Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Any reason not to use sealant on the T4 steel shim gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 AM

Any reason not to use sealant on the T4 steel shim gasket?

Seems like a good candidate for some copper sealant to me but since no one says to do that that I've seen, there must be some reason not to, am I right?
Just the dry shim on the exhaust inlet flange appears to allow some exhaust gas to escape, judging by the soot on one area of the shim when I dismount the turbo. What's everyones opinion on use of sealant on the shim?
THanks,
Dave
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM

I don't even run a gasket there. Sealant wouldn't hurt anything but if you are leaking I bet the pressure in front of a t4 (or any) turbo would push the sealant out too.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Wow.. no gasket at all? How's the sealing? Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by jsetzer
I don't even run a gasket there. Sealant wouldn't hurt anything but if you are leaking I bet the pressure in front of a t4 (or any) turbo would push the sealant out too.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM

Seals great - use a spare housing when you weld up the flange to keep everything straight.

This was on my t70 setup. I had insane backpressure though the little MP. I know there have been lots of metal to metal sealing surfaces in different applications. Everything has to be straight and clean though.

Last edited by jsetzer; 03-29-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Doesn't your steel gasket have a raised embossed edge?
Even if you have a small leak it wont matter. You've got 3.2 billion tons of air flowing every second, and half is 'leaking' out the wastegate anyway, a small leak is nothing.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM

Yes. It does have that embossed/raised perimeter. Good point about the mass of air. I'm just trying to make sure as much gets to the compressor as quickly/efficiently as possible, then let the WG dump the excess.
While the car was down, I had my machinist cut and reweld the wastegate so that the exit pipe point horizontally instead of down. This was to get some additional ground clearance and, I'm going to weld a pipe from the WG dump pipe to my Intermediate Pipe so I don't have that Jet like whoosh. As it was, watching peoples mouths gape open when I pulled away from them so hard was priceless. I just want them to think it was all motor I now have a black grill over my intercooler so that should help hide things a bit more as well.

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Doesn't your steel gasket have a raised embossed edge?
Even if you have a small leak it wont matter. You've got 3.2 billion tons of air flowing every second, and half is 'leaking' out the wastegate anyway, a small leak is nothing.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
Wow.. no gasket at all? How's the sealing? Thanks for the reply.
Just use red rtv... no gasket.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 PM

I used Permatex ...The Right Stuff no gasket on my flanges.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Figures. I had already ordered part# 30143 before I got responses here. Lol... Well, I'll just keep it in it's package and get the stuff you guys are using.
Thanks for the tips guys!
Dave

Originally Posted by Z8'S
I used Permatex ...The Right Stuff no gasket on my flanges.

Last edited by DirtyDaveW; 03-31-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 PM

i always use a gasket just for the fact that it can still blow. RTV wont blow out lol. Not sure what damage could happen if the gasket wants to blow and it cant.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
i always use a gasket just for the fact that it can still blow. RTV wont blow out lol. Not sure what damage could happen if the gasket wants to blow and it cant.
The seal at the flange is only to stop an exhaust leak.It is not like a head gasket that you want to blow instead of breaking a piston. I know dozens of people with huge power numbers that use "RTV" and doesn't blow out.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Z8'S
The seal at the flange is only to stop an exhaust leak.It is not like a head gasket that you want to blow instead of breaking a piston. I know dozens of people with huge power numbers that use "RTV" and doesn't blow out.
sorry, I should have said the change of RTV blowing out/leaking is a lot less.

Ive never had RTV blow out when using it as a header gasket. I know mike jones uses RTV on his stuff and if you can go 4's in the 1/8, well, your doing something right to begin with. Should I have an issue with my gasket, i'll probably switch over to RTV.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Alot of the mustang turbo kits (B&G kit and Pony down kit) use the 2.5" round T4 flange which do not have gaskets designed for it. All their customers use the red RTV... and have been for years.