Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

91 RS Remove Fuel Tank Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM

91 RS Remove Fuel Tank Question

Hey all,
I need to replace the fuel pump in my 91 RS. It looks pretty easy however a freind said I would have to drop the rear axle to do it. As I look at it it looks like there is plenty of clearence with out droping the axle. Do I have to drop the rear axle?
Thanks
Dave
Old 10-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Remove the panhard bar and the track bar brace and the rear axle should drop enough to get the tank out. You may also have to undo the sway bar end links. Have done it twice but never removed the rear axle completely.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM

I was going to reply as I just did this then noticed it was asked in August. Hope its done by now...

And you do need to drop the rear end down, not out, just down.

Undo shocks and sway bar end links, remove springs, undo track bar and lower rear end down. I removed my heat shield but I don't remember if you need to. You need to undo the exhaust too, I took mine out. Then the tank will drop out as long as the car is high enough and the rear end is low enough.

Reinstall tank, put in new shocks, springs and sway bar end links/bushings since they are out. I didn't and had to go back in and replace my springs right after. Now I wish I had done it all at once.

This was my method... pics before I started dropping stuff out:

I must have made some adjustments since the jack stands are under the rear end in this pic...??
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM

I see this is old but for anybody else, I just jacked up the rear, cut the exhaust pipe off, unhooked the fuel lines and with a little effort, it dropped right out. Putting it back in was to difficult either. Just had to weld up one pipe and was done. How ever, if I ever wanted to get to the fuel pump again, I cut a access hole for the pump from the top and redesigned the fuel lines so I could disconnect them from the top. That way I never have to drop the tank again.