Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 PM

I agree, I see too many turbo cars in the 2.0 60ft range when they should be down in the 1.6x range or better. Hell my car went 1.75 60ft first pass, and within a few passes I had it dialed down to a 1.56 60ft back to back, without the use of a 2 step.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Damn, now I'm really confused! I do like the whine of the blower, but I really like the fact that boost comes on strong but can also be controlled on a turbo. My car makes tons of torque and power on the bottom end, so even if there is lag I don't think that I would notice it that much. On the other hand I am not looking forward to all the piping and extra underhood heat. Decisions, desicions!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:04 PM

get a ram air hood just to cool stuff down a bit, im getting a harwood 21/2" cowl ram air just to have circulation or fresh air into the engine bay, plus i think it looks sweet too
Old 01-23-2008, 10:07 PM

I see alot of local cars running water-to-air intercoolers. I have the standard air-to-air FMIC. If I do decide to go turbo will this be okay? Should I consider Meth/water injection? Or should I just go with the flow and run water-to-air? Obviously water-to-air is more race oriented, but I really don't see that this car is gonna see a whole lot of street duty. That S88 is looking really nice right now!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by chasmosis1
I see alot of local cars running water-to-air intercoolers. I have the standard air-to-air FMIC. If I do decide to go turbo will this be okay? Should I consider Meth/water injection? Or should I just go with the flow and run water-to-air? Obviously water-to-air is more race oriented, but I really don't see that this car is gonna see a whole lot of street duty. That S88 is looking really nice right now!
What size FMIC do you have? If its mostly a race car, the liquid to air IC is a good choice because you can keep putting fresh ice in the cooler between runs. If this is a going to see some cruising though, I'd stick with the FMIC and assing in meth injection doesnt hurt!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by chasmosis1
Damn, now I'm really confused! I do like the whine of the blower, but I really like the fact that boost comes on strong but can also be controlled on a turbo. My car makes tons of torque and power on the bottom end, so even if there is lag I don't think that I would notice it that much. On the other hand I am not looking forward to all the piping and extra underhood heat. Decisions, desicions!

That's the thing w/ me too...that and the oil lines etc. And the last few years I've had the worst luck w/ oil control issues, I'd hate to have that issue again and be TT then you've got to fix more than one thing since T's feed off the engine oil. I like T's too and the fact you can be stealth & control boost. I was going to make the switch this summer but decided against it. Plus's and minus's to both systems. Really is a hard decision. I'll keep the F-bod S/C and when I find a C5 Z06 she'll be TT'd. The best of both worlds.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 AM

One downside to the turbo is I drive around and my car sounds like a STOCK CAR, so I NEVER get any looks until I get on it. A cam will change that some though.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 AM

I'm getting old (38) not really but I like the stock car sound now. I don't like attracting attention to myself or the car which is VERY hard to do w/ an F1. Isn't that contradictory/oxymoronic? LOL
Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1982z28with18s
One downside to the turbo is I drive around and my car sounds like a STOCK CAR, so I NEVER get any looks until I get on it. A cam will change that some though.
to some of us, thats an advantage. I had true duals before, and they drew a LOT of attention....more than i wanted. Stock sounding car adds to the sleeper look.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1982z28with18s
Thats why they make boost controllers, with a GOOD one you can control boost competely to make a car hook with a turbo setup. I plan on 140+ mph traps and the car will hook on a cold street, cold tires with the boost controller setup I plan to run, also and do it on the stock wheels and a small drag radial. Great thing is IF I did start spinning bad, I could keep the pedal pinned and with the press of a button on the steering wheel, drop boost to gain traction back. With the blower your off the gas trying to get it to hook back up, but you still have lots of power, you can't drop off the power level.

Plus the main advantage of the turbo is you can just flat out turn the boost down ON THE FLY or back up ON THE FLY. This means I can drive around everyday on 6lbs, beat the crap out of my car on less power which means I'll be putting LESS strain on everything. Then if some bike pulls up next to me, I can go from 6lbs to 9lb to 12lbs to 14lbs(if need be) on the fly, mid race. Good luck doing that with a blower.
Do you have this boost controller setup working on your car now? Or is this something you are planning to do later? It sounds like it would work.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 01-24-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 PM

I think its all up to the original poster and what specifically he wants (besides just big numbers)

Its already been established that the Turbo will bring on the boost/power lower in the RPM band so that will give you greater power areas in the RPM band. However, if you are talking about this for a street car that you actually want to get some usable traction below 100 MPH, then you need to consider that a blower might be better as its gradual build up of boost and power will allow for better traction while still maintaining the possible RWHP gains of a large Turbo.

I think I might be just about the only one who has 600+ RWHP and can still get traction in 1st gear on cold street tires (Nitto DR's). By the time I am at max boost I am already moving along fast enough where I can still hook up awesome. I can also run with guys with 150-300 RWHP more than me because I toast them off the line and down low while they are doing the sliding dance. By the time they hook up, I'm usually almost done with the 1/4 mile. Now, racing at 100+ MPH when they can actually hook up is a different story.

You need to know what you want the end result to be. Do you just want the bragging rights of huge RWHP so you can dyno race? If so, a huge Turbo is the way to go. But I have to reiterate the fact that if you want to be able to use this RWHP on the street, you might want to go with a blower, or at least a smaller Turbo and keep the power at a usable level.

Last edited by CALL911; 01-24-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:47 PM

i think you would want a bigger turbo to make it more usable as it takes longer to spool so its acting more like a centrifugal blower?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by subarubill96
i think you would want a bigger turbo to make it more usable as it takes longer to spool so its acting more like a centrifugal blower?
Do you even know what you are saying? We have already established that there is virtually no lag here, and even a large turbo can achieve max boost at half the RPM that a blower takes to make all its boost.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 PM

Everyone keeps talking big turbo, boost controoler, 1000hp, quick spool time, no lag, etc. and there is no doubt that turbo systems are impressive, but as I have stated before, there are some equally impressive blower cars. Find somebody with one and ask to go for a ride...It will remove ANY doubt you might have regarding the ability of the car and no one will need to play with ***** or switches either.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 97WS6Pilot
Do you have this boost controller setup working on your car now? Or is this something you are planning to do later? It sounds like it would work.
I ran two stages before and it worked great, no reason the 4 won't work, it's a very simple setup.

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions