2016+ Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and General Discussion All 2016+ 6th Gen Camaro news, photos, videos, and General Dsicussion

Initial 6 Gen Camaro pricing and options: epic fail?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:12 PM

Initial 6 Gen Camaro pricing and options: epic fail?

If you haven't noticed, some basic pricing information is coming out. I'm looking over this initial pricing information while looking over the equipment list (available from Camaro6.com for download or Camaronews.com, I forget which site...). I'm in the beginning stages of getting upset and perhaps a bit concerned.

First off the pricing. The base car is coming under the base 5th gen car a bit when it comes to price. However, the base 6 gen now comes with a 4 cylinder with less horse power than the 5th gen 6 cylinder. So, we are getting less. On the other end of the spectrum we get the 1SS V8 6 Gen. It's almost $2,800 more than the 5th Gen 1SS. Not good.

The good news appears to be all prices include destination charges ($995). Plus, all cars appear to [more or less] have the RS package included now where before that was extra. So, the pricing is smoothed out a bit when kept in perspective.

However...

What is really grabbing my attention is the equipment options. Keep in mind I'm gunning for a V8 for my 6 Gen purchase.

For the 5th Gen, I would've been happy with a manual trans, cloth seats, the large stereo system, and the sunroof. In fact, that would've been my preference (oddly enough, I don't care for leather seats in cars. I have no idea why...). This configuration was attainable in the 1SS version. In this area, that car would've been $38,000 - $39,000 without taxes depending on other options.

According to the equipment list for the 6 Gen, you cannot get the large stereo system (Bose) in the 1SS trim package which has the cloth seats. So if I want the large stereo, which is the one amenity I really want, I have to go up to the 2SS model. Freaking odd as how the Bose system is not available for the 1SS but is available for all the other trim packages. Anyway, now I have to get leather seats which I can live with from a function standpoint but I have to pay for them.

What about the other options? Dual Zone air? I think I can live without that. A regular single zone HVAC will suit me just fine. It would be nice if I could get the single zone, which would also save money, but I can't if I get the 2SS because I want the Bose stereo. I wonder what I'm going to do about all of those lights and such? Those are items which sound great but I can live without them particularly if it will knock several hundred bucks off the price. The good thing is the manual transmission is standard on everything and the sunroof appears to available for all trims as well.

I'm loving the new Camaro (on paper, I still need to see and test drive it...). However, to get the V8 I want (manual trans, Bose Stereo, Sunroof, etc), it looks like it will cost $43,000+ in my area easy. And that's before taxes.

I'm particularly concerned with the options as Chevy has them laid out now. My fingers are crossed as I think happy thoughts to encourage GM to rethink some things regarding the options for this car.

I was hoping to buy a V8 Camaro the middle of next year. However, I'm starting to lean in the direction of waiting a year to see how this all shakes out.

Then again, I may go test drive a V6, decide I am happy with it, and just buy one fully loaded minus the convertible. I could swing that.

Last edited by cmsmith; 08-21-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:59 PM

Re: Initial 6 Gen Camaro pricing and options: epic fail?

I found this in another forum. It's from a lady who works at a GM dealership. Take this with a grain of salt but her posts in the past have been dead on.

========

Here ya go....from Becky...

2016 Camaro Pricing - Eff. Start of Model Year Prod.
2016 MODEL YEAR VEHICLE PRICE
EFFECTIVE WITH START OF 2016 MODEL YEAR PRODUCTION

Base Model Prices

¨ 1AG37 Camaro 1LT $25,700.00 + DFC $995.00
¨ 1AH37 Camaro 2LT $29,800.00 + DFC $995.00
¨ 1AJ37 Camaro 1SS $36,300.00 + DFC $995.00
¨ 1AK37 Camaro 2SS $41,300.00 + DFC $995.00

Option Packages
Option Code Description List

¨ WRS RS Package $1,950.00
¨ Y3W Technology Package $800.00
¨ ZN2 2LT Convenience & Light Pack $2,800.00

Additional Options
Option Code Description List

Cooling Package
¨ Y4Q Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package with WRS or RPO RTH (20" wheel) $485.00
¨ Y4Q Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package without WRS or RPO RTH (20" wheel) $1,285.00

Engine:
¨ LGX 3.6L V6, DI, VVT $1,495.00

Exhaust Systems:
¨ NPP Dual Mode Exhaust System $895.00

Heater:
K05 Engine Block Heater $75.00

Interior Trim
¨ BRD Ceramic White Interior Accent Trim Package $500.00
¨ BRJ Adrenaline Red Interior Accent Trim Package $500.00
License Plate Bracket:
VK3 Front License Plate Bracket $15.00

Paint:
G7D Bright Yellow $395.00
¨ G7E Garnet Red Tintcoat $395.00
¨ GB8 Mosaic Black Metallic $395.00

Radio and Navigation Equipment:
¨ IO6 Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation $495.00

Stripe Packages:
¨ BO3 White Pearl Rally Stripes $470.00
¨ BO4 Black Metallic Rally Stripes $470.00
¨ C2U Silver Rally Stripes $470.00
¨ C3O Black Rally Stripes $470.00
¨ DUU Black Center Stripe $470.00
¨ DUV Silver Center Stripe $470.00
¨ DW7 White Pearl Center Stripe $470.00
¨ DW8 Black Metallic Center Stripe $470.00

Sun Roof:
CF5 Power Sunroof $900.00

Suspension:
¨ F55 Magnetic Ride Control $1,695.00

Transmission:
¨ MX0 8 Speed Automatic Transmission w/ Remote Start (BTV) & Paddle Shift $1,495.00

Wheels:
¨ 56R 20" 5-split Spoke Premium Gray Painted Machined Face Aluminum $200.00
¨ 56V 20" Rear 5-Spoke Low Gloss Black Aluminum $200.00
¨ 56W 20" 5-Spilt Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum $200.00
¨ RTH 20" 5-Spoke Low Gloss Black Aluminum $800.00
¨ RTJ 20" 5-spilt Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum $100.00
Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 PM

So, the 2ss is the car with the one amenity I want, the Bose stereo. With destination charges the 2ss is $42,295. With no extra options. Holy ****.

I would love a sunroof. I would consider a 5-Split Spoke Silver wheel as well.

Basically, the car I wanted, which was pretty affordable during the 5th gen years, is not a minimum $45,000 in my area.

Goat *****. That's unreal. You're pricing yourself out of competition Chevy.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:22 PM

I'm on Ford's site pricing a new 2016 Mustang GT. I can get a convertible for a touch more than the "base" 2ss. You messed up bad Chevy. Oh man...
Old 08-28-2015, 01:46 PM

The pricing is what it is. . .

If there is an issue, GM will adjust accordingly. . .

There is also the used route. . . There are fully loaded 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertibles with less than 10,000 miles on them going for around $45K. You just have to have searches set up on cargurus.com, or cars.com, etc. and keep an eye open for them. They come and go about once or twice a week.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by brothaslide
The pricing is what it is. . .

If there is an issue, GM will adjust accordingly. . .

There is also the used route. . . There are fully loaded 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertibles with less than 10,000 miles on them going for around $45K. You just have to have searches set up on cargurus.com, or cars.com, etc. and keep an eye open for them. They come and go about once or twice a week.
If I'm paying 45k, I'm getting a 2ss with Magnetic Ride Control.

Having said that, I'm calming down a touch regarding the prices. I'm really upset with the options though. Like I said, the Equipment list for the new Camaro is showing the Bose Stereo system is available for everything except for the 1SS. Say what?! I'm looking over the options for the 2ss and just seeing nonsense. How many people actually want HUD, heated steering wheel, heated seats, memory seats and other items as well. I've never owned a vehicle with these options and will die a happy person if I never do. Make these items options instead of standard. Making these items options would drop $1500 to $3000 off the price. If someone wants them, add them since they are... options!

I really hope Chevy sits down and thinks about this a bit. The more I'm looking at this car, the more overboard I think they have gone.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

GM has adjusted availability of trim+option combinations before, and they might do it again. Reducing the total number of combinations simplifies the manufacturing process a lot, and the take rate on 5th gen 1SSes with the better sound system was low, so they've eliminated that combination to keep their costs down, which helps keep our costs down.

You should call in to the Camaro Show podcast (586-486-3182) and tell Chris and Jason about this. There are people within GM and on the Camaro team who listen to the show, and so it's easily the most direct way for your request to be heard.

Also worth considering: get a 1SS and upgrade the sound system yourself.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 PM

Hmm.. I never considered calling into the Camaro Show. I listen to it every week. It could be fun. I may have to get his Periscope app or whatever so I can watch the show live.

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
GM has adjusted availability of trim+option combinations before, and they might do it again. Reducing the total number of combinations simplifies the manufacturing process a lot, and the take rate on 5th gen 1SSes with the better sound system was low, so they've eliminated that combination to keep their costs down, which helps keep our costs down.
Thanks to the work I do, I understand what you are saying and the point you are trying to get across. The problem is: the price of the car went up in all trims relative to the 5th Gen. Yeah, the bottom end dropped in price but it has the 4 cyl so you are getting "less" than the previous version. To get a comparable version to 5th Gen, you have to add the V6 to the car which is an option now thereby raising the price. The V8's went up quite a bit.

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Also worth considering: get a 1SS and upgrade the sound system yourself.
I hate to consider upgrading sound systems on a brand new cars nowadays. The thing is, a lot of vehicles have built functionality into the audio system which can affect the car. I have seen some vehicles where the stereo is used to control aspects of the car security setup, as an example. On the new Camaro, I have seen videos where adjusting the HVac controls causes the stereo to do funny stuff. What would that do to Camaro if you swapped out sound systems?

Would putting a custom stereo in do anything negative to the vehicle warranty?

Having said that, six speaker stereo systems, such as found within the Camaro, sound pretty good nowadays. Used to be I just about couldn't stand the standard audio systems manufacturers installed. I may be able to enjoy and live with the standard audio system in the new Camaro. I know we have some newer Chevy vehicles we use for company cars at work. The stereo systems are nothing to be ashamed of.

Bottom line: when they hit dealer lots I will have to test drive one and just find out for myself.