Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

P1361 Code and Delteq

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 AM

P1361 Code and Delteq

Yesterday on my way home from work, my 97 Camaro bucked hard during acceleration and began to misfire pretty heavily. When I got home and scanned for the code I saw P1361. Which is the ICM low voltage at circuit (or something close to that). I drove the car after clearing the code and letting the car cool. I saw a few misfires returned on the different cylinders, and could notice it a little when driving. It is not nearly as bad and didn't throw a code.

So this leads me to a couple of questions. I read that my delteq system doesn't use the factor ICM and it is controlled by the delteq box. So it could be that but since the issue seems to subside as the car cooled it has me thinking that the delteq box is fine. I would expect the delteq to fail consistently and not be temperature related. I also read that it could be the optical sensor that will start to malfunction at high temperatures and the high resolution signal will disappear occasionally.

I am going to run through some of the diagnostic steps tonight, but wanted to get some feedback if I am heading down the right path.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Re: P1361 Code and Delteq

The Delteq box is an electronic device just like the ICM.... why wouldn't it be susceptible to heat soak and intermittent problems.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM

I guess it could be. I just didn't see anything talking about that. If it is heat soak, how long will it take for it to appear? That day I just left work and the car had been running for maybe 10 minutes (85 deg day). Truly, I am just hoping it is not. Currently I having no problems, and I am getting a signal from the Opti consistently. I am going to try and get the car heated up tonight to see if I can get it to happen again.

If it is the Delteq I am probably going to need to remove the system. I doubt I'll have much luck finding any replacement parts. I really don't want to go back to the opti.

Last edited by Clean97Z; 07-15-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 PM

I have read of multiple people reporting heat soak issues with the delteq(back when I was considering it or the ltcc) some had moved the box(brain) to a cooler spot and had better results. I also have seen some used delteqs still operational on ebay and ls1 tech classifieds when I was still parts shopping. With no tech support or service you dont have alot of options other than the 24x or ltcc or the opti given your unit is on its last legs.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM

I ran it tonight and got it warm. The car acted up once and through the same code, but turning the car off and restarting it resolved the problem.

When it was acting up, it happened about 10 minutes into my drive. After re-starting the car I drove another 10 minutes plus I idled it in my drive for another 10 with no issue. I also got out of the car when it was acting up, but I think the issue started to resolve itself before I had time to look at the opti signal on the delteq box.

I had my diagnostic software running when I got home, and I noticed the reported ignition voltage is right around 13v dipping to 12.8 when I turned on the A/C. I checked it at the battery and alternator and saw 13.7. Could this be part of the issue? What should I be seeing?

I definitely like the 24x conversion but I am on the fence on selling the car. So putting in $1500 which I can't get back isn't too appealing at the moment. I am debating about getting new spark plug wires and hook up the opti again. This is just a frustrating one to deal with because of the unknowns between the opti and delteq.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 PM

were did you mount the delteq box? If memory serves they called for mounting off of the head. If it were me I would put it on fender or fab up a bracket to get some space off of the head or anything to help keep it cool. I know someone even used some sort of insulation to protect theirs. Seems like someone even went in cab and think someone added fins to help cooling. The consensus seemed to be avoiding mounting it to a hot surface and allowing a bit of an air gap or airflow around it. Might buy you time or solve your problem. Might be worth a quick look at how it connects to the opti.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 PM

It is mounted on the head. I can try mounting it somewhere cooler. I have had this system on the car for, I think, 8 years. I wonder if age has just got to the delteq box. I just wish the issue was more consistent.

Last edited by Clean97Z; 07-15-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 AM

I have made some progress. I did some testing and from what I could tell the Delteq Box was the issue, so I removed the Delteq system and went back to the Opti for spark. It seems to have resolved the problem, but I want to put a few more days of testing on it to be sure. I do think the idle seems a little smoother than before but that could be in my head.

The only problem I have now is an elevated idle during the first few minutes of driving. I am going to reset the computer tonight to see if it had made adjustments for the Delteq.