Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:22 PM

Looking for suggestions

Well it's all fun but I'm getting bored, so it's time to step up. I am currently in the process of building a 9" so I can get the power to the ground without breaking it. I am going to pull the motor and tear it down as well to install splayed caps, so I may as well modify it while I'm there.

My question is this:

In my setup (see signature) what would I benefit the most from:

(1) heads, long tubes, and T-trim

or

(2) Scrap the blower and go turbo, bigger injectors, and boost control.

I'm pushing towards turbo, but I would like some opinions as well!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 PM

turbo hands down,more efficient power, depending on size you can have quick spool so your getting more low end get up and go. plus it will be similiar price or cheaper depending on how you do it
Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Turbo if you want big numbers. Otherwise a t trim and longtubes
Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by chasmosis1
Well it's all fun but I'm getting bored, so it's time to step up. I am currently in the process of building a 9" so I can get the power to the ground without breaking it. I am going to pull the motor and tear it down as well to install splayed caps, so I may as well modify it while I'm there.

My question is this:

In my setup (see signature) what would I benefit the most from:

(1) heads, long tubes, and T-trim

or

(2) Scrap the blower and go turbo, bigger injectors, and boost control.

I'm pushing towards turbo, but I would like some opinions as well!
What are your goals? A T-trim with the mods in your sig will probably max out around 675-700rwhp. Is that enough for you? If so, great, easy decision.

If not, then you need to look at a bigger blower (like a YSi), or step into a turbo setup.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:25 PM

YSi and methanol injection would bring that car to life. Also you should consider a boost referenced ignition box (MSD BTM etc.) and pull timing with the box instead of your pcm timing tables. It will give you a great midrange boost in power.

I've been using basicly stock timing tables and pulling 1.5 degrees of timing for each 1 pd of boost. Its got power from 1500 all the way to 6200rpm and is very responsive on the streets. Relatively inexpensive for the amount of power that I gained.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 01-21-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM

slomarao & RealQuick, Is it ever enough? Easy answer, NO! I like big numbers. 97WS6Pilot, I realize now that I don't have it in my signature, but I am running an MSD BTM & 6AL as well. Thanks everybody for the input. I was at the dyno today and watched an LT1 383 with a 96mm turbo on low boost (8lbs.) pull 837 RWHP, but ran into some oil pressure issues before seeing any real boost. So I think I have found the way that I am gonna go. I'm thinking maybe 90mm? Go big or stay home!
Chas
Old 01-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by chasmosis1
slomarao & RealQuick, Is it ever enough? Easy answer, NO! I like big numbers. 97WS6Pilot, I realize now that I don't have it in my signature, but I am running an MSD BTM & 6AL as well. Thanks everybody for the input. I was at the dyno today and watched an LT1 383 with a 96mm turbo on low boost (8lbs.) pull 837 RWHP, but ran into some oil pressure issues before seeing any real boost. So I think I have found the way that I am gonna go. I'm thinking maybe 90mm? Go big or stay home!
Chas
PTE91.5mm turbo should be good for ~ 1200rwhp or so. There are other turbos out there to check out that are actually smaller in overall physical size (easier to package). Checkout the S88 form www.forcedinductions.com and do a search on ls1tech.com on "S88" and you'lll see some results.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 PM

wow, your guys are making me jealous. i was happy just with a t76 lol
Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM

honestly, what are your goals for the car? Is it going to be a street car? drag car? what

IMO, over 600RWHP is too much for the street. Thats why I am going with a small(er) turbo. It will spool faster than such a big one, and will be plenty fun for the street, and give good results at the track too. Remember, theres two parts to going fast at the track

Traction and horsepower

if you dont have traction, the HP is worthless.

Hooking 900RWHP is a lot harder than hooking 600RWHP
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by reamo04
Traction and horsepower

Thats the truth...
Old 01-21-2008, 11:53 PM

You never really mentioned that you want big numbers. If that is the case turbo all the way. The blower setup isnt going to produce the numbers of a large turbo.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
honestly, what are your goals for the car? Is it going to be a street car? drag car? what

IMO, over 600RWHP is too much for the street. Thats why I am going with a small(er) turbo. It will spool faster than such a big one, and will be plenty fun for the street, and give good results at the track too. Remember, theres two parts to going fast at the track

Traction and horsepower

Hooking 900RWHP is a lot harder than hooking 600RWHP
I agree, what are the goals for the car? With the turbo setup at least you can turn it down, make it more reliable, easier to hook, and still make the big power #'s you want.

I plan on the street launching on wastegate(3lbs), and not touching high boost(18lbs) until 3rd gear(which should be ~100mph w/ the 3.08's).
Old 01-22-2008, 05:55 PM

A small turbo will limit your power compared to a big supercharger.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 PM

I drew alot of attention with this one. Thanks alot guys! My goals where originally a fast street car with occasional drag race. Now I have gotten a hunger for power and I am looking more at a drag car with occasional street romp, so I would say Pro Street / Super Street. I know that you can't go fast without traction, but there are some really good sticky compound tires out there now that are "street legal". I've got a buddy that just sold his 8 second street car (Mustang) to have the rolling chassis of his next car built which is "streetable" and built for 200mph. So basically I believe that you can never go fast enough. When you break something that just means you found your weak-point!
Chas
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
You never really mentioned that you want big numbers. If that is the case turbo all the way. The blower setup isnt going to produce the numbers of a large turbo.
You should take a look at the timeslips of Lisa33 or Jeff 96 SS if you don't think a supercharger will beat a turbo setup. LOL.

Last edited by 97WS6Pilot; 01-22-2008 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions