General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

[Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:07 PM

Re: LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

my advice, LT1, let you start out in the "bottom" (because it really can be made just as fast) and work your way up. You wont be dissapointed and you won't start out all cocky that you have an LS1. They are very fun to work with and can be made very fast, also they sound terrific. I would get an LT1
Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM

hmmm....but then it would most likely have more miles, which gets better gas mileage, probly the LT1?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:35 PM

no ls1 gets beter gas millage and you can find low millage lt1's there some out there with under 14,000 miles... i personally would say go with lt1 for your first car
Old 04-06-2006, 09:44 PM

With zero credit, your interest rate is gonna kill you. You might have to get an LT1 just because of financial reasons. What you need to do is check into what kind of loan you'll qualify for before doing anything else. Then check into insurance. Still living with mom, i'm guessing you're young, so insurance can be pricey.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by GRNcamaro
I don’t know I haven’t look at dyno numbers off f-bodies and camaros but if you look at a vet intake its much like the one on the ls1 and is a straight shot into the throttle body un like the wining and turning of the f bodies intake the same as goes for the exuast of the car on the vet is a strait shot right out the back you look at the camaro it twists and turns all the way out the car and then it has to go over the rear axle I don’t know how true this is but I was told that every 90 degree turn an exuast system takes steals about 3-4 hp like I said I don’t know if its true but I was also told on big rigs they try not to put turns that add up to 180 for the same reason so I would imagine its true I know turning exuast systems is bad for flow I wouldn’t be surprise if gm over rated or under rated one of the cars
Huh?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 AM
Administrator

As part of the CamaroZ28.COM Podcast each week, we choose a thread that we like to review. This week in Episode #31, we have chosen this thread to be our thread of the week!

You can hear the episode directly at https://www.camaroz28.com/podcast, and click on the Listen Now button. If you have an RSS reader, you can point that at http://feeds.feedburner.com/camaro - we are also available in the Itunes music store.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:37 AM

my advice, LT1, let you start out in the "bottom" (because it really can be made just as fast) and work your way up. You wont be dissapointed and you won't start out all cocky that you have an LS1. They are very fun to work with and can be made very fast, also they sound terrific. I would get an LT1
What he said ^^

I bought my LT1 off this board for $4,000 with 100k miles and it was in great shape, another $2500 later it's a half second quicker than my LS1, which I still OWE $7,000 for.

The reason I bought the '99 TransAm is because I wanted a nice sports car to drive every day, it's only been to the track a few times in 3 years just to see what it would run.

The '95 isn't nearly as comfortable, but it feels a WHOLE lot faster and it cost literally 1/3rd the price of my LS1.

Last edited by camaro81; 04-07-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:02 AM

I checked into the loans allready, i need a co sign, for 12,000 the interests is like around 10 percent i think. I had my lisense for three years now so my insurance rates went down, i can afford the insurance and the car payment for a 5 year loan. I just didn't realize that i could probly get an LS1 car for the amount of money i want to spend.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:49 AM

LT-1s are mucho fun heh

This is what I got for $5,000 about 2 1/2 months ago.

1995 Pontiac Trans Am
LT-1 5.7L V8 of course heh
60K Miles (Has 61K now)
White exterior
T-Tops
Light Gray Leather Interior
Tinted Windows
Power Everything
Premium Sound
CD-Player
Automatic tranny w/ Performance Mode button thing (Shifts around redline)
I got Lucky and got 3.23 gear ratio on my T/A stead of 2.73s
Interior is in like 9.8 out of 10 Shape, looks so clean lol
Exterior is like 9.7 out of 10 Shape, White looks so classy on these LT1 T/As

So good deals are out there man you just have to keep looking, if you want send me a pm of color and wht transmission ur lookin for and ill aid you in your search

Ado
Old 04-07-2006, 10:48 AM

Re: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

sorry in my post i ment to say corvette and f-body sorry
Old 04-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Re: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?

Well, anyone know how much a Trans Am or a Z28 with a LS1 M6 under 80,000miles costs around? Thats what i think i want if the price is right, I heard a LS1 is alot faster so if the cost is right hich i might be able to find then i would rather have that. Its not like i am going to do alot to either LT1 or LS1 car, exhaust intake and maybe a cam, so.... any clues? Thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Go look on www.nada.com for pricing. It'll give you a rough idea for what they go for. Other than, just start looking around.

Good deal on the co-signer's part, btw. I never had anyone co-sign for me, my first truck ('96 S-10, brand new) i was paying 17.99%. lol.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:37 AM

I just recently bought my '01 Z28 for $12k. Unfortunately, I had to take what I could find so it's an A4, but at least it's black, has t-tops, a clean title, and 65k on the clock. It was mostly stock too, save the Magnaflow catback which I was wanting to throw on it anyway. There ARE good $12k LS1s out there at the price you're looking for, but keep in mind that you're looking for a very specific car.

I follow the crowd on this one when they recommend the LT1 for the sake of affordability and first-time experience. Besides, LT1s are still running strong in today's streets. Speaking of LT1s... I'd do anything to take back my stupid decisions that led to the totaling of my '94 T/A.

Something to keep in mind; most lenders will only finance a car that's up to X years old. BofA, for instance, will only finance a used car up to five years old (lucky me). With that circumstance in mind, you may be forced to buy an LS1.

Good luck with your loan and car.

Last edited by NightWindDriftr; 04-09-2006 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 AM

Well, lets start talking about some more differences, between these cars, I want a M6 Z so are the newer T56's stronger at all? How strong is the stock rotating assembly? What was the most HP seen threw a stock bottom LS1, What was the most HP seen with the stock heads. Lets get some more of that stuff going. I went to Nada and some of the prices seem too low, like i won't find it, but i dunno.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM

As far as the T-56, the LT1 T-56 is a bit stronger, but unless you're looking for a sub 10 second car then you have nothing to worry about, it's the rear ends that will break on you and they are the same for both LT1's and LS1's. The LS1 has better gains from bolt-ons, especially a cam, you easily can have 350 RWHP with a cam from an LS1, even as much as 400 RWHP with a big nasty cam. On an LT1 a mild cam would put you in like the 310 RWHP maybe 320, a nasty cam could get you 350-360, maybe even a little more. Head and Cam LS1's can easily see 450+ and LT1's can easily see 400+. As far as the blocks, the LT1 is cast iron so its a bit stronger and more friendly to Nitrous, but again, these differences are only noticed when you start looking at serious power, just liek the 6 bolt main LS1's vs 2 bolt F-body LT1's. Unless you're looking at more then 600 or even 700 hp then the 2 bolt will hold up just fine. What really matters is what are your plans for your car, what is your ultimate goal and how fast do you want that done? Also how much money are you wanting to spend, we can sit here and list pro's and cons to each engine all day, but until we know what you want to do we can't give you the best advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Podcast Thread of the week] LS1 Vs. LT1 whats the difference in performance?