Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel system issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Unhappy Fuel system issues

Hey guys!

So i need some help from yall. My car wouldnt start yesterday it turned over but it wouldnt start. So i checked out the fuel filter (its a 97 Camaro RS, v6) and boy that fuel filter was the original one, needless to say dirty ooze came out. So my next test was with the fuel filter off will the fuel pump spray gas, well it didnt, so i went ahead and got a new one and started the trap door project, well a few hours ago i installed the new pump, reconnected all the lines and still nothing, wont start. so i removed the filter and it still wont spray. Is that even a good way to test the pump? What else could it be? By the way i changed the fuel relay today too, and i have a brand new three day old battery, my card had been dieing alot from lack of use and i kept having to jump it
Old 01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Re: Fuel system issues

There's a fuel pump prime connector in the engine bay, near the PCM. Connect 12V directly from the battery to the connector. Fuel pump should run, because that bypasses the fuel pump relay, pass-key and PCM interlocks. Try it and see what happens.

Appearance of the connector should be similar to this:

http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg
Old 01-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Well today i checked the pump again it works, then the pcm it works, I also did the fuel pump primer test and the pump sent gas, then i did the VATS bypass and still wont start, my security light has always stayed on constantly even before this so i dont know if that applies. so i have a friend who is good with electrical and hes going to look at it. any other ideas though? could it be non fuel related? its turning over just not starting. maybe the fuel injectors? I hate having to go to a dealer lol
Old 01-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator

To check the injectors, make sure that key on you have 12V to the pink wire at each injector connector. Connector off the injectors, measure the resistance across the two pins on the injector - should read in the range of 12-15 ohms. Then get a set of 'noid lights and verify while trying to start the engine that the PCM is supplying the ground to fire the injectors ('noid lights will flash).

Have you scanned it for codes? Problems with the circuits I described in the paragrph above will set codes.