Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Installing new kit. Turbine interfering with bypass pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Installing new kit. Turbine interfering with bypass pipe...

The kit fits well so far. I have both tubular manifolds on and the crossover. Two 'hiccups' so far. One, the #1 cylinders plug won't start because the tip of the plug hits the primary. Only that one though. I've ordered some Accel shorty/header plugs and they'll be here Monday or Tuesday. Next, when I tried to mount the turbo (PT76GTS), the Turbine housing hits the little bypass tube off the water pump. After trying a few times, I got out from under the car and went back to my laptop to review the pictures that Jon had sent when he was welding up the kit and saw this.

So it looks like all I have to do is turn that pipe. I can't do it now since we got 10" of snow (no garage) last night, so I thought I'd ask you folks, (a) is it difficult to turn that pipe like Jon has his and (b) if you can turn it, is there any resulting leakage of coolant that has to be addressed with a sealer?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM

Re: Installing new kit. Turbine interfering with bypass pipe...

As far as the bypass pipe goes - why not just remove it and put a tidy aluminum pipe plug in there? You might need to borrow a pipe tap if you don't own any.

But to answer your question, you can turn it and it shouldn't leak. I was skeptical of that when I first did my blower kit back in 2000, but there were no problems with it.

For the plug fitment problem, you're going to need some clearance for the boot and maybe a fiberglass cover, too. One issue with shorty plugs is the shorter arc over path, but I believe they have the ribs in them that make that longer. Let us know how that works out - I've never tried Accell plugs and am not sure who makes them.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 AM

Kevin,
Thanks for the response. In my hunt for short plugs that weren't Accel, I did see someone assert that NGK actually made Accels plugs. Don't know if that's true but interesting.

There were other suggestions about shorter than normal plugs but I annoyed the guy at the autoparts place already, having him pull single plugs of various makes so I could pull them out of the box and compare them. No luck on that.

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
As far as the bypass pipe goes - why not just remove it and put a tidy aluminum pipe plug in there? You might need to borrow a pipe tap if you don't own any.

But to answer your question, you can turn it and it shouldn't leak. I was skeptical of that when I first did my blower kit back in 2000, but there were no problems with it.

For the plug fitment problem, you're going to need some clearance for the boot and maybe a fiberglass cover, too. One issue with shorty plugs is the shorter arc over path, but I believe they have the ribs in them that make that longer. Let us know how that works out - I've never tried Accell plugs and am not sure who makes them.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Though I don't see the post here, I got the internal msg and subsequent picture Kevin. Thanks! With all those email addresses on there, I can send them some questions on spark plug lengths, heat ranges, etc.
Dave
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM

The pipe should turn fairly easily. Or you could just remove it as mentioned. Easier to plug it if you can bolt the water pump to a table though.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:07 AM

DirtyDaveW:

The tube can be turned with a little effort. I used a long barrel socket from a 1/4" set. I don't remember which size other than it must fit snuggly inside the tube. Using the socket ensures the tube won't be distorted and cause a tube to hose sealing problem. Looks like you're headed towards an exciting spring!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM

Thanks!
Dave

Originally Posted by NJ-LE
DirtyDaveW:

The tube can be turned with a little effort. I used a long barrel socket from a 1/4" set. I don't remember which size other than it must fit snuggly inside the tube. Using the socket ensures the tube won't be distorted and cause a tube to hose sealing problem. Looks like you're headed towards an exciting spring!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM

O'Reilly Auto Parts sells the Accel shorty plug Silvertip
Racing Plug. Its about 3/8 inch shorter then stock. If you
still have problems with it you may have to get your
trusty pipe and hammer out and notch the header
tube.

From my VORTECH instruction manual:

"For clearance purposes, the 5/8" elbow that exits the
water pump must be rotated carefully to desired
position. Using a small piece of pipe or cylindrical object,
insert into the elbow and rotate counterclockwise. Use
caution not to distort or kink the tube."
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
Though I don't see the post here, I got the internal msg and subsequent picture Kevin. Thanks! With all those email addresses on there, I can send them some questions on spark plug lengths, heat ranges, etc.
Dave
I sort of abused those poor guys whenever they came to see me - hell, I'm still running the racing plugs they gave me for free, and I got a couple sets of plugs for my Hayabusa that I haven't even used yet. And I only ever bought one SKU of plug from them. But, in their favor, I always got excellent service and I think their plugs are among the best out there so I give them props whenever I can. They are a subsidiary of a big ceramics company that makes insulators and ceramics for chips and NTK o2 sensors. They have wider heat ranges than their competitors, so that means when your plugs are hard to change, theirs are a better bet to work first time. At any rate, I highly recommend NGK plugs above others.

Whatever you do, if you email the president of the company, don't drop my name or else he might remember me leaving him in the lobby that day and dispatch a ninja after me and I wouldn't have to kill the poor guy over some silly loss of face because of failure to get a spark plug contract
Old 02-12-2013, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the tips. Like you and the others said, it wasn't hard to re-orient the pipe. I slid and appropriately sized long socket over the tubes end, inserted a 5" extension into the socket, gave a minimal effort lift and it was reclocked just fine.

I don't think they have O'Riellys up here (Upstate NY) but it's nice to know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by InsuranceGuy
O'Reilly Auto Parts sells the Accel shorty plug Silvertip
Racing Plug. Its about 3/8 inch shorter then stock. If you
still have problems with it you may have to get your
trusty pipe and hammer out and notch the header
tube.

From my VORTECH instruction manual:

"For clearance purposes, the 5/8" elbow that exits the
water pump must be rotated carefully to desired
position. Using a small piece of pipe or cylindrical object,
insert into the elbow and rotate counterclockwise. Use
caution not to distort or kink the tube."
Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Hehehe.. yeah, we wouldn't want that I just got the Accels I'd ordered from Jegs. I'll try to put them in later. I had also ordered an -06 AN to 18mm power steering (AN fitting for high pressure side of steering pump). Too big for the pump.... I'll have to order the -06 AN to 16mm and try that.

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
I sort of abused those poor guys whenever they came to see me - hell, I'm still running the racing plugs they gave me for free, and I got a couple sets of plugs for my Hayabusa that I haven't even used yet. And I only ever bought one SKU of plug from them. But, in their favor, I always got excellent service and I think their plugs are among the best out there so I give them props whenever I can. They are a subsidiary of a big ceramics company that makes insulators and ceramics for chips and NTK o2 sensors. They have wider heat ranges than their competitors, so that means when your plugs are hard to change, theirs are a better bet to work first time. At any rate, I highly recommend NGK plugs above others.

Whatever you do, if you email the president of the company, don't drop my name or else he might remember me leaving him in the lobby that day and dispatch a ninja after me and I wouldn't have to kill the poor guy over some silly loss of face because of failure to get a spark plug contract