause i worked at the dealership i bought it from otherwise it would have been closer to 13-14k. For that money, i coulda done a lot of **** to an LT1.

But, i look at it this way, i didn't have $10k just laying around (hell, i didn't have 5k laying around either), so i financed it. Most banks won't finance a 9-10 year old car, so an LT1 would have been out of the question anyways. The newer LS1 got me the financing and down the road, i'll have a better platform to start with. For now, i'll be having a blast in the f-stock class auto-x the crap out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?