Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

S/C LT1 Data Logs for Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 05:21 AM

Re: S/C LT1 Data Logs for Review

Here's my new data logs with 'Right O2 Sensor Ready' field...
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oh...P3S2161187.zip
Thank you!

And something more. For now it is autumn and the temperature begins to fall down, so my S/C started to noise strange, maybe it will be good to buy repair kit for it? It is only two bearings and one belt in it...
Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Administrator

DTC 63 sets when the O2 sensor reading is stuck for 2 minutes between 350 - 550 millivolts. It appears in the log that as soon as the sensor reading exceeds 550 mV, the PCM sets the "ready" flag. It also shows that when the sensor is stuck closer to 450 mV for an extended period of time (although not for a full 2 minutes), that the flag changes to "0". As soon as the reading exceeds 550 mV, it switches back to "1".

I don't know the specific triggers for the flags, but logically, the same thresholds that apply to setting the codes may be applied to the flag.

But the sensor is still not operating correctly. If it was an open circuit, I don't think it would cover such a wide range (22 mV - 768 mV), while still not working correctly. Definitely some sort of intermittent problem, seeming to rule out a pure open circuit.

If you can't get both sensors out to swap them, I would just replace the right sensor, after very carefully inspecting the harness wires as well.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:39 AM

Hi there!
Something about half of a year has passed from my latest post here. On tuesday 13th of october 2015 my S/Cs impeller was crushed, and some small pieces of it flew to the intake but stucked in the throttle body. All the winter was spent for rebuilding my S/C, after that I reinstalled it to my Camaro, cause the wetaher was fine for working at open air.
A week ago I drove out of my parking zone to see how the S/C and engine work.
So I have all the same situation for now - right O2 sensor needs to be changed or tested on the left side.
Also another one case appeared - the throttle body needs cleaning, cause there was a situation, when RPMs stucked at 1500 at that time when I already pressed the brake pedal, so I did one sharp impact to the acceleration pedal and the RPMs went down to its normal 860.

But I have another one question. I started to examine how the S/C system was implemented on my car. So, it must consist of such parts: S/C head, fuel curve generator - FCG (found this white box in my dash board under the stereo system), peek-and-hold injector controller (found it mounted near the car's PCM), ignition control module (located near the fuse box), and also a 2 bar MAP sensor. So I can not find this MAP sensor. I found only the standard GM 039 (1 bar) MAP sensor located at manifold, but this one connected to the car's PCM - not to the FCG. So the quetion is: where can be located this 2 bar MAP sensor or where on the engine this sensor can take it's own pressure source?

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Are you asking where the MAP sensor is installed on a stock engine?

http://shbox.com/1/map.jpg

As far as sourcing, have you done an internet search? I think it's a common GM 2-bar MAP sensor. Let's move this to the "Forced Induction" forum, where people may have more info.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:29 PM

No, the stock MAP sensor I found in that place where it is located on all stock Camaros. But I try to find another one MAP sensor used for S/C in my setup, I know that it can be a 2 bar sensor and even GM by vendor. So I thought that it can be more easily found by the place of pressure source for it. How many manifold perssure sources does LT1 engine has?

If this question is out of topic here, please move it to appropriate part of forum, of course.

Thank you.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Administrator

There are multiple full-port vacuum connections in the LT1 intake manifold. Two on the passenger side, toward the back for the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line, and the HVAC control vacuum line. Three on the driver side, toward the middle - vacuum lines for brake booster, EGR solenoid, and Opti vent.

You don't want to run a long line to the MAP sensor, or it will dampen the sensor response time. Closer to the vacuum port, the better.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Thumbs down Re: S/C LT1 Data Logs for Review

Originally Posted by streetbad
Box end wrench
Spam

I believe the OP is asking where a separate 2 bar sensor would likely have been installed for his setup by the previous owner/installer. Like Fred said, it should logically be near the intake manifold somewhere off one of the mentioned fitting. I'm wondering what supercharger system you have, with a belt? Sounds like powerdyne or maybe an old Paxton? I have never heard of one with these controllers you speak of. Maybe I missed that in the long thread

Last edited by blown94; 05-07-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by blown94
Spam
I was trying to reply to a post about removing oxygen sensors.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by blown94
Spam

I believe the OP is asking where a separate 2 bar sensor would likely have been installed for his setup by the previous owner/installer. Like Fred said, it should logically be near the intake manifold somewhere off one of the mentioned fitting. I'm wondering what supercharger system you have, with a belt? Sounds like powerdyne or maybe an old Paxton? I have never heard of one with these controllers you speak of. Maybe I missed that in the long thread
That was not a spam, cause in my earlier messages I asked about how to remove O2 sensors that are about 20 years in use on my car, so that guy advcied me to use box-end whench instead of my open-end one.

So, I decided to stock up with a pair of new O2 sensors, looked for it on ebay, but recently a pair of new Denso 2344012 sensors appeared here in Ukraine in a price like in the USA, so I can get it more quickly and without high shipping price. Some guy bought it for his Z28 but recently sold his car, and those sensors became needless.

Some information about my car and its setup...
Before I bought this car there were at least two owners, but not installers. This car was shipped to Ukraine already with some supercharger setup, I think in erlier 00th. I have an old (maybe 2012th year) photo of this car, that shows some Paxton setup in it.

According to pictures I think it was Paxton SN2000 kit, that consists of: S/C unit, pipes, three extra injectors that spray in to the throttle, injector driver, additional 2-bar or greater MAP-sensor, and a fuel curve genereator (Paxta Map Fueler aka Carrol's Superfueler).
But then, maybe somthing was going bad with that S/C, and one of previous owners changed the main unit and pipes, so for now I have Powerdyne BD-11A main unit and pipes, but still Paxta Map Fueler, injectors and driver in the car.
But I can't find a MAP-sensor for that fuel curve generator, maybe someone has removed it from the car with it's harness. I think, I must to inspect the back side of that white box (Paxta Map Fueler) to find the harness.
More late photo (August 2014th) with another main S/C unit and pipes.

You right, this is a belt driven S/C, also with a belt inside to drive an impeller.
So, what a controller we are speaking about?

Screenshot from the Superfueler (c) manual.

Fresh photo of rebuilded S/C that I've already installed back in its place.

I don't know how it was, but I can't find your original post. But I didn't forget about your post, so that wasn't a spam, that was a good advice! So thank you!

Last edited by Novo; 06-11-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Administrator

All of this confusion could have been avoided if you hit the "quote" button in the post you were replying to, then said "box wrench", or without the quote, at least said "use a box end wrench on the O2 sensors". Then everyone would have known what you were talking about.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Administrator

In you second photo from 2012, I think the second MAP sensor is in the very center of the photo, near the rubber coupling the connects the S/C outlet to the aluminum inlet elbow. There is a rubber hose that appears to run from the driver side of the intake manifold to the MAP sensor. The sensor appears to be connected to an electronic module that sends wires back toward the firewall.

When you switched out the Paxton S/C for the newer S/C and installed a different elbow, what did you do with the unit I just described above?
Old 06-12-2016, 03:50 PM

I think you're right! That black box with metal plate we can see with two nuts or bolts in it - probably the MAP-sensor. But we have a problem - that Paxton S/C main unit with its pipes were changed by some of previous owners, and I can't communicate with any of them.
For now near the firewall on passenger side (where the PCM is) the injector driver is located, that must be connected to fuel curve generator (that white box) located under the stereo. I think that the MAP-sensor from the second photo was connected to that white box too, so its harness also tracked to firewall.
Here is the rough schema...

So I think, if I won't find any additional MAP-sensor in my setup, I must add it by my self...
It is strange for me, why previous owner didn't reinstall that MAP sensor? It is bad to run on lean. I think that the standard PCM tries to correct the mixture to good ratio until the boost, where the PCM will be powerless...

Last edited by Novo; 06-12-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Run lean on boost, the cylinders will detonate (knock), and you'll suffer engine damage, like cracked ring lands, cracked piston (the stock hypereutectic pistons are very brittle), damage a head, etc. You need to run it on the rich side, and use the timing **** to retard the timing.

Is it possible the MAP sensor is inside the car, near the controller? There is a vacuum connection on the passenger side of the intake manifold, and the rubber hose runs through the firewall to the heat/air conditioning controls.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 AM

Everything is possible in my car. I think that there are a lot of places where MAP sensor can be located, especially near the firewall. I was surprised to find the injector driver there monuted under the windscreen wipers's grill. I don't know exactly what to start from, but I think I have to remove the dash under the stereo and examine what is connected to that white box. Also I will try to locate holes in firewall to examaine what is going through...
Thank you!
Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Most of the loose wiring, and the hose for the heat/AC control vacuum are routed through the big rubber grommet behind the PCM

Firewall Wire Feed

Quick Reply: S/C LT1 Data Logs for Review