Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Meth vs N20

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:55 PM

Meth vs N20

I hear alot about water injection and how important it is on s/c engines.
Given a choice between 50/50 meth/water or using nitrous, which is preferable? They both seem to increase power and cool the intake charge. What additional advantages does meth injection offer?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:46 PM

Re: Meth vs N20

I was wondering the same thing. As near as I can see using nitrous can cool as well as increase power to higher levels than meth. More nitrous...more power. As far as the meth kits go it seems as thought you get more power from more aggressive tuning ability. The meth does add some additional fuel by it's nature. I also this cost is a benefit of meth. Here in the Pgh area nitrous will cost you $55-$110 to fill a 10lb bottle depending on where you go. If nitrous runs out you gotta find a place to refill. With meth you can pull into K-Mart.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

An engine runs on heat. The more fuel you burn, the more heat you generate, thus more power. The problem is, you need to add oxygen to burn more fuel.

When you inject nitrous oxide, you are adding oxygen, which allows you to add more fuel.

Water and/or alcohol injection is done for a different purpose. Different from nitrous that is.

Getting back to the need to add oxygen, another way to do it is to add more atmosphere, which of course contains oxygen. Leaving aside the physics, compressing the air to jam it into the engine creates heat. That heat can lead to detonation, which breaks important things and causes your engine to stop running. Permanently.

Again, leaving aside the physics; injecting alcohol and/or water cools the charge and suppresses detonation. Thus you can "push" the limits further.

Last edited by LameRandomName; 03-11-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:45 PM

I always love this debate. . .

The fact of the matter is that they accomplish exactly the opposite purpose.

Methanol cools the intake charge and adds octane, thus making the engine directionally safer. N2O cools the intake charge and adds lots of Oxygen, thus making the engine directionally less safe. Don't believe me? Check the EGT's. They go down with Meth and up with Nitrous.

People call nitrous and "intercooler", which irritates me. It wrongfully gives the connotation that nitrous makes the engine safer.

So which should you choose?

- If you want to simply make the engine safer, add Meth.
- If you have the capability of adding more boost, add Meth and boost.
- If you're stuck with a certain boost level and want more power, add Nitrous.

It's pretty much that simple.

Mike

Last edited by engineermike; 03-11-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 PM

Or, do meth/water, boost, and nitrous

Rich
Old 03-11-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause

Rich
Can we throw a turbonator in there too???
Old 03-11-2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause

Rich
Ya what he said! My engine loves the meth and the juice!

Engineermike thanks for explaining that I have never had the pateince. He is 100% correct!

Jeff
96 SS BLOWN
96 TA 396 D1
Old 03-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

My question is; how soon does the DEA show up with all this talk about METH and JUICE?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by quickmedic1
I was wondering the same thing. As near as I can see using nitrous can cool as well as increase power to higher levels than meth. More nitrous...more power. As far as the meth kits go it seems as thought you get more power from more aggressive tuning ability. The meth does add some additional fuel by it's nature. I also this cost is a benefit of meth. Here in the Pgh area nitrous will cost you $55-$110 to fill a 10lb bottle depending on where you go. If nitrous runs out you gotta find a place to refill. With meth you can pull into K-Mart.
I had no idea that N2O was that expensive Is that the same prices everyone else is seeing?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 AM

What if you would spray n2o on an intercooler or co2 wouldnt that cool as well?? How much of a gain would you see if any? I thought that would cool the intake temps well but could be wrong.

Thanks
Shane
Old 03-12-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Everett
What if you would spray n2o on an intercooler or co2 wouldnt that cool as well?? How much of a gain would you see if any? I thought that would cool the intake temps well but could be wrong.

Thanks
Shane
That's been done, and it works, but I don't have first hand knowledge of it, just seen it at the track.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:28 PM

I was gust wondering would the cost in hp out weight the benifits of blowing the air charge over an a/c coil to cool it.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:32 PM

The meth/water injection is extremely popular in the turbo buick scene. I myself have an SMC alky kit on my 85 GN (non-intercooled) and it's the best money ive spent on the car so far. With my setup TA48 turbo/50#inj/chip/CAI on just 93oct i get knock around 12psi, on 110 i can go as high as 18psi, 93 and the alky and im seeing 23psi with less than 2 degrees knock...most of the time none. Also it works as a extra safety net, i blew a boost line off and my boost shot up and buried the gauge at 30psi. Im sure without the alky spraying i would have been replacing the motor. Just my insights and a little heads up on how well it works from first hand experience.
Dale
Old 03-12-2006, 10:47 PM

So who here is boosted using the spray and meth? And of those people, how much timing are you pulling and on how many pounds and how much of a hp shot of nitrious? Just throwing a meth kit on my boosted/n2o 383 now and now i'm curious.

Ken R.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by camaro75racer
. . . i blew a boost line off and my boost shot up and buried the gauge at 30psi. Im sure without the alky spraying i would have been replacing the motor. . .
Try THAT with a nitrous "intercooler"!

Quick Reply: Meth vs N20