General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

[B]Auto Or Manual?[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:09 PM

Re: [B]Auto Or Manual?[/B]

I think that both are great, but I like manuals cause they are rated stronger from the factory. Most of the time they are far less problematic.

4L60E - Max TQ - 350-360ft/lbs
T-56 - Max TQ - 450ft/lbs

Manuals also have better/more gearing for gas mileage meaning you can put steeper gears out back and more cam in without running down the highway 70mph at 3500rpm getting 4 miles to the gallon.

Altough M6's are tougher on the rear end, hard launches in a M6 mean your buying a 12 bolt for Christmas.

A4's are nice since you can stall the hell out of them and make your launches real fun.

Lots of factors to consider, but me being at a point of internal engine work, I wish I had a M6 so I wouldnt have to pray for my A4 every night after the extra power was added.

-Dustin-
Old 03-27-2005, 07:52 AM

manual is faster stock for stock...but once you stall/gear/dr the auto things change
Old 03-27-2005, 07:35 PM

Manual cars are faster mod for mod. More gears..Less drivetrain loss. Assuming you can drive anyway. And from a roll with a good driver a manual will beat an Auto.

I was an auto man till I owned one. " LT1 auto" me and most my friends had auto's. I test drove a six speed , bought it and was waxing their lightly bolt on cars in my stock auto not to mention the it was faster then my auto LT1 wich had some bolt ons and had less then half the miles of the manual.

Drive them first. Dont be partial till you test it yourself. Alot of people are in denial here about how much better the manual really is.

Now if you are drag racing for consistancy" Competition" Then auto's are better because manuals are less consitant due to human error.

Have fun!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:36 PM

here is as intelligent response as the one you just gave...

your retarded...in denial?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 PM

-Dustin-
Old 03-27-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri

-Dustin-
and YOUR response was too...youve probably never even had a single problem with your 4L60E yet you regurgitate disinformation...which is where the bad rep comes from...
Old 03-27-2005, 10:55 PM

IF you want a manual get it or you are going to regret it.

People will argue what is better till the cows come home...

My opinion on auto vs. manual...

With a manual you can control how hard or how soft you launch, what RPMs, you can powershift, or granny shift, you can drive aggressively, or very fuel efficiently.

It lots of fun to just come around a corner, put it in second, punch it and dump the clutch and get the car sideways.

An auto, is nicer in daily driving( I don't mind shifting, its like 2nd nature to me) And more consistant at the track. I am consistant in my manual, but not everyone is.

Its all about opinion, but If I had my choice I'd take a manual anyday.

Last edited by MustangEater82; 03-27-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by BadCo.
and YOUR response was too...youve probably never even had a single problem with your 4L60E yet you regurgitate disinformation...which is where the bad rep comes from...
To put my feelings toward your post lightly, your acting like complete idiot. You have no idea what experience I have with 4L60E's or 700R4's. Your comment has not one shred of evidence or proof about my "regurtitation of disinformation". Your out of line and I think you need to take two steps back and realize that you dont know **** about me before you get this thread locked down.

Did your G/F cheat on you today or something? All I did was put a ;think; face after your comment cause I dont understand who it was for or what it meant? Calm yourself, its transmissions.

Your last two posts are worthless and arogant. There is no need for that here.

-Dustin-
Old 03-28-2005, 12:36 AM

Manual gets my vote

How often do you hear about unsatisified LT1/T56 owners?
Old 03-28-2005, 08:07 AM

I know you are but what am I?..

Grow up! You call me a retard but you the one quick to call names.

People like you make me sick.My diff in Opinion is just that. If you dont like it, get out.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Automatic cars are typically more expensive than standard cars because the auto is normally considered the "luxury" option. However, when it comes to sports cars (F-bodies, 'Vettes, etc) then standards become the more desired ("sporty") option, and therefore they carry the "luxury" price instead of the autos!? Weird, eh?
I'm not sure what you mean...the manual was standard equipment on my 1995 Z28...in 1995 the auto transmission was optional equipment (in my car anyway) and carried an additional price tag of (I'd have to dig out it's paperwork) around $700.00.
I don't doubt that the auto was more back in '95, but I know that when I was pricing out cars when I bought mine back in '02, the 6-speed was an ~$800 (CDN$) option, while automatic w/2.73's was the "standard" equipment. I bought mine off a dealership lot, otherwise I would have ordered a 6-speed and paid the extra $800. However, orders stopped in March of '02, and I didn't buy my car 'til the end of June, so I had to take what I could get.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:49 PM

Your an ***...
Old 03-29-2005, 12:42 PM

I bought a brand new Z28 in 1995. I had to wait 6 months for it special order.

The Auto was standard equipment, and the 6-speed was a no-cost option. I ordered the 6-speed.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
To put my feelings toward your post lightly, your acting like complete idiot. You have no idea what experience I have with 4L60E's or 700R4's. Your comment has not one shred of evidence or proof about my "regurtitation of disinformation". Your out of line and I think you need to take two steps back and realize that you dont know **** about me before you get this thread locked down.

Did your G/F cheat on you today or something? All I did was put a ;think; face after your comment cause I dont understand who it was for or what it meant? Calm yourself, its transmissions.

Your last two posts are worthless and arogant. There is no need for that here.

-Dustin-
Dustin...go to Oprah...I don't care about your feelings

Capn Pete...I think the guys that built the 1995 and even your 2002 built them with the manual in mind to be the best tranny for these cars, yeah it is probably the ideal tranny for these cars...stay cool and see yah on the road (In my auto)

but I honestly think the bad rep of the 4L60E is a load of crap, regurgitated misinformation spewed out over and over again by people that probably dont even have a clue how an auto works other than D is that way>>>and R is that way <<<<

lol...I digress...before this thread gets locked..and to the originator of this thread...I still believe the car that is in the best shape, mileage, carfax and history be it auto or manual is your best choice. best of luck, sincerely! J
Old 04-01-2005, 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=TABAHR]I bought a brand new Z28 in 1995. I had to wait 6 months for it special order.

The Auto was standard equipment, and the 6-speed was a no-cost option. I ordered the 6-speed.[/QUOTE

The 6 speed manual O/D on my 95 was standard equipment, the automatic trans with overdrive was a 775.00 option

Last edited by BadCo.; 04-01-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: [B]Auto Or Manual?[/B]