Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Looking for information on 17# cog pulleys for a P600B(anyone remember these)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 08:59 AM

Looking for information on 17# cog pulleys for a P600B(anyone remember these)

As the subject says, I bought one of these used and am finally getting the car back together. After reading the recent post about cog pulleys not being ideal for street driving. I was wondering if there was a bigger bypass valve available or blow off valve that would get rid of the pressure and take the strain off the belt.

If that's not the option, what did these people used to control the belt issues?

Thanks for any help

Mike
Old 05-10-2004, 07:28 AM

Re: Looking for information on 17# cog pulleys for a P600B(anyone remember these)

Originally posted by Pullngz
As the subject says, I bought one of these used and am finally getting the car back together. After reading the recent post about cog pulleys not being ideal for street driving. I was wondering if there was a bigger bypass valve available or blow off valve that would get rid of the pressure and take the strain off the belt.

If that's not the option, what did these people used to control the belt issues?

Thanks for any help

Mike
A 17# cog pulley?.........i would wouldnt recomend even going with that small of a pulley. ATI doesnt even recomend going with an 14# pulley. Bascially your going to nbe over spinning your blower considerably(sp).
Old 05-10-2004, 08:37 AM

Re: Re: Looking for information on 17# cog pulleys for a P600B(anyone remember these)

Originally posted by MEAN LT1
A 17# cog pulley?.........i would wouldnt recomend even going with that small of a pulley. ATI doesnt even recomend going with an 14# pulley. Bascially your going to nbe over spinning your blower considerably(sp).
Agreed . Plus many people have had issues shredding belts when going cog. I would highly recommend going with an SD Concepts spring loaded tensioner.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:20 PM

Well like I said I bought the kit used, if the cogs end up being a problem, I guess I will have to look into a ribbed setup.

Just out of curiousity,how high are you guys spinning your motor? Hell, maybe I was lied to, I don't know. I was told that this was a 17# cog setup, and I thought I remembered hearing of at least 3 people from this board running them. Again this was 3- 4 years ago relying on memory here.

Going by: dia of crank/dia of blower*3.05*6100 RPM = 59536. Close but under the ATI rated 60,000 max impeller speed. That was based on an 8" crank and a 2.5 " blower pulleys.

Can someone enlighten me to a formula to figure out boost output. I realize that there are ALOT of variables that go into making boost, but isn't there some sort of constant?

Thanks again
Mike
Old 05-11-2004, 05:19 AM

Well like I said I bought the kit used, if the cogs end up being a problem, I guess I will have to look into a ribbed setup.

Just out of curiousity,how high are you guys spinning your motor? Hell, maybe I was lied to, I don't know. I was told that this was a 17# cog setup, and I thought I remembered hearing of at least 3 people from this board running them. Again this was 3- 4 years ago relying on memory here.

Going by: dia of crank/dia of blower*3.05*6100 RPM = 59536. Close but under the ATI rated 60,000 max impeller speed. That was based on an 8" crank and a 2.5 " blower pulleys.

Can someone enlighten me to a formula to figure out boost output. I realize that there are ALOT of variables that go into making boost, but isn't there some sort of constant?

Thanks again
Mike

Trust me when I tell you this. You will run into problems when running a P600B close to it's redline. I should know since I crashed two impellers.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:42 AM

IDOXLR8,
That really sucks!! What kind of boost are you running now? With what blower and motor combination?

Also will any other blower fit the p600b mounting bracket? Or do I have to change everything?

Mike
Old 05-11-2004, 07:03 AM

IDOXLR8,
That really sucks!! What kind of boost are you running now? With what blower and motor combination?

Also will any other blower fit the p600b mounting bracket? Or do I have to change everything?

Mike
I am running a completely different blower (F1). I was seeing 10lbs of boost with a completely built 383 and P600b (15lb pulley). When you start running too small of a blower pulley you run the P600b out of it efficiency zone which basically leads to bearing failure and a crashed impeller.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by IDOXLR8
I am running a completely different blower (F1). I was seeing 10lbs of boost with a completely built 383 and P600b (15lb pulley). When you start running too small of a blower pulley you run the P600b out of it efficiency zone which basically leads to bearing failure and a crashed impeller.
hehe, now just because IDOXLR8 was having problem with his doesnt mean everybodys is like that . I have one a well as havent had any of that happen on mine, but then again maybee I just jinxed my self. But for the last couple of years before I had the blower the ower was seeing 12-14 psi of boost depending on weather conditions. So far so good, but i wouldnt go with cogs with the setup. Just get a 12-rin setup and run it like that.

Last edited by MEAN LT1; 05-11-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by MEAN LT1
hehe, now just because IDOXLR8 was having problem with his doesnt mean everybodys is like that . I have one a well as havent had any of that happen on mine, but then again maybee I just jinxed my self. But for the last couple of years before I had the blower the ower was seeing 12-14 psi of boost depending on weather conditions. So far so good, but i would go with cogs with the setup. Just get a 12-rin setup and run it like that.
Dam don't you read what you write. You would recommend a cog setup, lol? . You are right just because it happened to me does not mean it will happen to everyone else. I guess I have had my share of luck with ATI.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by IDOXLR8
Dam don't you read what you write. You would recommend a cog setup, lol? . You are right just because it happened to me does not mean it will happen to everyone else. I guess I have had my share of luck with ATI.
Your right, i guess i didnt see that.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. You mentioned you were seeing 10# with a 15# pulley setup on your 383. What kind of compression are you running? I would imagine 1 3/4" primaries on the headers? How much work on your heads?

Just out of curiousity, what are the pulley sizes on a 15# setup on your old p600b?

Mike
Old 05-11-2004, 07:06 PM

I saw around 10-11 pounds with the 12-rib belt, 12psi rated blower/crank pulley combo on a 355. Never had a problem with the impeller, but I had to send it back to ati one time several years ago because of a bearing noise. It came back good as new, ati said there was nothing wrong with it, ha ha.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. You mentioned you were seeing 10# with a 15# pulley setup on your 383. What kind of compression are you running? I would imagine 1 3/4" primaries on the headers? How much work on your heads?

Just out of curiousity, what are the pulley sizes on a 15# setup on your old p600b?

Mike
I was running 9.5:1 compression, hooker longtubes. I do not remember the pulley size but I believe it is a 3.4 pulley.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:06 AM

12 & 15# were the only two sizes I ever saw for the P600. The 12# can be bought from ATI (Lonnie Patvis) and the 15# were from ASP I believe.

I had a set of 12# pullies ordered, but they never came and I had to fight it out w/ Ramchargers to get my $$$ back since I don't have a Procharger anymore.