Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Where do I take the pressure reading?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Where do I take the pressure reading?

Hello all,
I have been through the Vortech (s-trim w/intercooler) manual several times and have searched the forums but I can't figure out where the port is to get a "boost" reading. I have a boost gauge (mechanical) and no where to hook it to. Do I need to make a custom port or is there a port somewhere that I'm missing? If it needs to be custom, where is the best place to put it?
Thanks.
Hellions.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:05 PM

Re: Where do I take the pressure reading?

Originally Posted by hellions
Hello all,
I have been through the Vortech (s-trim w/intercooler) manual several times and have searched the forums but I can't figure out where the port is to get a "boost" reading. I have a boost gauge (mechanical) and no where to hook it to. Do I need to make a custom port or is there a port somewhere that I'm missing? If it needs to be custom, where is the best place to put it?
Thanks.
Hellions.
Just T off of one of the vacuum ports on the driver side of the intake manifold. You can get a T and some vacuum hose for about $2.00. There are two ports on the driver side and two ports on the passenger side. You can take your pick. You will want to zip tie all of your vacuum lines though.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6Pilot
Just T off of one of the vacuum ports on the driver side of the intake manifold. You can get a T and some vacuum hose for about $2.00. There are two ports on the driver side and two ports on the passenger side. You can take your pick. You will want to zip tie all of your vacuum lines though.
But won't that give me a vacuum reading? I want to be able to read boost/pressure.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:30 PM

It will give you boost and vacuum depending on what your throttle position is. My guage has two sides Vacuum and Boost. If yours is boost only it should still be hooked up this way.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:45 PM

Uh-oh.
I may have a problem then. I have my boost gauge (reads both vac and boost) tied into a T in between the FMU and the the bypass valve. The gauge constantly reads vacuum of about 5 pounds. Even when I am on the throttle the reading only moves to about 4 pounds of vacuum. If this reading should move to the positive or boost side of my gauge during acceleration, is it a good bet I have a problem?
Any ideas?
If the pressure always remains negative or in vacuum I assume the supercharger isn't supercharging...
Old 10-30-2005, 08:56 PM

You likely have the FMU & Bypass hooked up incorrectly as well.

First, tee into the line to your fuel pressure regulator for the boost gauge, it is close to the firewall & easy to route to the interior.

Second, tee into 1 port at the intake from the dr. side of the motor & put the tee at the intake with no other connections between it & the motor. This will ensure there is no other influence on these connections. Sounds like you have a check valve between the motor & your gauge that is retaining the vacuum.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by hellions
Uh-oh.
I may have a problem then. I have my boost gauge (reads both vac and boost) tied into a T in between the FMU and the the bypass valve. The gauge constantly reads vacuum of about 5 pounds. Even when I am on the throttle the reading only moves to about 4 pounds of vacuum. If this reading should move to the positive or boost side of my gauge during acceleration, is it a good bet I have a problem?
Any ideas?
If the pressure always remains negative or in vacuum I assume the supercharger isn't supercharging...
Yep, I would check your vacuum routing. It doesn't sound like your bypass valve is closing. You should have about 15" of vacuum at idle. When the bypass valve closes at WOT you should see boost in a proportional ratio to RPM.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:45 AM

97WS6Pilot and Lonnie,
You've definitely given me plenty to go on.
Thanks for the help.
Hellions