Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

What is best LT1 fuel pump & INJ??

Old 07-03-2013, 08:19 AM

What is best LT1 fuel pump & INJ??

Ok i'm sure this has been discussed before but i'm not having any luck finding it when i search. What is the opinion you guys have on best performance fuel pumps. Also opinion on best 60 lbs INJ.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Re: What is best LT1 fuel pump & INJ??

Are you looking for low impedance or high impedance 60 #/HR injectors?

What level flywheel HP does the fuel pump need to supply?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM

High impedance injectors and looking for 750 to 800 would like to continue to use stock fuel lines and tank. I believe they would handle enough volume to supply that HP range. I'm wanting to get rid of my booster pump for my current Nos dry setup. But wanting to see if there is a conversion to change over to a plate setup or if I just need to sell my dry setup for a plate system?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Administrator

I run 800HP (500NA + 300 dry N2O). I'll tell you what I have:

Dual Bosch 205 LPH fuel pumps - 1 in the stock in-tank location (runs all the time), and 1 running off a sump added to the rear/bottom of the stock tank (runs only when the nitrous system is armed).

-10AN suction off the back of the tank to the external pump, buth pumps discharge through -6AN lines to an NOS "Y" fitting, then to a single -6AN line (equivalent to the stock 3/8" supply line diameter), to an SX billet fuel filter in the stock location.

-6AN line forward up to the firewall, then up to the rear of the fuel rails. NOS "Y" fitting to split into two -6AN lines, one into the rear of each stock rail (ends of rails cur off, -6AN fitting welded on).

-Rails run in parallel (there is a fuel pressure bung on the passenger side rail) to a -6AN fitting welded to the diagonal crossover pipe at the front of the rails, then a -6AN line to a Weldon adjustable fuel pressure regulator under the cowl.

-6AN return line to the tank (slightly larger than the stock 5/16" line).

-64 #/HR Bosch low impedance injectors, operating at 58psi (4 bar) = 74 #/HR. These are the old style. Bosch has newer, improved style injectors. I would also look at the FAST injectors. I have no experience with high impedance injectors at this level.

-Engine management via a MoTeC M48Pro system, with the ability to run an optimized normally aspirated tune, and then overlay the require fuel and timing adjustments when the nitrous system is armed (stage 1 - 125HP) and then another level of adjustments when the button on the shifter is pushed (stage 2 - 175HP). Tune is speed-density, open loop, no knock sensor.

-nitrous is supplied supplied through a -6AN line, into an NOS "Y", to 2 NOS super powershot solenoids, each through a -4AN line to an NOS fan-jet nozzle mounted in the outlet of a WS6 air box, directly into the throttle body. The usual stuff like cockpit mounted fuel and nitrous pressure gauges, RPM window control and TPS control through the MoTeC.

My system was set up by Second Street Speed in Perkasie, PA. They are one of the few authorized MoTeC tuners (Kenny Dutweiler is another) and specialize in dry nitrous. When I asked them about a plate system, they indicated that they found major maldistribution of nitrous with the plate behind the throttle body. If nitrous distribution is that bad with a dry system, I would suspect fuel and nitrous distribution would be a major problem with a wet system, but that is just speculation. The MoTeC system is capable of individual trims on each injector and timing for each cylinder and based on EGT analysis and spark plug observation, they found no indication of maldistribution with the simple fan-jet system in front of the throttle body.

I also had a chance to examine their sub-7-second Pro 5.0 Mustang, and for dry nitrous they were using the NOS NOSzle system, that mounts a small direct port injector directly under each fuel injector. They only supplied nitrous through the NOSzle, even though its designed to supply fuel as well. They used a MoTeC engine management system to take care of supplying the extra fuel through the injectors.

They relied heavily on the Bosch 205LPH pumps, because of their very high reliability. One of mine is now 18 years old, being the original booster pump in the 5176 dry kit I installed in 1995. NOS no longer supplies that grade booster pump. Where Second Street needed more fuel, they just kept adding the Bosch pumps in parallel - they had a Porsche Turbo that had four of the Bosch pumps. When I asked them why it need four pumps, they explained that it was make more than twice the HP of my LT1.

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 AM

Thanks very apriciated!!!!!! From the sounds of what you have seen the wet plate setup is not the way to go?? Witch is my original thought that the LT1 intake was made for air and not fuel so was concerned that a plate setup would let back cylinders load up and front be left with out but seems like alot of people are running them with no problems. If you dont mind what style of NOS set up are you running?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Administrator

It's a dry system..... as noted above. 2 NOS super powershot nitrous solenoids, 2 NOS fanjet nozzles in the outlet of a WS6 ram air airbox. When originally installed, it was a 2-stage system..... currently a single stage. All the controls are via the MoTeC engine management system. 10# bottle in the hatch well, NOS bottle heater, NX nitrous filter, Autometer gauges for both fuel and nitrous pressure. Custom control panel in the driver's side door pocket - arm, heater, purge and bottle opener (which is no linger used).

I've thought about some changes - bought a mount to move the bottle onto the DS hump behind the console, would like to get a nano system..... but for the last 8 years I've been working a ridiculous 5-1/2 day, 60HR/week schedule, and I have no time for the car any more.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the reply gives me some good info on witch way to go.