Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Strong Fuel smell LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Strong Fuel smell LT1

I've read some of these threads and mine sounds similar but not exact to some of the others.
I'm getting a strong fuel odor most noticable when coming to a stop, if I have the windows open than the smell is overwhelming, windows closed it noticable as well. This started probably last fall but would only notice when I'd get out of the car right after shutoff, now it's much worse for a couple weeks now.
The fuel pump was replaced, but that was many years ago. The smell seems to be coming from the rear of the car, fuel fill side...failed inspection 2 years ago cause of the cap and replaced it, no leakage on the ground or that I can see when it's running.
The car has orginal catalytic converter, cat-back exhaust a few years old, overall, car has 85K I don't suspect the exhaust at this point.
Consensus on the other threads is to check the lines to the charcoal canisters - any tips on easiest way to do that (starting with location) or any thing else I should start with?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Re: Strong Fuel smell LT1

The vent line from the tank to the canister starts on top of the tank, at the pump support assembly. When mine fell apart - either rotted out, or from the tank being pulled to install a sump - it was almost exactly what you described. I made the guys that pulled the tank repair the lines, so I don't know the details of the routing.

Shoebox has a copy of the factory diagram, which isn't very good:

http://shbox.com/1/evap_system.jpg
Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM

So basically the tank has to be taken down then? That's unfortunate, I had a place do it (which is now out of business), and they did it the 'right' way - not by cutting the whole in the back floor but taking off the exhaust, rear axle, etc, cost me a ton in labor. Doesn't sound like any easy fix...would hate to live with this but might have to.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 PM

Ok so, I've been living with this but no longer think it's the charcoal canister, at least based on where the smell is coming from. If I drive in stop and go traffic with the AC on it blows raw gasoline smell thru the A/C vents all till I'm light headed. If I leave it running and step out the smell seems to be coming right from the intake manifold on the motor where those fuel lines come in.
Any more ideas, any 4th Gen guys still out there?