Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Racetronix Walbro 255 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM

Racetronix Walbro 255 fuel pump

Hello all, about a year ago I orded a Walbro pump from Summit and never got around to installing in. A couple of weeks ago I decided to go ahead, and when I got the stock pump out, I thought it would be better to order the racetronix kits with the hose and wiring connected and sell the summit Walbro pump.

Well, I got the kit from Thunder racing and noticed right away that the Racetronix pump inlet is in the center PN(GSS340), compared to the summit pump PN(F20000169). When I inserted the pump into the bucket, the side hits the wall. I can't see how this center inlet pump can mount properly. The Summit pump fits fine.

When I sent an email to Racetronix, they basically told me I was too ignorant to read their directions (which was a sheet of paper with references to picture links on the internet that did not work.) -and that I should search on Cz28 as many people have used this center inlet pump and it works, no problem.

I did some searching, and it seems this pump doesn't work so well.

1. Does this center inlet pump really work? What am I supposed to do grind away my bucket?

2. Did racetronix later change to the offset pump? Has anyone gotten this pump with their kit?

3. If I cannot send this pump back, I would much prefer to use the offset inlet pump, what kind of clamp is holding on the hose on the racetronix pump? Can I use a standard hose clamp to put the hose on my walbro, or is the pressure too high?

4. In addition the black strainer retainer piece was cracked and they didn't even address this issue.
I have to say, I was willing to pay $150 to have something that would install properly and painlessly. I'm a bit dissapointed with this. From Racetronix's response to me, this will be the last thing I buy from them.

Tim
Old 03-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

There's a post on the "Fuel and Ignition" forum that discusses the two different Racetronix designs. I'll move your post to that forum, since right now you are on the "LT1 Engine" forum.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM

May I ask why you did not contact ThunderRacing instead? Racetronix has on their homepage: "Racetronix encourages customers to purchase from our authorized dealers for personalized support."
This statement, along with the fact that they don't list a phone number, seems to indicate they prefer you go through the dealer rather than straight to them. Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM

I did contact both. Racetronix told me to read the manual instead of explaining why they used the pump they did. The manual has a couple of old links that don't work, so I read the first few lines and then didn't read the rest. After reading some posts, I ground the ridges off of the bucket and it fit, but I think the other Walbro pump with the offset inlet would be a better solution.

As as customer I didn't appreciate Racetronix's response...but that's ok. Hopefully it works with no problem. Here are the pics of the Walboro with offset inlet, stock, and Racetronix center inlet, (with cracked retainer for fuel strainer.)

Last edited by tim95z28; 03-16-2010 at 08:20 PM.