Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Fuel pump vs regulator - help deciphering numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Re: Fuel pump vs regulator - help deciphering numbers

OK, so I now eliminated the EGR as well as the AIR. passenger side STFT keeps getting better but the LTFT on that side is still pegged at 25? (I only have about 1/2 mile drivign on it since all these changes though). I recorded a driving session but my scanner apparently will only print on a win 7 machine or older. It didnt want to stall on braking nearly as bad after the EGR delete, but my vaccuum wasnt any better so not sure why. As for the O2 readings, I did graph them on the device and watched for a while and O212 and O222 at idle would flat line at 0 for up to 12 seconds then spike a peak or two then flatline again, both would jolt up to .8 or so with giving it gas. the other two bounced back and forth between 0 to .8 constantly. Is it normal for after the cats O2 sensors to read that way? are they both bad? or is a problem with the cats? thanks!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Administrator

The PCM can’t relearn the LTFT's until it goes into closed loop. That means the O2 sensors have to get hot enough (600°F) to work, the coolant has to get to 140°F, and a timer has to time out - typically about 206 seconds from startup.

At this point, you really need to run a data log, using the OBD-2 version of Scan9495. The bits and pieces of data you are quoting from your scanner, and the errors are not adequate to do an in-depth analysis.

https://www.firebirdnation.com/forum...nner-software/

http://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s
Old 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SSTAT
Holy crap! I just got done reading all over the freaking internet about high overlap and smelly gas exhaust! Maybe thats it! From what Im reading you can get the smell with as little as a 4-6 overlap.....
I guess you didn't believe me when I explained that in post #13.

With that cam you aren't going to see any significant increases in vacuum. Typical of Bret's cams. Looking for a change in vacuum from the EGR repair is unrealistic. If you were looking at idle, the EGR valve is not open at idle.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:23 PM

I believed you! Your post was why I went reading about it. When I said "maybe thats it" I was referring to your advice, I was giving you credit and making fun of myself for not knowing it since it was all over the place with a simple search of 'smelly gas exhaust'!

So after I removed all the EGR stuff passenger side STFT continue to get better but LTFT on that side is still pegged at 25. But Ive only driven it like 1/2 mile since I did all the stuff above - not enough time I suppose? I recorded a bunch of data on my scanner but of course its only compatible with Win 7, not 10 so I cant see it. Regardless I graphed the O2 sensors and watched them for a while. O2s12 and O2s22 both would bottom out around 0 for 6-12 seconds then blip up once or twice then flatline again, giving it gas would get the voltage up to 0.85 or so. O2s11 and O2s21 would rapidly fluctuate between 0 and .85 constantly which is what I think they are supposed to do. Is this normal for after cat O2 sensors to flatline like that? Thanks!

Last edited by SSTAT; 07-04-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SSTAT
I believed you! Your post was why I went reading about it. When I said "maybe thats it" I was referring to your advice, I was giving you credit and making fun of myself for not knowing it since it was all over the place with a simple search of 'smelly gas exhaust'!

So after I removed all the EGR stuff passenger side STFT continue to get better but LTFT on that side is still pegged at 25. But Ive only driven it like 1/2 mile since I did all the stuff above - not enough time I suppose?
See first paragraph of post #17.

I recorded a bunch of data on my scanner but of course its only compatible with Win 7, not 10 so I cant see it. Regardless I graphed the O2 sensors and watched them for a while. O2s12 and O2s22 both would bottom out around 0 for 6-12 seconds then blip up once or twice then flatline again, giving it gas would get the voltage up to 0.85 or so. O2s11 and O2s21 would rapidly fluctuate between 0 and .85 constantly which is what I think they are supposed to do. Is this normal for after cat O2 sensors to flatline like that? Thanks!
See 2nd paragraph of post #17.

After-cat sensors will mimic the pre-cat sensors, but move over a narrower range. Sounds like yours are behaving oddly, but the after-cat sensors have nothing to do with how the engine runs - they are just there to check if the cats are installed and working.

Last edited by Injuneer; 07-04-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Thanks again for the great advice, I easily tripled my knowledge about my cars computer crap from you and I really appreciate it. Off to the tuner wednesday.