Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

opinions on cheap turbo kits??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:51 PM

I want boost on my 69 Camaro (going to be a 400), was originally thinking blow through carb and super charger, due to cost and complexity of turbos, but I see these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...004546791&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...204165345&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...030920123&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...218370436&rd=1

any one know if they are garbage? or some what decent and workable? Only thinking about trying to get 15 psi or so, definately less than 20. (will likely start 5-6, and work up to 10, may hit 15)

Last edited by yzguy; 03-14-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:20 PM

Junk junk junk, you can hardly buy A good turbo for that price

any auction that has this for a picture lmao should be avoided IMHO

Old 03-14-2008, 03:51 PM

They all use the exact same headers too, which by that, the style and the color would lead me to believe that they are similar to those used by companies like SSAutochrome - pieces of low grade "stainless" steel made and welded in china that they sell all over the freakin place. They look solid, but I'd bet good money after a few months the welds would start to crack and fall apart.

Yes, they are extremely cheap - but the company selling the kits is making a profit on them, so you know that the contents are even cheaper. As was said, a decent turbo is going to cost that much or more on its own. Bearing life (for example) is something that takes more than "mass production" to master, even though these turbos are probably garret units that have been reverse engineered. Grade of alloys used is a big factor.

Things to notice - the turbo housings (compressor or turbine) do not have any numbers or markings from the casting. So really, the numbers qouted from the auction cant be verified till you have the turbo in your hand.

The years those kits are "to fit on" would require *substantial* modification to make work - espicially the LT1 era. Even the 3rd gens would be pretty tough. For a 1st gen, there would indeed be plenty of room though. Consider yourself lucky

The intercooler pipes are already polished and appear to be very very thin wall - while structurally they are probably solid, I'd bet they are made of another very cheap alloy and not decent aluminum - I've seen them before, and they are *not* suitable to be welded on, and will often crack when trying to get a good bead rolled onto the end to help hold the couplers on.

Intercoolers with both inlets on one side, yet they give you two sets of the identical intercooler piping.

No-name/marking blow off valve that wants to look like a Greddy unit.

There are turbo and supercharger options available that arent very expensive - but for under $1000 you're not going to get anything thats worth it.

Of the kits though, atleast the one from "on 3" seems to have the most complete assortment of parts.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 PM

i think thats a scion tc in the ad....
Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM

yeah, I figured they were junk.... I was expecting along the lines of $2000 for most of what I need for a supercharger kit used (closer to $3000 new), and was pretty sure the turbo stuff was more (you just have to go twin tubo on a v8 ). Also when I look a bit closer and see that these sellers mostly sell import car stuff, that kinda makes me question them even more....

I've got some more reading to do.... anyone have links on info, or to point me in any direction on turbo's, blowers, kits (I know.... I will be searching to, but if someone reading this has specific info they want to post, I'd appreciate it )
Old 03-15-2008, 02:49 PM

do you have any experience with forced induction? pm me if you want, i should be able to answer a good amount of your questions or point you in the direction of someone that can
Old 03-15-2008, 08:43 PM

I am curious to know if anybody has actualy run any of those kits and what their results were.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:42 PM

here is what I asked juicyjems (seller of one of these kits):

Are you a speed shop? or just reselling items? (any real experience with motor mods)

this auction states "Internal Wastegate at 14.5psi ", is this able to be changed in the future if I wanted to upgrade? that is, if I wanted to be able to change the boost from say 10 to 20? or it is just set at 14.5, and that is it?

the auction also says "Suited Power Range (BHP): 700-1100 BHP" do you have any real numbers from customers using this kit? (boost levels, hp, tq...) kinda hard to believe 1100 hp from a sbc with only 14.5 psi

I am considering using turbos in a 69 camaro (was thinking supercharger, but may consider turbos) with a 400 sbc, AFR heads and will likely use a blow through carb. I like the idea of starting around 10 psi, and likely going up to 15 (not sure if I would press my luck up to 20 yet).

Thanks,
Mark
Here is what he responded with:
Yes, you can update the internal wastegates for more pressure. You can also just use a boost controller. I have been putting togather turbo kits and boosting cars for 10years.
The kit is capable of over 30psi and can flow enough air to support 1100+rwhp. This of course would be a race motor with race gas and a stand alone engine managment system. Most guys bolt the kit on, kee the boost low and make around 700. Thanks!
I am still not so sure... seems way to good to be true. I mainly question how long they will last.