Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Help plz.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:50 AM

Help plz.

My 95 formula has been giving me problems starting. It turns over but doesn't actually start right away. I have to hold the ignition in the on position for about 20 seconds while the car is turning over, then maybe it will start. It seems as though there is no spark but i do smell fuel. If I am lucky enough to get the car started I immediately notice that my lights (interior and exterior) are flickering, this is at night obviously. I can see the problem is electrical but is it ignition related? Any help is appreciated guys, thz!
Old 11-02-2008, 01:50 PM

If you're cranking a lot and the lights are flickering afterwards, then it is probably because you're draining the battery. Start with the basics. Check your fuel pressure and make sure you're getting spark.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

What's the voltage gauge indicate when its cranking and not starting? If the voltage is weak, its harder to start.

Does it smell really rich? Could be a problem with leaking injectors/fuel puddling in the intake. If you hold the accel pedal on the floor when you try and start it, does it start faster? Is it possible you have a problem with the coolant temp sensor, and its telling the PCM the engine is colder than it actually is, causing the PCM to use too rich a cold start mixture?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What's the voltage gauge indicate when its cranking and not starting? If the voltage is weak, its harder to start.

Does it smell really rich? Could be a problem with leaking injectors/fuel puddling in the intake. If you hold the accel pedal on the floor when you try and start it, does it start faster? Is it possible you have a problem with the coolant temp sensor, and its telling the PCM the engine is colder than it actually is, causing the PCM to use too rich a cold start mixture?
I never paid any attention to the voltage gauge when I was trying to start the car. I just went out to try and start the vehicle right after reading your response, and within a couple of seconds the car started right up, without me on the gas pedal. (weird coincidence.)

I kept my eyes on the voltage gauge and noticed that the needle jumped near red when the car first started. Then it dropped to the 3/4 mark which is still quite high for these cars being that they usually run at the 1/2 way mark. It seems that there is an overcharging problem perhaps. Like I stated before once the car is running the lights flicker. I am really confused now. Tell me what you think Injuneer.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Administrator

If the battery is weak, and the voltage is low, it affects the fuel pump and the injectors. I had my stock starter drawing too much power, and it took longer for the engine to start. Replacing the starter solved the problem.

You shouldn't have to touch the accel pedal to start the car.

After the engine starts, the battery has lost a lot of power, and it has to be replaced. Its normal for the voltage regulator to push the charging voltage higher for the first few minutes of operation in response to low battery voltage, to recharge the battery, and bring it back to ~13+V. After that period, the voltage should come down closer to the middle of the gauge.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM

I thought the problem was the starter from the get go so I had it tested and it came out good. I never assumed that my battery was bad because the alarm and lights work fine. And when the car is cranking the battery never shows any signs of being low or dead. It cranks hard the whole time.

I agree that I should not have to give it gas when starting the vehicle as I never had to before. Something I forgot to mention previously was that once the car initially starts, I can turn it off and try to star it again and it will start right up every time. It's when the car sits for say a day it becomes hard to start.