Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Is it worth it to get a tubular K-member?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 AM

Re: Is it worth it to get a tubular K-member?

Depends on what you want to do. I picked up mine on a GP I just happened to stumble upon. Like everyone else has stated the weight issue is there, although I don't think its quite 40lbs- perhaps with a full tubular suspension, not just the K-member.

The biggest reason I went with one was the added benefit of room to work around things. Only having a 1.25" tube blocking the bottom of the motor instead of 6" wide piece of metal is worth it to me. Plus the additional room for tubing should I go turbo was also a factor.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by boosted-lt1
Just make sure you are comfortable with the potential reduced durability on the street. There are certain brands out there that have been known to fail (develop cracks or fail catastrophically) with the rigors of street driving. Even if you get a real beefy one I would be inspecting for fatigue on a regular basis. And to me, a real strong piece does not offer significant weight reduction anyhow.

The road race guys have mixed feelings. Make sure to get their input.

-Scott.
The strong pieces are only like 3-4 pounds heavier than the light ones. (Umi vs Umi road race for example)

As per brands that fail? PA PA PA PA. Stay away from these. waste of money

Originally Posted by TT350
Not doubting you but I've never heard of a failure.
If you have any links handy post them please.
PA is notorious for failing.

BMR had 5-6 failures before they redesigned about 5 years ago. Haven't heard of a problem since.

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
Depends on what you want to do. I picked up mine on a GP I just happened to stumble upon. Like everyone else has stated the weight issue is there, although I don't think its quite 40lbs- perhaps with a full tubular suspension, not just the K-member.

The biggest reason I went with one was the added benefit of room to work around things. Only having a 1.25" tube blocking the bottom of the motor instead of 6" wide piece of metal is worth it to me. Plus the additional room for tubing should I go turbo was also a factor.
with the k member and lowers it is almost 40lbs
Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by boosted-lt1
Just make sure you are comfortable with the potential reduced durability on the street. There are certain brands out there that have been known to fail (develop cracks or fail catastrophically) with the rigors of street driving. Even if you get a real beefy one I would be inspecting for fatigue on a regular basis. And to me, a real strong piece does not offer significant weight reduction anyhow.

The road race guys have mixed feelings. Make sure to get their input.

-Scott.
I'm under the impression that the cracks and catastrophic failures are on street-driven or road-race cars when using the non-reinforced, drag-only K-member. UMI's road-race K-member is said to be up to the stresses of daily driving, and it's only three pounds heavier than the drag version -- saving 22 over the stock K-member vs 25 for the non-reinforced model.

UMI is the only brand I know of that has a road-race specific version.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:41 PM

I've got a umi road race version with upper and lower a-arms, everything adjustable of coarse. I really like the weight reduction, the added room, and the good looks. One thing to consider is alignments.

One concern though. My local Firestone wants me to come in to get it aligned at least 4 times a year, even though I drive it less than 4,000 miles a year. I've got a lifetime alignment so it's not an issue, but if I don't get it aligned as often as they'd like me to, they try to tack on an extra charge because it supposedly takes longer to align. I don't know if these aftermarket k-members get bumped out of alignment easier or what, hopefully one of the suspension expert will jump in with an explanation. I think they are just incompetent and BS'ing me, but its something to think about.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by LT1 POWR
I've got a umi road race version with upper and lower a-arms, everything adjustable of coarse. I really like the weight reduction, the added room, and the good looks. One thing to consider is alignments.

One concern though. My local Firestone wants me to come in to get it aligned at least 4 times a year, even though I drive it less than 4,000 miles a year. I've got a lifetime alignment so it's not an issue, but if I don't get it aligned as often as they'd like me to, they try to tack on an extra charge because it supposedly takes longer to align. I don't know if these aftermarket k-members get bumped out of alignment easier or what, hopefully one of the suspension expert will jump in with an explanation. I think they are just incompetent and BS'ing me, but its something to think about.
Thats bull****. Alignment wont get out any faster on that stuff than the factory stuff.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by LT1-TA
Thats bull****. Alignment wont get out any faster on that stuff than the factory stuff.
That's what I was thinking, they probably just want me to drop off my car so they can take it on a joyride. So 4 times a year is probably excessive then, right. Do cars get out of alignment while sitting in storage.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:51 PM

this original post is almost 2 years old...
Old 12-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by firetird
this original post is almost 2 years old...
Im sure that there are still alot of people out there that have questions about this so a 2 yr old post is still good. No need in starting another, and no need to beat a dead horse, luckily this is no horse.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:10 PM

I'm confused as to why no one has mentioned the actual feel of the suspension. My buddy and I were working on his Formula, did the entire front suspension. I don't know if it was all worn out and when we replaced it with the new stuff that's what I felt, but the handling DEFINATELY increased. Felt tighter, more solid, faster corners!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by LT1 POWR
That's what I was thinking, they probably just want me to drop off my car so they can take it on a joyride. So 4 times a year is probably excessive then, right. Do cars get out of alignment while sitting in storage.
Definitely not. Is is no different than your car was stock. It should not need aligned much at all. Doubt it would need it once a year if it doesn't hardly get driven.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 19z28camaro02
I'm confused as to why no one has mentioned the actual feel of the suspension. My buddy and I were working on his Formula, did the entire front suspension. I don't know if it was all worn out and when we replaced it with the new stuff that's what I felt, but the handling DEFINATELY increased. Felt tighter, more solid, faster corners!
The stock K member is a solid piece so it's more likely you faster cornering is due to other pieces that were freshened up; bushings, ball joints, etc.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
The stock K member is a solid piece so it's more likely you faster cornering is due to other pieces that were freshened up; bushings, ball joints, etc.
Or if you changed the caster/camber. I don't think I noticed too much from just the k-member and a-arms. I noticed more from the sway bars, shock/springs and strut tower brace.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Reading this 2 yr old thread convinced me to buy a BMR tubular K mbr Thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:41 AM

Good deal- You'll love it- esp all the added access it will give you..even if it weighed the same amount I would still swap it out.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Procharged94Lt1
Good deal- You'll love it- esp all the added access it will give you..even if it weighed the same amount I would still swap it out.
Ain't that the truth!!

Quick Reply: Is it worth it to get a tubular K-member?