Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

anybody who has put a turbo where is didnt belong please inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 11:04 AM

anybody who has put a turbo where is didnt belong please inside.

hi,
i just bought a 91 ford festiva,to drive everyday,and was wondering,would it be a pain,and or cost to much,to mount,say like a factory eclipse turbo on it?i would like to have some more power,and ive never messed with forced induction,so what all would i need to do to accomplish this,and would it even work?my festiva is fuel injected,andi was thinking just finding a turbo,and having the exhaust shop weld it into my exhaust,and is it just pretty much a matter of running the air intake tubes up into the intake,or is there alot i need to learn yet?thanks
p.s. i know its not a chevy,but this is a forced induction thread,and i do own 3 camaros,just trying to make my little go getter a little faster getting there...thanks again.

Last edited by pimpinphil; 05-15-2003 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:14 PM

haha, turbo festiva. Never seen one of those, but there is one around here w/ a jug on it.

You could do a junkyard setup and do like you said(kinda). You'd also have to fab a crossover pipe, and oil lines, etc.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:28 AM

lol
yea sounds a little off the wall,but when your used to driving a 97 z,with a decent amount of power,and step into a 4 cyl egg look alike,with none,need to make the space a little,not to mention it would be fun to make the swap,and have bragging rights,when i blow the doors off hondas,lol,but really,what all would i need to buy to do a junkyard buildup?like i said,im not looking for 800 hp,lol,but 25% raise would be nice,and i think a eclipse turbo would do it,would i need my computer reprogrammed?i know i would need to upgrade fuel delivery,but would i need a fmu?and of course i know i would need a turbo,im not sure what you mean by a crossover pipe,but the oil lines shouldnt be much of a problem,the turbo would be right beside the oil pan,lol,thanks for your time reading this.
phil
Old 05-17-2003, 04:42 PM

Lots of the mitsu and Honda guys are doing just this.. check this site for tips and tricks:

Home Made turbo

Most are not doing much to the computer programming, you can add bigger injectors and/or an FMU. The headers can be made out of weld ell's, cheap, or if you can find someone to cast weld a flange on yours, that would even be cheaper ( I am not sure what material your stock header is made out of, if it is steel tubing, that is even easier to modify). Make sure your turbo is mounted high enough above the oil pan to have good drain back.

So far as a crossover, that is a V8 thing, someone wasn't reading the fine print about your fourbanger!