Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Write up on optispark?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Write up on optispark?

I'm looking for a write up or link explaining how an optispark works. Searched google, yahoo, wikipedia and howstuffworks. Didn't find what I wanted. Also did a search here and got tired of looking after about the 3rd or 4th page. I'm looking for an explanation like you'd find on howstuffworks.com Hopefully with illustrations. Kind of like optispark for dummies, or something. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Shoebox has a good explanation here: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test
Old 03-09-2007, 03:36 PM

So, if I understand it correctly, the 95 opti ignition system utilizes one central coil, not one for each plug. Also a transistor controls the "breaker points" to induce flow through the coil. The opti rotor and cap function very similar to a distributor cap and rotor to distribute the spark. Correct?
Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 PM

You are correct that it's a single coil system with a distributor built into the spark portion of the opti/spark. As far as the "breaker points" analogy, it's a smarter system than that, the PCM makes decisions of ignition timing based on the optical encoder input, engine coolant temp, throttle position, engine load (MAP) and knock sensing to determine when to fire the spark through a solid state switch.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM

I understand the PCM takes many factors into account when it induces flow via the transistor. I just meant that the transistor electronically causes the system to lose ground and induce current into the coil. Right?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by maro z28
I'm looking for a write up or link explaining how an optispark works. Searched google, yahoo, wikipedia and howstuffworks. Didn't find what I wanted. Also did a search here and got tired of looking after about the 3rd or 4th page. I'm looking for an explanation like you'd find on howstuffworks.com Hopefully with illustrations. Kind of like optispark for dummies, or something. Thanks.
It's not for dummies, but explains all: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ing_modifying/
Old 03-09-2007, 09:53 PM

... The opti rotor and cap function very similar to a distributor cap and rotor to distribute the spark. Correct?
It does, because that is what they are. The opti is the distributor (it's real name).
Old 03-09-2007, 10:52 PM

My question is regarding the ICM. Does it act as a transistor, breaking the ground to cause the pulse?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Administrator

So, if I understand it correctly, the 95 opti ignition system utilizes one central coil, not one for each plug.....
Just curious.... have you looked under the hood of a 95 LT1?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:50 PM

Yes, but the car is at my grandparents house during the week. I live near the city, where my ls1 got stolen, so I have a POS to drive during the week and my TA is a weekend warrior. I ask most of these questions when I am 30 miles away from the TA. Also, I'm bored.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:43 PM

The ICM does switch the ground on/off to induce a spark from the coil.

If you are bored, why not get a factory service manual and read it?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

Yes, but the car is at my grandparents house during the week. I live near the city, where my ls1 got stolen, so I have a POS to drive during the week and my TA is a weekend warrior. I ask most of these questions when I am 30 miles away from the TA. Also, I'm bored.
We see your bored.....alot of the stuff you ask, I myself learned at a young age from reading whatever I could get my hands on...mostly magazines, I used to read thru my dads old service manuals, parts catalogs etc.

Reason I saw this is alot of this stuff explains better and in more detail w/pictures It may help you more to do that, I know you get alot of short answers here sometimes
Old 03-10-2007, 08:18 PM

I just got into the cars, so I'm still real green with all of it. I've got several magazines and read service manuals from time to time as well. Thanks for all your help and responses, though. Still, a lot of people on the boards seem to get frustrated and aggravated that some ask questions. Sure, there are other ways to get information. I can just get the info, do it for free on the net and get a much more broad spectrum of info here. Plus, Not gonna lie, it's easier to just ask for info then buy and reads books and magazines. Although, don't get me wrong, I do read and am not against finding answers the hard way. It's just easier this way, sometimes.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

I just got into the cars, so I'm still real green with all of it. I've got several magazines and read service manuals from time to time as well. Thanks for all your help and responses, though. Still, a lot of people on the boards seem to get frustrated and aggravated that some ask questions. Sure, there are other ways to get information. I can just get the info, do it for free on the net and get a much more broad spectrum of info here. Plus, Not gonna lie, it's easier to just ask for info then buy and reads books and magazines. Although, don't get me wrong, I do read and am not against finding answers the hard way. It's just easier this way, sometimes.
the reason people get frustrated is your asking alot of general automotive stuff, and its not really geared towards the f-body......Just read alot of tech articles an after time you will know all the terms etc. that people are refering to
Old 03-10-2007, 10:27 PM

Well, sorry to disagree, but where it is gen. automotive it is fbody based. Optispark-LT engine specific. All the suspension questions I've posted are in regards to the suspension set ups on fbodies. I inquired about how a water pump was gear drive-again LT motor(Gen 2 SBC) based. Either this is a tech website or it isn't. I am asking tech questions related to Chevy, and more specifically, fbody performance. If it bothers anyone, just don't read or answer my posts. Sorry, just the way I see it.

Also, a lot of times I just ask to be pointed in the right direction(links, write ups, books, etc..) so I can read and learn for myself.

Last edited by maro z28; 03-10-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Write up on optispark?