Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Inercooler/methanol injection

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 AM

Inercooler/methanol injection

I know I must install an intercooler to avoide detenation running 8lb boost at 10.5:1 comprestion.Would lowering the intake charge further with methanol injection allow Me to run higher boost?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:49 AM

Re: Inercooler/methanol injection

I am runnning a custom PTK air to water intercooler and will be purchasing a snow performance meth kit stage 2. With 10.5-1 you cant really get away with alot more boost. I forget what you sig says, do you have forged pistons?? Raising the boost a lb or two would be all I would do. As you know, 10.5-1 is way too high for a boosted motor especially with hyperexplosive stock slugs. The meth works great and is said to be equivilant to around 120 octane. Coupled with an efficient intercooler I would say the only thing I would worry about is your already high compression. So you can see from above that even with 120 octane on a good day, you still have the 10.5-1 plus if you go over 10lbs of boost, this all as you know adds to more total compression when under boost. So if you started out at a lower comp level like 8.5-1 you could run a ton more boost as long as your octane was up with the meth with no detonation. Maybe somone on here will have a link to a graph for static compression vs boost pressure. Go get Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Contains alot of info along with a chart that talks about this. Goodluck!
Old 12-08-2005, 12:10 PM

I run 17-18psi, no intercooler with a water/alcohol injection setup from www.kennedysdynotune.com

Rich
Old 12-08-2005, 02:57 PM

rskrause.Thank You for Your input and the link.I am very interested in your setup since We both have 1995 Z-28 383's.Could You please tell Me what Your static comprestion is.If I can get the same results without the added expence of an intercooler I would be very happy.Tell Me more.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by NoStock
rskrause.Thank You for Your input and the link.I am very interested in your setup since We both have 1995 Z-28 383's.Could You please tell Me what Your static comprestion is.If I can get the same results without the added expence of an intercooler I would be very happy.Tell Me more.
~7.8:1

Rich
Old 12-08-2005, 03:30 PM

Alcohol injection will help some at that boost level, as it will have some cooling effect. It's effects are magnified at higher boost though. I can run ~16psi on 93 octane pump gas in the GN. With the alcohol running, coming on at about 14psi, i can get 25psi with no knock on the same gas. Many people on the turbo buick forums have tested methanol against straight denatured alcohol (ethanol) and there isn't much difference at all, if any. I'd rather run ethanol anyway since it's less corrosive. I get 100% denatured at lowe's for about $8/gal... or used too, not sure if the prices have changed. The GN has been in pieces for over a year now.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
I run 17-18psi, no intercooler with a water/alcohol injection setup from www.kennedysdynotune.com

Rich
Do you have any pictures of the water injection set up and how much of an improvement did you see? Also how often are you refilling the water tank?

-B
Old 12-08-2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by blown383
Do you have any pictures of the water injection set up and how much of an improvement did you see? Also how often are you refilling the water tank?

-B
Everything is tucked away, so really there isn't anything to show in a pic. I have had water injection on the car ever since I installed a blower, so there are no "gains" to show.

Rich
Old 12-09-2005, 05:46 PM

Can I run ethenol/methanol or water injection insted of an intercooler and have the same cooling efect to avoid detenation.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:11 PM

Can I run ethenol/methanol or water injection insted of an intercooler and have the same cooling efect to avoid detenation.
yes
Old 12-10-2005, 01:17 PM

Just make sure you never run out of methanol while in boost. Also straight up water injection, 50/50 water/methanol blend and pure methanol all have different effects and need to be considered. You can always have an intercooler and methanol injection, which many people are doing at this point.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:21 AM

I'm seeing 13-14# boost with my S-trim. No intercooler just
SNOW PERFORMANCE water/methanol(50/50) and set to
come on at 4.5lbs. MSD-BTM set at zero(0) retard. Datamaster
is registering 30 degrees timing at full boost on 93 octane
pump gas. I'm running 9.6:1CR.

Gain? I picked up a consistent .14 in 1/8 going from
6.89's to 6.75's. Speed picked up 2-3mph.

Emil:93Z,383,S-Trim,water/alky
Old 12-11-2005, 01:58 PM

I dumped my intercooler and installed an alky kit I'm running 22#s on a 9to1 396 and a 100 shot. the most boost I saw with IC was 18#s I use pure meth and the best kit availible is here. http://home.att.net/~alkycontrol/index.htm

I wasn't sure how my combo would react to the Meth but it works great and seems to really love that little shot of juice mixed in

Jeff
96 SS BLOWN
96 TA 396 D1
Old 12-12-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff 96 SS
I dumped my intercooler and installed an alky kit I'm running 22#s on a 9to1 396 and a 100 shot. the most boost I saw with IC was 18#s I use pure meth and the best kit availible is here. http://home.att.net/~alkycontrol/index.htm

I wasn't sure how my combo would react to the Meth but it works great and seems to really love that little shot of juice mixed in

Jeff
96 SS BLOWN
96 TA 396 D1
Are you running your shot on pump gas too?

Jerry
Old 12-12-2005, 04:14 PM

if you have both, can you run even higher boost?

Quick Reply: Inercooler/methanol injection